PDA

View Full Version : To much pressure?

duckworth
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
residential job. Tapping into 3/4 copper pipe before line enters house and before prv .pressure is 80 psi .my question should l install a prv or can l use the flow control on 1" valve to cut pressure down?

txirrigation
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
residential job. Tapping into 3/4 copper pipe before line enters house and before prv .pressure is 80 psi .my question should l install a prv or can l use the flow control on 1" valve to cut pressure down?

You can use the flow control, or you can use this: http://www.hunterindustries.com/product/valves/accu-sync

A lot of people will tell you the flow control way is a piker method, that being said I use it every now and then. We have starting using the accu-sync on the master valve, and it is a very economical way to regulate pressure.

duckworth
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks for your advise.

Kiril
07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
A lot of people will tell you the flow control way is a piker method

That is because it is.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Converting valves to flow control valves and using them to regulate pressure worked for me. With an install though you can be more proactive and like TX says put in a MV. Even then you may want to adjust the flow controls some.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Converting valves to flow control valves and using them to regulate pressure worked for me. With an install though you can be more proactive and like TX says put in a MV. Even then you may want to adjust the flow controls some.
Posted via Mobile Device

It might be a low cost improvement but it is not pressure control.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 09:25 AM
It is in my opinion is a very good low cost improvement. Gives the customer a lot of bang for their bucks. Swapping tops and converting a DV to a DVF and reducing the pressure with it to 10 popups which were misting at 60 psi plus to 35 psi or to large droplet spray is cheaper than changing them all to PRS heads.

Duekster
07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
It is in my opinion is a very good low cost improvement. Gives the customer a lot of bang for their bucks. Swapping tops and converting a DV to a DVF and reducing the pressure with it to 10 popups which were misting at 60 psi plus to 35 psi or to large droplet spray is cheaper than changing them all to PRS heads.

But not as effective because you do not know what pressure you will have at 3 AM on tuesday morning in the spring vs the summer or even saturday.

Kiril
07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

What duek said + dogging the flow down beyond what is required by design in order to get "cheap" pressure regulation is not a solution. At best it is an amateurish band aid.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
True. Have to upgrade in stages though. First the valves then Sam/prs then the controller. Fortunately in the older areas of Dallas where I worked the pressure was pretty consistent.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
The amateurish band aid was the original install that had valves with no flow controls. You work with what you have and give the customer the best value for their bucks. Today I would probably use valves that had pressure regulation built in. Wasn't an option when I was in the biz for 99% of the valves I dealt with.

Kiril
07-04-2012, 10:09 AM
The amateurish band aid was the original install that had valves with no flow controls. You work with what you have and give the customer the best value for their bucks. Today I would probably use valves that had pressure regulation built in. Wasn't an option when I was in the biz for 99% of the valves I dealt with.

Perhaps it wasn't an option that you were aware of, but certainly a PRV was.

Duekster
07-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I have put in system regulators in our market area but we have already discussed this.

If you need to replace / fix the POC by all means use a good regulator and control the pressure at the end run. Not perfect but helps.

The point being is I do not assume the client wants one thing or another. I discuss with them and sell the at the head regulation as the best option. I have seen some areas where regulators at the POC are needed regardless.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Perhaps it wasn't an option that you were aware of, but certainly a PRV was.

Yes I was aware of them If it involved cutting out a valve to install a prv or replacing the bonnet and/ or using prs heads I would do the latter. The few times I tried out prv versions by RB and Irritrol by swapping the solenoid out to install the prv the inconsistency shied me away from them. I don't come to this forum and pretend I did everything in the most perfect way.
Posted via Mobile Device

mrsteve
07-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Recently I've been replacing heads that I've needed to change with the 30psi Rain Bird RD SAM. The problem I see is distance. While the head is great at 30psi for not misting, it's not throwing as far as the non regulated head. Since most of my systems are older the spacing is not head to head. I will be moving up to the 45psi head to see how that looks. A system with 20X17 spacing would be a candidate for mp's or rotors, but with watering restrictions I don't have enough of a time window on commercial properties. I like the brass Weathermatic nozzles for distance (with enough pressure) but they gobble water. The old 5524-36 now B24F is rated at 7.5gpm. Open to suggestions, I've used the 18' van as well.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
The patterns are limited but have you tried the RB rotary? Might be one of the cases where the MP is the best option. I prefer the RB rotary to the MP.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
The patterns are limited but have you tried the RB rotary? Might be one of the cases where the MP is the best option. I prefer the RB rotary to the MP.
Posted via Mobile Device

are talking rotary nozzle or 5000?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Rotary..........
Posted via Mobile Device

mrsteve
07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
If you mean the 5004 or a pgp, I would have to do a lot of relocating for that to work. Best thing to used the existing locations would be a mp2000. I just don't have the time for such a low precip. nozzle. It's a half a block of turf.

grassman177
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
what do those hunter regulators cost? i am thinking of promoting those cuz there are many systems that dont have a prv even, and these could be of great asset.

