PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hedge Trimmers

Northeast Mower
06-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Just started working for a different company and they use Little Wonder electric trimmers on all of their high end residential. I never thought i'd like them but I really do. They give an amazing cut and they're so light weight. Just seeing what everyone else's thoughts were?

Duekster
06-30-2012, 09:59 AM
I have been thinking about some smaller shears for fine / detail type work. Not a fan of corded devices however.

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I picked up a set of Ryobi and three batteries...at the rate we now use the electric over the gas ones I suspect we will be replacing the tool before the end of the season. If its light trimming/shaping the gas Stihl is not even pulled out of the truck. I didn't buy them because they are "green", I just can't trim hedges all day long with a 13.5 pound hedge trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I have been thinking about some smaller shears for fine / detail type work. Not a fan of corded devices however.

Give the Ryobi unit a try...definitely not commercial, but who cres? For the weight savings it's worth it. I will warn you that the cycle rate on electric hedge trimmers is not very fast so it takes longer to do the same amount of work.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
06-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone looked at/used some of Black and Decker's units?

Duekster
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Give the Ryobi unit a try...definitely not commercial, but who cres? For the weight savings it's worth it. I will warn you that the cycle rate on electric hedge trimmers is not very fast so it takes longer to do the same amount of work.
Posted via Mobile Device

It would be nice if Milwaukee made one for their new 18 volt system.

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
It would be nice if Milwaukee made one for their new 18 volt system.

Or even Dewault
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM

No, but the Ryobi is very similar in quality and price...
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-30-2012, 02:12 PM
pick your posion. I have the impact wrench for mower blace removal and it works great.

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 02:17 PM
pick your posion. I have the impact wrench for mower blace removal and it works great.

We have other dewault stuff so if they had some they would be on truck.

I did look at the Stihl version...heavy and expensive...very expensive actually...I don't see how you could get a return on investment buying them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-30-2012, 02:18 PM
We have other dewault stuff so if they had some they would be on truck.

I did look at the Stihl version...heavy and expensive...very expensive actually...I don't see how you could get a return on investment buying them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you look at the I core advertised on this site?

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 06:01 PM

No but I'll check it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
No but I'll check it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mostly line trimmers but the bat is good for an hour of use.

With an inverter you could make it with a few batteries.

The time is coming, propane mowers and electric trimmers and blowers.

cgaengineer
06-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Like I said, it's not about going green...it's about the weight savings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Like I said, it's not about going green...it's about the weight savings.
Posted via Mobile Device

To me, electricity being green is a false ecomony. Maybe not with small EQ ?? Weight is a major factor too but I am seeing more RFP/ contracts asking for it but no indication they will pay more :laugh:.

OakNut
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM

I handled one at my local dealer's open house. They had a rep there to show off the string trimmer.

Since this thread is about hedge trimmers, I'll not get into too much detail, but it seemed well made - very well made compared to any cordless unit I've ever seen.
Nearly silent and zero vibration too. I didn't get to cut anything with it, so I can't comment on that part. In time, the fuel savings may offset the cost of the unit and I was entertaining the thought of trying one, except that it weighs only a few tenths of a pound less than my Stihl FS90R.
If it was notably lighter, I would have been interested, but I'll just stick with what I have for now.

Duekster
06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I handled one at my local dealer's open house. They had a rep there to show off the string trimmer.

Since this thread is about hedge trimmers, I'll not get into too much detail, but it seemed well made - very well made compared to any cordless unit I've ever seen.
Nearly silent and zero vibration too. I didn't get to cut anything with it, so I can't comment on that part. In time, the fuel savings may offset the cost of the unit and I was entertaining the thought of trying one, except that it weighs only a few tenths of a pound less than my Stihl FS90R.
If it was notably lighter, I would have been interested, but I'll just stick with what I have for now.

The 90 is a beefy unit and not light.

I am not sure if they have many other devices but it is a start.

OakNut
06-30-2012, 09:35 PM
The 90 is a beefy unit and not light.

I am not sure if they have many other devices but it is a start.

Exactly my point.

You'd think that a unit powered by a battery with no engine to speak of would be a LOT lighter than 11 pounds.
(My Stihl weighs 11.7)

Duekster
06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Exactly my point.

You'd think that a unit powered by a battery with no engine to speak of would be a LOT lighter than 11 pounds.

I will wait for fuel cells powered by muched grass :laugh:

cgaengineer
07-01-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm waiting on a small nuclear reactor powered unit...
Posted via Mobile Device

nolatoolguy
07-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Anyone ever use the stihl HSA 65

Ive never really looked at one in person. Just looking at it on the internet right now.

cgaengineer
07-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Anyone ever use the stihl HSA 65

Ive never really looked at one in person. Just looking at it on the internet right now.

Heavy as the gas version so may as well use something that I dont have to charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

EJK2352
07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

I have run gas hedge trimmers for years. Customers only want one hedge trimming per season, so I'm usually trimming shrubs in July and August. I got to the point last year that I was finished with choking on 2-stroke exhaust and toting around 13 lbs. for hours on end. Thought about switching to corded trimmers, but this meant plugging into a customers house, or buying a small generator to power them. Then there's the extention cords to deal with, and the chance of cutting the cord, which I did more the once in my early career. After doing some research I bought a Black & Decker LHT2436 cordless about a month ago. I really like them. They weigh less than 7 lbs. and cut very nice. Battery life is 1 hour + depending on how heavy the growth your cutting. Battery recharges in less than an hour, but some of my jobs take more than an hour to complete, so I bought a second battery. I use a small invertor plugged in to my van to charge while I'm out in the field. Just did a 6 unit condo complex this week and they worked flawless. With my charging setup I never had to wait for a fully charged battery. I'm no tree hugger, I bought these to make shrub trimming a little more tolerable during our hottest time of the year. You guys that are hoping for Dewalt to make a hedge trimmer need to keep in mind that Dewalt is owned by the Stanley Black & Decker company.