PDA

View Full Version : Herbicide Application

Ace123
06-30-2012, 10:56 PM
SUP everybody!
everyone here knows that time is money..... so i got a time management question. Would I be able to apply my post emergent summer herbicide (liquid) applications immediately after a cutting?.. I see guys in Jersey doing it ALOT. But I hear that its smarter to wait at least 2 days so the grass doesnt become too stressed. Any opinions? THANKS!

Duekster
06-30-2012, 11:35 PM
SUP everybody!
everyone here knows that time is money..... so i got a time management question. Would I be able to apply my post emergent summer herbicide (liquid) applications immediately after a cutting?.. I see guys in Jersey doing it ALOT. But I hear that its smarter to wait at least 2 days so the grass doesnt become too stressed. Any opinions? THANKS!

I could be wrong but cutting typically applies to systemic apps.

Dave Stuart
07-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Selective herbicides for broadleaf weeds in lawns usually come in 3 way blends, 2 contact & 1 systemic / example: trimec classic - 24D, MCPP, dicamba.

The contact herbicides need to absorbed through the leaves where they are then taken down in the plant with food ( photosynthates ) to perennial parts and eventually cause death in the plant. Systemics are taken up by roots in the water stream ( xylem ) and eventually follow the same path.

The more leaf tissue up the better contact and absorption of the material. If the turf stand has been freshly mowed then all the leaf tissue is removed and there are no absorption sites / results would be poor.

It is best to treat when full leaf out exists on broadleaf weeds, after treating wait at least 48 hours before mowing to allow time for absorption & translocation.

Dave

Ace123
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
man thanks alot guys.. using this site to suck in as much knowledge as possible

RigglePLC
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I never worried about whether it is mowed or not. Lots of lawn weeds are low-growing so they are still susceptible. Then again, I was trained at TruGreen.
Weeds that are growing rapidly are most susceptible. Remember you are trying to spray the top inch of the stem, not so much the leaves.
However, carfentrazone, and sulfentrazone are contact herbicides; they work better on young annual weeds, need leaf contact in addition to the stem.