PDA

View Full Version : Liquid fertilizer

grassmasterswilson
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Hoping to get some help with liquid fertilizer. First of all I use a z-spray and imagine I will need to increase to 1-1.5 gallons/1000.

No one that i know of uses liquids and my dealer has never recommended it. I'm not sure they know much about it to be honest.

So forgive the newbie question, but can someone post or pm the links to some good info? Maybe what tank mix you use? What products? I'd love to do some research and maybe add to my program.

I assume with liquids that every 4 weeks is best, but seems you could stretch it to 6 weeks?

ArTurf
07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Do a search on "liquid fertilizer"

RigglePLC
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Spray your weed control; granular is better for fert.

avernon0112
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I started spraying fert and post/pre em's about two years ago. I believe that the results are night and day. I would go spray all the way. Not sure who you use and I think wilson is almost a hour from garner but the guys over at Green Resourse have been very helpful for me.

Joshuakwhit
07-04-2012, 01:31 AM
I just started using UFlexx it's a stabilized nitrogen seems to be a great product.

HeyRiggle, I'm curious to ask why granular for fert? Not that I have an opinion either way just curious.

RigglePLC
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I just feel that high-quality coated nitrogen products last longer, and they will not burn the grass. However, I always used a liquid urea mix in the past when I needed to apply herbicide at the same time. Of course, this year in Michigan you are supposed to blow-off any granules that land on the cement; so this adds another 5 minutes of time and money cost.

Is anybody willing to try a side by side comparison of Uflex with liquified urea? (For about a year.)

grassmasterswilson
07-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I just feel that high-quality coated nitrogen products last longer, and they will not burn the grass. However, I always used a liquid urea mix in the past when I needed to apply herbicide at the same time. Of course, this year in Michigan you are supposed to blow-off any granules that land on the cement; so this adds another 5 minutes of time and money cost.

Is anybody willing to try a side by side comparison of Uflex with liquified urea? (For about a year.)

I'd love to see a side by side comparison! Would love to see the difference, if any, and what was applied and the frequency!

avernon0112
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I'd love to see a side by side comparison! Would love to see the difference, if any, and what was applied and the frequency!

I may be Ble to find some before and after pictures Monday. I will search.

sgallaher
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Has anybody used AGGrand Natural Fertilizers? I've been using it on my lawn and garden/plants and it works nicely. They are USDA Bio Based approved. http://www.aggrand.com/?zo=1921199

Cadzilla
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
You need balls of steel to spray liquid fert in this heat.

Yikes.

Especially low volume.

grassmasterswilson
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Looking for some help with this product from drexel....

http://www.drexchem.com/products/Labels/X28-0-06315SP-0512.pdf

I'm new to liquid fert and trying to decipher the label. It appears that there is about 3lbs of N per gallon.... so if I want to apply .5 lbs N per 1000 I need to apply 21.33 oz of this product per 1000?

Just trying to figure out how much of this or any liquid fert I need to apply.

avernon0112
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Looking for some help with this product from drexel....

http://www.drexchem.com/products/Labels/X28-0-06315SP-0512.pdf

I'm new to liquid fert and trying to decipher the label. It appears that there is about 3lbs of N per gallon.... so if I want to apply .5 lbs N per 1000 I need to apply 21.33 oz of this product per 1000?

Just trying to figure out how much of this or any liquid fert I need to apply.

That is what I came up with also. 21.8 to be exact? Just out of curiosity how much is this product

grassmasterswilson
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
That is what I came up with also. 21.8 to be exact? Just out of curiosity how much is this product

35 a jug I think
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
07-06-2012, 10:30 PM
You need to know how much water carrier you are applying per 1000 sqft.
For instance: if you are applying 2 gal solution per thousand sqft. Add 21.3 ounces of the liquid fert product for each 2 gallons you prepare,( around 10.6 ounces per gallon).
That is 1060 ounces per hundred gallons.
That is 8.3 gallons per 100 gallons of water.
If you are absurdly precise, you will add 7.6 gallons and fill with 92.4 gallons of water--so you have a total of 100 gallons.

