PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z Double Blades - I Tried It.

dhicks
08-14-2000, 09:04 PM
Today I installed double blades on my Toro Z 62Ē SFS Deck. I have the high lift blades on the top and a set of Atomics on the bottom.

I mowed for about four hours using the double blades. I stopped several times to make sure the blades were in a perfect + pattern. They were! The cut using the double blades is drastically improved and the striping is excellent considering my previous posts re Toro Striping kit.

The only thing I donít like about the double blades is the Atomics really pulverize the grass blades, which creates more grass dust than I am use too. The other dislike is the increase in noise the double blade set-up makes.

I give the double blade set-up a 98.

Evan528
08-14-2000, 10:41 PM
dhicks, did you do this by modifying the cradles? Please eamil me... im very intrested in what it took to use the double blade method now that the grass is growing so feircly. Evan528@aol.com

[Edited by Evan528 on 08-15-2000 at 02:58 AM]

dhicks
08-15-2000, 09:39 AM
Andrews:

No I did not check the belt and pulley temperature. However, thanks for reminding me. However I did grease the spindles prior to starting the double blades for the first time.

dhicks
08-15-2000, 09:48 AM
EVAN528:

I cannot e-mail you. Your user profile does not allow me to send private mail. Contact me thru my web page. Believe me, it was no big deal to install the second pair of blades by just using a 5/8" lock washers between the two blades to take up some of the slack. Both blades are snug as a bug... and the blades remained in a perfect + pattern after four hours of mowing.

However, Evan528 made a great point re: belt and pulley temp. This I will have to monitor.

DanG
08-15-2000, 09:51 AM
I tried it on my Z's also
I had to add a spacer in between the two blades to get the bottom blade to sit even with the bottom of the saddle.
They seemed to stay in alignment ok but i only used it for awhile like this.
You have to remmember that the blade is lower now so the height you set the deck at has to be higher.
for example: set it at 3.25" - 3.5" to get an 3" cut

dhicks
08-15-2000, 09:55 AM
Thanks DanG. Are you still doing the double blade thingy? If not, I would appreciate your comments.

DanG
08-15-2000, 02:18 PM
dhicks- No i've not tried it again.
with all the rain up here(ny) i'm having enough problems just trying to stay caught up. that and the grass is so wet it didn't make much difference when I did try it.
I used mulching blades on top and normal blades on the bottom, maybe i'll try some other set up next time.
I used 2" flat stock 1/4" thick to make up spacers in between the blades that & seemed to work nice,
Maybe I'll try having the blades next to each other next time & put the spacer on top.

Mid Rivers
08-15-2000, 03:05 PM
I am not sure I understand the spacer. What is that needed for? I could understand a lock washer so the blades stay in the same position. I am interested in the idead behind this and any other info.

Richard Martin
08-15-2000, 05:15 PM
I am also in the soggy N.E. (MD) and all of this rain is making grass grow like wild. I put double blades on my Exmark 36 and it made a big difference especially on the crabgrass. I used the factory blades on the bottom and Gators on top.

BRL
08-15-2000, 11:11 PM
You guys talking about Toro Z's - is that what might be called a Z Master? I told a competitor about the double blade trick (his Z Masters were not in front of us, so I don't know what brand they are). He mentioned his bolt set up is different and I am guessing this has to do with the cradle you guys are mentioning. He wants to try it & I wanted to pass along any hints & tricks dealing with the cradles that you guys have come up with, if that's the mower you're talking about. Thanks.

TGCummings
08-16-2000, 01:19 AM
Been running double blades on my Exmark 36 the past two days, and I'm loving the difference. I have factory blades on bottom with factory mulchers on top. As soon as possible, I'm going to get a set of high-lift and gator blades to experiment with different setups, as Eric suggested, particularly during Fall leaf season and Spring growth.

On lawns that aren't growing much in the heat, there's not much to see, but on recently fertilized, well-irrigated lawns the difference between one and two blades is phenomenal!

Thanks again, Eric!

-TGC

jeffyr
08-16-2000, 07:03 AM
TGC,

You are using double blades on your 36" ?
I wanted to try, but fear of the little 14 HP choking stoped me.

jeff

Eric ELM
08-16-2000, 07:57 AM
I had 2 different 60" 20 HP Kohlers that would turn double blades without any problems. That's almost twice as wide of a cut as yours with just 6 more HP. The older DC we have has been spinning doubles for over 3,000 hours now with just a 22 HP on a 60" deck.

TGCummings
08-16-2000, 09:24 AM
Jeff,

Yeah, I'm running two blades on the 36" with a 15 HP Kawasawki engine. Only been in the field with it for two days but I use the machine almost constantly now, and I can report no problems to date. The engine doesn't seem to 'drag', though the machine is a bit louder.

And y'know what? Those blades *do* manage to stay in a + formation all on there own (with proper amount of torque). ;)

-TGC

little green guy
08-16-2000, 09:40 AM
14 hp is plenty for a 36", I run them in my 36" w/ a 14 hp engine and it works great. I also run double blades on my 48" bobcat w/ a 12.5 hp engine and it works good. Believe me the 14 hp is plenty.

jeffyr
08-16-2000, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replys.

That does it....I'm tryin this 2 blade setup next chance I get.

jeff

DanG
08-17-2000, 11:21 PM
For the toro you have to add a spacer to take up the extra gap in the blade bracket. If you cross the blades in an "X" there's a gap between the two blades & the upper blade won't tighten down because the lower blade is sitting on the saddle( scags,exmark and ferris and most others don't have the same set-up)

excel25
08-17-2000, 11:58 PM
Running dbl. blades on my 14hp. kees for a few months and have had no prolb. Don't use mower that much but it does cut great when I do. Like my Grasshopper725 better.

Ocutter
08-18-2000, 10:46 AM
Tried the dbl. blades on a 16 hp Snapper 52" and noticed a difference in the striping right away. I used 2 hi lift only because I had them sitting around. Also noticed more "green dust" instead of clippings. (loved that). Will use this tecnique on all mowers in the future.