PDA

View Full Version : When to trim shrubs/hedges?

sms8921
06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a variety of shrubs and hedges that need trimmed very bad at a local DQ. The owner wants me to trim them the beginning of July. Is there a certain time frame I should do this? It works perfect that I am usually slow then. I dont know the correct names of these shrubs or hedges. Any help is appreciated!

cgaengineer
06-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Generally when needed but after they flower is a good rule of thumb. No later than about 45 days before first frost is my latest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
06-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I mostly use the " after flowering rule" myself.
But the D.Q. won't relate to this and will want nice shaping, when they say.
In and out like a "blizzard"

All I can suggest is to plan the work during a couple of cool days.
Use a clean and very sharp saw.

When you prune back some-thing, you are also removing the outer leaves that have developed protection for the plant. They're tougher and can withstand the sun and wind.

The newly exposed leaves require time to acclimate and create their own protection.

I don't normally do the following method myself....but I do see alot of drive thru's and restaraunts where all of the shrubs are quickly shaped with a hedge saw.

Unfortunately this leaves some stubs with no leaves.

You can go back after with hand pruners and quickly cut off the high profile stubs and make the plant look more natural.

Search: Dr. Alex Shigo

Smallaxe
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
In northern climates we trim this time of year because the new growth has finished for the most part, and it is good to get it shaped before it hardens off... removing branches on the other hand is best done during dormancy... No worries with doing what the DQ wants... :)