PDA

View Full Version : what to use on crabgrass

devinraptor
07-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Right now I'm using q4 on my crabgrass, its about $280 bucks for 2.5 gallons just wondering if there is something more effective and two cheaper. I'm spraying mainly tall fescue. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

R&S Lawn Care
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Have you looked at Acclaim extra.
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
07-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Have you looked at Acclaim extra.
Posted via Mobile Device

Also works way better on crab. If you need to mix in broadleaf weed control look at horsepower, three way will destroy the efficacy of acclaim, I forget maybe its the 2 4 d that does it.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
07-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Q4 has been my choice on fescue also Horsepower/acclaim looks good also. Hard to spray anything on fescue this time of year case of te temps.

What are you guys using on warm season? I'm usually pretty clean except for broadleafs and celcius seems to get my young crab ok. Temps are a big factor since they will be close to 90+ all summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
If you are ONLY going after crab then q4 could be considered a waste as it is labeled for crab, sedge and broadleaf. until you look at material cost vs acclaim and labor saved to not have to return to the truck for a sedge control or a broadleaf control...

But if you price it per 1,000 sq ft and not by the jug you will probably find that the q4 is still cheaper than acclaim or acclaim and eliminate/horsepower.

And yes the 2-4d will render the acclaim useless dont mix them together...

q4 at $280 per 2.5 gallon jug, at the 3 oz per k rate gives you...106,000 sq ft and a cost of $2.64 per k

acclaim (last I checked was roughly) $120 per 16 oz bottle. at the .9 oz per k rate ...17.75 k coverage and $6.75 per k...

now add eliminate/horsepower to the mix and.... the q4 doesnt look so expensive anymore.....

RigglePLC
07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Hokie is right!
Someones needs to invent a backpack that can spray two products. Left wand for crabgrass. Right wand for broadleaf.

Its a waste to spray broadleaf herbicide on crabgrass, and quinclorac on broadleaf.

avernon0112
07-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I use Drive XLR8 and MSO for crab only. It is a little expensive but it works. I added Trimec 992 if I am going after broadleaf weeds also.

devinraptor
07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys looks like my local fert & pesticide company is and has been leading me in the right direction. I do spray crab and clover, and other weeds at once so the added weed control is important.
Posted via Mobile Device