PDA

View Full Version : July 4th BBQ Welding Blanket and Brisket (no irrigation)

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Finally got the solution to smoking brisket or for that matter cooking with coal up north. Lurking on a BBQ site I read about using a welding blanket to help keep the temp constant. So I figured why not give it a try. Bought a welding blanket on Ebay and it friggin works like a charm. Use half the amount of coals and it keeps the temp constant. I started at 6am this morning when it was 45 out side. Had it up to 225 by 6:30 and with some minor coal and wood additions sat between 220 and 245 til 12:00 before I moved it into the oven.:drinkup:*newusflag*

muddywater
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Awsome! Brisket imo is probably the hardest meat to smoke... either that or ribs. I had to work today, so I did an easy one. Smoked wings and going to grill hamburgers later for all of my employees.

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm just having steamers and beer. I like that welding blanket trick. I only wish I had photos of my old mini-grill I paid two bucks for, and modified with a coat-hanger and a cheap wok lid.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I've messed with my sisters green egg. Real popular here I'm guessing cuz they don't lose heat like metal. Always wondered what that white plate did. Now I know.

DanaMac
07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Making some tilapia fish burritos, with fresh salsa. Oh and a beer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I wonder how far down you can scale the egg thing. I stuck with the laughable jury-rig of mine because it used a small amount of charcoal, and cooked a single steak or cornish hen beautifully.

irritation
07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=252403&stc=1&d=1341435600

That looks damn good but you could have weedeated around the grill.

Doesn't even feel like the Fourth around here, fireworks are banned, too hot to be outside unless you get in the pool. I hate this weather.

DanaMac
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Doesn't even feel like the Fourth around here, fireworks are banned, too hot to be outside unless you get in the pool. I hate this weather.

Same here. No fireworks, no grilling at the parks unless you bring your own propane grill. No charcoal. Many events cancelled due to fire danger and smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Same here. No fireworks, no grilling at the parks unless you bring your own propane grill. No charcoal. Many events cancelled due to fire danger and smoke.
Posted via Mobile Deviceso root for the Rockies to beat the Cards (and the Dodgers to beat the Reds, while you're at it)

White Gardens
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
so root for the Rockies to beat the Cards

The heat of summer must be getting to you, because you've got it backwards. :nono:

DanaMac
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
so root for the Rockies to beat the Cards

Doing that right now. But the Rox are not going anywhere this year. They have been stinkin' up the joint. Pitching is awful, injuries to key players, aging 1st baseman.

jabbo
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Now you know how we live here in the southeast ALL the time!!! No need to let it get to you though. Just buy lots of beer and ride it out....:clapping::clapping:

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
The heat of summer must be getting to you, because you've got it backwards. :nono:

.....Shouldn't you be rooting for the Cubs?

irritation
07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Now you know how we live here in the southeast ALL the time!!!

Bull crap, this siht ain't right. This is southwest Arizona weather.

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Clams are clammy, and Vin Scully is touting Farmer John hot-dogs on Dodgers radio, so all is well.

irritation
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I wish I liked MLB and I've tried but it sucks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Well there's always the Nathan hot dog eating contest
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Well there's always the Nathan hot dog eating contest
Posted via Mobile Device

wouldn't care to watch that either but I may be able to compete.:)

Wet_Boots
07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
the woman's competition was won by a petite young thing that managed a total of 45 hot-dogs and buns in 10 minutes

irritation
07-04-2012, 11:12 PM
if I was only 10 years younger ......

muddywater
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I've messed with my sisters green egg. Real popular here I'm guessing cuz they don't lose heat like metal. Always wondered what that white plate did. Now I know.

It is supposed to redirect the heat for smoking plus nice for a little more room.

muddywater
07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I wonder how far down you can scale the egg thing. I stuck with the laughable jury-rig of mine because it used a small amount of charcoal, and cooked a single steak or cornish hen beautifully.

They make a small egg. I see them on craigslist for $300 every now and then. I started with a large green egg about 2 years ago and just upgraded to the bigger one so I can try more things at once, and their is just something about them. They seem to trap the moisture and make everything juicy, even a steak. Plus you get them up to a 1000 degrees for pizza or searing steak. I haven't eaten oa steak around town at fine restaurants that could match the green egg. A filet mignon with peppercorn and salt and slice of butter while your grilling each side... can't beat it.

White Gardens
07-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Shouldn't you be rooting for the Cubs?

This is central IL, so it's generally 50/50 between cubs and cards fans.

I've always rooted for the heroes, not the zeros. :laugh:

But I will admit, my first game was a cubs game, and as a baseball fan I wouldn't mind seeing them win a world series just to shut the cubs fans up.

