PDA

View Full Version : Apps during drought

Nitroman
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Indiana is being hit by another drought this year. I've always told customers summer apps are more geared towards weed control in response to they're comment that the fert won't do anything this hot and dry.

Thoughts

R&S Lawn Care
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Agreed, you cant control weather but you can control weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

R&S Lawn Care
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Spot treat only. Forgot that part.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Do they irrigate? I assume not since they made the fert comment.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
A top-quality coated fert will not release until moisture is added. In theory--it will help the grass recover when it rains. And in some cases that brown grass may be very damaged and thin.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-03-2012, 12:31 AM
With this heat, no way you really should be on any lawn right now, esp. brown crispy ones. The damage you cause may be worse that the benefit you provide. Google up Asochyta Leaf Blight and you will see what I am talking about. You instigate this when you get on lawns when it is too hot and the lawns are too dry.
I did it last year, PG tracks white as a ghost and plain as day on a lawn.

cgaengineer
07-03-2012, 05:53 AM
With this heat, no way you really should be on any lawn right now, esp. brown crispy ones. The damage you cause may be worse that the benefit you provide. Google up Asochyta Leaf Blight and you will see what I am talking about. You instigate this when you get on lawns when it is too hot and the lawns are too dry.

I had a scary thing happen with my pg a few weeks ago. Not know to me at the time, but my nozzles were not shutting off completely causing them to flow slightly. The end result using msma was a brown 2" wide streak. Was pretty upset about it but the lawn has since greened up nicely and is just about all cg free.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cadzilla
07-04-2012, 11:46 AM

IMO what you are seeing isn't "Ascochyta" but crown damage from the weight of the machine.

That disease and others "can" transfer on machinery but it's unlikely that's what you are seeing.

I'm starting to get real concerned about my round four summer visit. I am just finishing round three and have a few grubs left. I have skipped everyone that doesn't get a grub control or full program of fertilization that is not irrigating.

I have a lot of surface insect control that goes down with my summer round fours which will help and I suggest everyone be on the lookout for chinch bugs and sod webworm etc. These dry years are ripe for those devils. I have not seen many moths or indications of either insect, however.

I am also or have not seen many beetles leading me to believe grub pressure will be low this year in my area.

Yes....I have done some apps that required my conscience to be placed on hold. We all have.

But....I am pretty sure at this point I may have to lose some revenue this summer.

I'm sure there will be some seeding revenues and repair work.....for the people who couldn't be bothered with watering in the summer who will now be required to water thre times a day for a month in September.

Good luck with that and to everyone out there.

This sucks.

Cadzilla
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Oh and I have mowed my home lawn one time since Memorial friggin day.

I'm not watering either. :)

RigglePLC
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM
If you were spreading a chemical or fungus with the tires from your equipment--it would get thinner and thinner--less and less chemical as you go along. That is not what I see. It is like the "heat tracks" injury we all see from time to time when green grass has heavy equipment on it.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192931&highlight=brown+tracks&page=3

Lucky--it does not happen on grass that is already brown.

Nitroman
07-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ive had mixed comments from customers. One this morning I saw at mass said go ahead with both summer apps and keep the weeds down.

My advise is treat everybody brown or not, spot spray the weeds, little to no fert. And the one out of hundreds of customers that may cancel their service will not be worth skipping all that revenue of a entire round.

Thanks ladies and gents