Adding the cost as cited above for 2.5 gallons. Fill up cost would be about $106.

Around 2.13 per thousand sqft.

avernon0112
07-07-2012, 12:14 AM
You need to know how much water carrier you are applying per 1000 sqft.
For instance: if you are applying 2 gal solution per thousand sqft. Add 21.3 ounces of the liquid fert product for each 2 gallons you prepare,( around 10.6 ounces per gallon).
That is 1060 ounces per hundred gallons.
That is 8.3 gallons per 100 gallons of water.
If you are absurdly precise, you will add 7.6 gallons and fill with 92.4 gallons of water--so you have a total of 100 gallons.

Adding the cost as cited above for 2.5 gallons. Fill up cost would be about $106.

Around 2.13 per thousand sqft.
Not cheap.

greendoctor
07-07-2012, 02:05 AM
If that is the cost for just the slow release urea, that is not cheap at all. I formulate to apply micronutrients, potassium, other sources of N and some slow release for about $3 per 1000. An appropriate granular equivalent would be a no chloride greens grade fertilizer. My cost for that is from $5-10 per 1000 sq ft.

Burnie
07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
35 a jug I think
Posted via Mobile Device

That is a little high. Check with Agrium and Residex if they are in your area. I get the best price from Residex, but both are less than $30 including tax.

grassmasterswilson
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys. Needed confirmation I was converting liquid to pounds correctly.

That seems to be about twice a high as my granular product. So I may stick with a quality granular that has micros.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. Needed confirmation I was converting liquid to pounds correctly.

That seems to be about twice a high as my granular product. So I may stick with a quality granular that has micros.
Posted via Mobile Device

Liquids are expensive because water is expensive to ship.

I buy soluble products and mix them down for the best cost savings. Not many retail products like this that give you the flexibility you need in small quantities for the HO.

greendoctor
07-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Using liquids is not a bank breaker for me either. I make use of dry solubles extensively as well. When doing things that way, a 50 lb bag covers a larger area than if it were to be spread dry. Unless you are applying to very acid soils that have low levels of phosphorus, the micronutrients added to granules are kind of a waste. The grass does not utilize much of what was broadcast. On the other hand, micronutrients in liquid applications often are better utilized by the grass.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Using liquids is not a bank breaker for me either. I make use of dry solubles extensively as well. When doing things that way, a 50 lb bag covers a larger area than if it were to be spread dry. Unless you are applying to very acid soils that have low levels of phosphorus, the micronutrients added to granules are kind of a waste. The grass does not utilize much of what was broadcast. On the other hand, micronutrients in liquid applications often are better utilized by the grass.

That is a good point too. Clay binds the micros, in sand they was out.

grassmasterswilson
07-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks. They also have a 28-8-18 that Ivan melt down which cost about $1 per pound. Don't have te label so not sure what that will one out to per 1000

greendoctor
07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
One more thing to note is that it may be possible to cut rates of N applied by up to 1/2 and still get a good response. Especially if the correct source of N for soil conditions and turf type is used. 1/2 lb of N from urea does not work the same as 1/2 lb of N from ammonium sulfate.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
One more thing to note is that it may be possible to cut rates of N applied by up to 1/2 and still get a good response. Especially if the correct source of N for soil conditions and turf type is used. 1/2 lb of N from urea does not work the same as 1/2 lb of N from ammonium sulfate.28% urea-Triazone solution
Never used it

greendoctor
07-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I do not see a good response from using it as the sole fertilizer. When used as part of a blend, it prolongs the green. If used by itself it is not only expensive, but a poor product for the turf. Might as well be using coated urea.

redsox
07-07-2012, 02:33 PM

I have been working on this. I just switched to doing liquid and I have done granular fr the last 7 years. The biggest issue is that we are going through a very bad drought so the results will be skewed. But we will know how each one fairs so far. So far the liquid is looking better. I am using uflexx for granular and hydrexx for liquid with urea and a product called "promote". I will start a thread in the fall time to give my results.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Sprayed Uflexx 46-0-0 this last fall and this spring, I also added Micros and Iron. I am going to AS soon to give that a try.