PDA

View Full Version : New wall and walk

joee0914
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Just some before and after pics of a wall and walk we did... Wall is techo semma with escala caps and the walk is parisian with the maya steps.

Before:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-7.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-6.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-8.jpg

Some Progress Pics:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-4.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-3.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-5.jpg

After:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/image-2.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Landscaping/Knollwood/photo-1.jpg

Still some work needs to be done plus more shrubs but this is about 90% complete

DVS Hardscaper
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
First job I take it?
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Wall is ok, but the walkway and steps just don't work for me. Working with elevation can be a challenge.

KrayzKajun
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Wall looks good. The walkway just looks out of place. Not a big fan of the colors.

zak406
06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
I dont like how the wall is so high and narrow. However the wall it self looks constructed well.

Red Shed Landscaping
06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
It looks as if all the dirt will was onto the steps and lower pavers since it is so steep.

scagrider22
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
The radius on the wall is to tight.

joee0914
06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
First job I take it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, first job... but i was expecting a little more from you than that lol...

As far as colors go i could not change the customers mind, they knew what they wanted and stuck with it...

DVS Hardscaper
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, first job... but i was expecting a little more from you than that lol...

Yeah, it would take me a few hrs to type my comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigslick7878
06-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Should have used block to match the pavers on the path for the steps.

zedosix
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
NOt bad really for a first job, just lack of design knowledge, but that comes with experience. I'm going to dig up my first job and post it here, if I can find it.

DVS Hardscaper
06-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Really the work isn't all thy bad. But like zedo-roni said the design is terrible. There is a little more to hardscaping them just stacking and laying block and pavers. The planting is terrible. Design work is like music - is all has to have harmony.

On a positive note - at least I'm not seeing the ground and beds lined with landscape gravel!

Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

joee0914
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Really the work isn't all thy bad. But like zedo-roni said the design is terrible. There is a little more to hardscaping them just stacking and laying block and pavers. The planting is terrible. Design work is like music - is all has to have harmony.

On a positive note - at least I'm not seeing the ground and beds lined with landscape gravel!

Posted via Mobile Device

We realize the design could have been a little better.. Also plants are not finished... We have many other things going in, plus some being moved around. Overall the customer loved the wall and walk.

DVS Hardscaper
06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
We realize the design could have been a little better.. Also plants are not finished... We have many other things going in, plus some being moved around. Overall the customer loved the wall and walk.

Customers usually will love the work because they don't know the ABC's of design :). Nor do most contractors!
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Well, if the customer is happy, the contractor is happy. Life goes on.
Posted via Mobile Device

shovelracer
06-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Being north NJ tell me the planting finish is install a Prunus Subhirtella 24" off the house in the right radius. The step layout is not ideal as mentioned, but more so a grey soldier would have helped tie it all together better. You can let the customer choose, but it is usually a good idea to make suggestions on things like contrasting colors, and steer them away from potentially bad choices.

cameronderzack
06-30-2012, 04:02 PM
STEPS:
- If you would had started the steps closer to the driveway it would had taken care of the embankment you created on the right side of the steps sloping into them.
- It looks like an additional step can be put in.

WALL:
- Wrong product chosen for such a tight radius
- Not saying the tight radius is even the proper design

DESIGN:
- usually I could care less about colors, but its too busy as a result of colors
- and theres more

4 seasons lawn&land
06-30-2012, 07:17 PM
lol, it looks good! This isnt a 2.5 million dollar house which is what alot of guys dont realize. Those are the guys that are 2x the price and dont get the job and bash the guy that does because he is smart enough to simplify it.

Lite4
07-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I liked the natural stone wall better (I am not a big fan of segmental walls, but of course that is just me talking, which doesn't mean anything to what your customer wants). Ultimately, you work for them and they sign your paycheck. I would respectfully have to agree about the steps, they do look a bit out of place. By adding that 3rd material to the segmental wall and pavers it gets a bit busy, but all in all I wouldn't hang my head at all if I were you. For a first project I think you did very well. Sometimes the reactions can be a bit harsh and unforgiving from some of the members on here (I guess they seem to have forgotten that they didn't start out as hardscape gods, but just like you they had to study and learn as they went). Try to gain inspiration and ideas from others and craft your own style. You'll do fine.

shovelracer
07-01-2012, 10:34 AM
lol, it looks good! This isnt a 2.5 million dollar house which is what alot of guys dont realize. Those are the guys that are 2x the price and dont get the job and bash the guy that does because he is smart enough to simplify it.

That is a tough statement to make. Basic design practices should not be less because it is not a McMansion. I'll be damned if I hire someone to work on my 250K house and they think for a second it is anything but acceptable to do a complete and proper job with the same level of care that would go into any job.

zedosix
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Less detail on a job doesn't necessarily mean less attention to detail.

DVS Hardscaper
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Well.........I do value engineer and this statement would have credibility if that really was the case. But fact is - the design is flat out lack of knowledge, education, and experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

amscapes03
07-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't think i've ever seen geo-grid used like that before. 4th pic. Has the NCMA come up with some new specs or guidelines on grid installation that i'm not aware of???????

jonesy5149
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
The radius on the wall is to tight.
Really? Come on?

scagrider22
07-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Really? Come on?

You can't see all the flat spots in it? The radius is to tight for block that long, it does not have a smooth flow to it among many other issues I see!

PaperCutter
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Speaking as the guy who often gets called because "we had our hardscaping done by this great guy but he doesn't do plants and we have no idea what to put here" - come on, man, give me something to work with. My rule of thumb for keeping it stupid simple: unless there is a darn good reason, don't do a plant bed less than 5'. If the planting bed is behind a wall, 6-8' minimum. Trust me.

What would've made a huge difference would be if you had opened that radius way up and come farther out into the yard. Honestly, something with a 10' radius or so wouldn't have been a lot more costly, you could have then had a nice bed with a rockin' ornamental tree to anchor it, and it would've tied the whole project together better.

scott lawn
07-13-2012, 12:14 AM
What is the best way to give an estimate on a wall how do i measure to see how much block i need and how much gravel .