Duekster
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Recently I've been replacing heads that I've needed to change with the 30psi Rain Bird RD SAM. The problem I see is distance. While the head is great at 30psi for not misting, it's not throwing as far as the non regulated head. Since most of my systems are older the spacing is not head to head. I will be moving up to the 45psi head to see how that looks. A system with 20X17 spacing would be a candidate for mp's or rotors, but with watering restrictions I don't have enough of a time window on commercial properties. I like the brass Weathermatic nozzles for distance (with enough pressure) but they gobble water. The old 5524-36 now B24F is rated at 7.5gpm. Open to suggestions, I've used the 18' van as well.

One reason the Hunter PRS 40 with MP's are a better retro option in my book.

I do not get good distance from VAN's but the VAN is good for minor repairs. The new RB HE Vans are cool but do not have smallr ranges.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 04:05 PM
If you mean the 5004 or a pgp, I would have to do a lot of relocating for that to work. Best thing to used the existing locations would be a mp2000. I just don't have the time for such a low precip. nozzle. It's a half a block of turf.
No I mean the rotary. It has a higher precip rate than mps with many of the spacing advantages.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 04:29 PM
for the OP, 80 psi is not a call for pressure regulation, since you can easily lose over 20 psi from street to sprinkler heads, before you even consider any reducing of flow or pressure

Duekster
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
for the OP, 80 psi is not a call for pressure regulation, since you can easily lose over 20 psi from street to sprinkler heads, before you even consider any reducing of flow or pressure

Spray Nozzles work great at 60 PSI

Duekster
07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
No I mean the rotary. It has a higher precip rate than mps with many of the spacing advantages.
Posted via Mobile Device

I so not see any side strips or corners.

I can see where the higher PR is desirable in some applications.
It would be cheaper than wholesale pressure regulated heads too.

Just looking briefly, I do not see anything RB has that has a similar PR that is suitable for 5' wide areas, much less 5 x 30.

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Spray Nozzles work great at 60 PSIwhat spray nozzles? - never assume

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
I so not see any side strips or corners.

I can see where the higher PR is desirable in some applications.
It would be cheaper than wholesale pressure regulated heads too.

Just looking briefly, I do not see anything RB has that has a similar PR that is suitable for 5' wide areas, much less 5 x 30.

If you had read the post I made at 10:42am you will see that I acknowledged that shortcoming.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM

what spray nozzles? - never assume

I should not have assummed you read the thread for example?

If you had read the post I made at 10:42am you will see that I acknowledged that shortcoming.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got the feeling you were glossing them over.

Duekster
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
mrsteve
The MP do have low PR and lower flow than standard heads.
If you do convert sprays you can compensate for your water window concern by running more than 1 station maybe 3 at the same time depending on the design of the system.

If you are using for example RB 15 Series MPR @ 360 uses 3.70 GPM while the MP 2000 360 uses 1.47 GPM. This is fairly typically so you can double up easy.

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I should not have assummed you read the thread for example?I respond to the OP, who has 80 psi in the outdoor 3/4-inch copper, and no other details - anyone else can start their own damn thread :hammerhead:

Duekster
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I respond to the OP, who has 80 psi in the outdoor 3/4-inch copper, and no other details - anyone else can start their own damn thread :hammerhead:

My Bad, :cry:

duckworth
07-05-2012, 12:17 AM
System has only sprays with adj vans.what's max psi for 12' fans using 6" pro sprays on lawn and 12" pro sprays in flower bed zones

irritation
07-05-2012, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=duckworth;4462083]Sorry for lack of info/QUOTE]

You should be, whats the ground temp and relative humidity?

Wet_Boots
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
....and what's your shoe size?

duckworth
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Ground temp 50deg,humidity 60,shoe size 14 and that's last time l will be sorry with this bunch ,oh ya and l have 14.567 hrs of daylight

1idejim
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Ground temp 50deg,humidity 60,shoe size 14 and that's last time l will be sorry with this bunch ,oh ya and l have 14.567 hrs of daylight

you have learned a lot in 69 posts, good for you :laugh:

duckworth
07-05-2012, 11:26 PM
My wife really wishes