Duekster
07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
The cheap o Webber kettle has been my grill of choice for a long long time.

Hard to moderate the fire temp for extended periods required by the brisket but it can be done.

It took me many tries to get close to mastering the brisket. Low and slow 245 is pretty low but 225 is best.

The other trick is to let the thing rest. many people down here wrap in foil and throw then in a cooler. The cooler holds the heat as the brisket finishes.

You need to let it come down slowly to just above room temp before slicing, or else it cuts like a pot roast.

Kiril
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I hate this weather.

Blame Al Gore, it's all his fault.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
The cheap o Webber kettle has been my grill of choice for a long long time.

Hard to moderate the fire temp for extended periods required by the brisket but it can be done.

It took me many tries to get close to mastering the brisket. Low and slow 245 is pretty low but 225 is best.

The other trick is to let the thing rest. many people down here wrap in foil and throw then in a cooler. The cooler holds the heat as the brisket finishes.

You need to let it come down slowly to just above room temp before slicing, or else it cuts like a pot roast.

After 4 hours of smoke time I just put it in a big aluminum pan and stick it in the oven at 210. Let it cook for 4-6 hours depending on size until it gets an internal temp of 200. Beats having to watch the grill all day and tastes every bit as good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
After 4 hours of smoke time I just put it in a big aluminum pan and stick it in the oven at 210. Let it cook for 4-6 hours depending on size until it gets an internal temp of 200. Beats having to watch the grill all day and tastes every bit as good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very well could be true, I have done that too.

Purist would disagree.

Wet_Boots
07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
.............A filet mignon with peppercorn and salt and slice of butter while your grilling each side... can't beat it.that kind of parallels what I was doing with the tiny grill. A steak would be rubbed with garlic, and coarse-ground pepper applied, along with olive oil. The olive oil made up for the steaks having less fat in them, on account of I wanted a bit of the fat-fueled flame action on the steak. No salt until just before going on the grill.

macgyver_GA
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a little cheapo $40 brinkman bullet smoker. The BEST thing I ever did was start using my turkey fryer propane burner for a heat source instead of the lump charcoal I was using. I still use Apple wood chunks in the coal pan for smoke. Water & Apple cider vinegar in the water pan. I barely ever have to adjust the temp. I cooked a 10 lb boston butt a few months ago for 13 hours and I only had to adjust the gas knob twice the entire time when the sun changed positions and the smoker was in the sun it got a little hotter so I had to turn it down for a little bit. Obviously I had to add some wood chunks every hour or so to keep the smoke going. Kept it at a perfect 225 degrees the whole time.

I did some ribs last month and they came out PERFECT! The best ribs I've ever made. 3 hours at 225 open. Then put them in some aluminum foil with a little bit of beer then wrapped them up. Cooked another two hours at 225. Unfoiled them and basted them with bbq sauce for about 10-15 more minutes. They were falling apart when I took them off. Internal meat temp was right about 170-175. You could pull the bone out of the meat and it had almost zero meat on it. Mmmm, makes me hungry just talking about it.

Duekster
07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I only had to adjust the gas knob twice the entire time when the sun changed positions and the smoker was in the sun it got a little hotter so I had to turn it down for a little bit. Obviously I had to add some wood chunks every hour or so to keep the smoke going. Kept it at a perfect 225 degrees the whole time.

I did some ribs last month and they came out PERFECT! The best ribs I've ever made. 3 hours at 225 open. Then put them in some aluminum foil with a little bit of beer then wrapped them up. Mmmm, makes me hungry just talking about it.

LOL, I swear the black Kettle will slow cook just sitting in the sun.

I start my Baby Backs at 225 in the oven covered with foil in a retangular pan. I pull them out let the juices settle then smoke them for a few hours.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a little cheapo $40 brinkman bullet smoker. The BEST thing I ever did was start using my turkey fryer propane burner for a heat source instead of the lump charcoal I was using. I still use Apple wood chunks in the coal pan for smoke. Water & Apple cider vinegar in the water pan. I barely ever have to adjust the temp. I cooked a 10 lb boston butt a few months ago for 13 hours and I only had to adjust the gas knob twice the entire time when the sun changed positions and the smoker was in the sun it got a little hotter so I had to turn it down for a little bit. Obviously I had to add some wood chunks every hour or so to keep the smoke going. Kept it at a perfect 225 degrees the whole time.

I did some ribs last month and they came out PERFECT! The best ribs I've ever made. 3 hours at 225 open. Then put them in some aluminum foil with a little bit of beer then wrapped them up. Cooked another two hours at 225. Unfoiled them and basted them with bbq sauce for about 10-15 more minutes. They were falling apart when I took them off. Internal meat temp was right about 170-175. You could pull the bone out of the meat and it had almost zero meat on it. Mmmm, makes me hungry just talking about it.

