PDA

View Full Version : MR-8 Fixtures?

Steve Atkinson
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Anyone still buying and installing fixtures that use the MR-8 lamp? What brand of fixture are you buying?

Or anyone still maintaining existing systems using this lamp?

irrig8r
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a Jayliter you can have cheap. And I've seen others on eBay.

Did a quick Google search for MR-8 LED...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00737LCBE

Only $2.99 ea.

But also only 107 Lm...

starry night
06-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Anyone still buying and installing fixtures that use the MR-8 lamp? What brand of fixture are you buying?

Or anyone still maintaining existing systems using this lamp?

I've never even seen an MR8. What prompts the question?

Lite4
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
never used em, never will.

Steve Atkinson
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I believe the fixtures using the mr-8 lamp were designed for small spaces, low profile where a standard l/v fixture would be visible or out of place.

The mr-8 lamp has always been problematic. Gets very hot, short life, pins easily break, and that was always a hotspot because of the narrow beam patterns. The Jayliter that Gregg mentions here was designed to use a Ushio mr-8 lamp that incorporates a clear lens. No lens built into the fixture..

My question comes from a few requests for Brilliance to offer a mr-8 retrofit lamp. The responses (and lack of) here adequately answer that question.

LLC RI
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Let me chime in here. I use MR 8's from Lightcraft Outdoors... they have MR 8 and MR 11 that match.. same body style, just smaller. I use them to uplight porch columns because they are small and not often noticed. I've also used them on the side walls of an inset front door uplighting and downlighting the area, and I aim the lights to the door from above to light their wreaths at Christmas.

I think it would be a good idea to make a nice MR 8 retrofit lamp. Since the fixture is brass, the fins would likely touch the sides of the body and the whole fixture would be like a heatsink.

It wouldn't have to be that powerful, but enough to cast some nice light on an 8-10 foot tall porch column.

Steve Atkinson
06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the input George. There is something coming out that may be useful for your scenarios. Details available soon............