Sounds good. I'll try that out. I'm assuming you are talking pork ribs not beef ribs.

macgyver_GA
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Sounds good. I'll try that out. I'm assuming you are talking pork ribs not beef ribs.

Correct, pork.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I like to leave my Beef Ribs on the Rib Roast :P

I also like Pork Butt for BBQ

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
That is an interesting component of BBQ I like in the regional customs. I'm sure most in the SE USA would consider ribs to be generic for pork ribs. Learning BBQ in TX though ribs could very likely be beef ribs. Up in Montana they boil ribs before putting them on the grill. Course they call cooking hot dogs a BBQ here as well.

macgyver_GA
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
That is an interesting component of BBQ I like in the regional customs. I'm sure most in the SE USA would consider ribs to be generic for pork ribs. Learning BBQ in TX though ribs could very likely be beef ribs. Up in Montana they boil ribs before putting them on the grill. Course they call cooking hot dogs a BBQ here as well.

Very true. "Ribs" down here are pork ribs.

Bahh... I hate it when people say that. It's just grilling hot dogs. To me, barbeque is low temp, slow cooked, and smoke.

Or when people call a grill a barbeque... I'm usually like..Huh? What's that?

Duekster
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Grilling and BBQ are two different things for sure.

Many Texas BBQ houses serve Pork Ribs, spare or baby backs. I have not seen pulled pork except at national chains which is not that good. I have not seen Beef Ribs at a BBQ place.

We like the Beef Ribs cross cut and grilled Mexican style.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/TexasQCrew/Food/misc/tablitas_sm.jpg

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Excellent pic. Only a serious BBQ restaurant would try beef ribs. Most of those chain BBQ joints buy already cooked BBQ.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Excellent pic. Only a serious BBQ restaurant would try beef ribs. Most of those chain BBQ joints buy already cooked BBQ.

Seriously, the only place I have had Beef Ribs was during a Roman Orgy at the Magic Time Machine. I have not been there since it became more of a family restaurant with a gazzilion rug rats over running the joint. Darn shame too cause it used be one of my favorite date places in my younger days. Not even sure if the place is still open.

Quick google shows it is, and it looks more like a dressed up childs restaurant now... used to be a good steak house with a naughty side to it.

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 01:50 PM
used to be a good steak house with a naughty side to it.

My kind of spot. Just like rowdy bars with peanut shells on the floor and the tables bolted down; they're slipping away. :cry::drinkup:

Duekster
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
My kind of spot. Just like rowdy bars with peanut shells on the floor and the tables bolted down; they're slipping away. :cry::drinkup:

They used to have waiters and waitress in comic outfits, they were a little on the runchy funny and sometimes rude side. Some where along the way they went toward the family and kiddy crowd. :cry:

Remember when Steak and Ale had the wenches in push ups and hose stockings with very short skirts???.

cgaengineer
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Looked really good! My last brisket was 14 hours in my Weber Genesis...falling apart!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Cooked some beef ribs last week. 2-3-1 method. ie Smoked 2, baked covered 3 (in oven to save gas) , and finish back on bbq for 1hr. All at 110'c until last half hr at around 150'c

Im in the process of making a Ugly Drum Smoker. Still getting parts together though. From research they hold temps really well, even when its cold enough to snow.

Heres last weeks ribs... These were up with the best Ive done, could of used more smoke though but its difficult on my gas grill. Pork ribs are easier to smoke on it.

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Dry rub? They almost have a "wet ribs" look.

Mickhippy
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
The rub I make up has a fair bit of sugar in it so when it hits the mustard it melts and looks wet.

Last hour I cover with some home made bbq sauce and cook until it becomes sticky. Its not as wet as it looks.

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Dry rub? They almost have a "wet ribs" look.

I'd cut into that any old day. :clapping::drinkup:

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
As much as I admire all the smoky goodness, I grew up with wet ribs, and found a place in Memphis with a good wet-ribs dinner - Gridley's

Mickhippy
07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
We are very limited to ribs/smoke cooked food over here. Most restaurants that have ribs dont smoke them, just bake and throw on some smokey sauce.
Nice, but not true smoked ribs.... No love involved!

Duekster
07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
As much as I admire all the smoky goodness, I grew up with wet ribs, and found a place in Memphis with a good wet-ribs dinner - Gridley's

You can do wet ribs my way. Dry rub them and let them set for up to overnigh. Put in a pan with a little water, cover with foil, place in oven for about 2 2.5 hour. You will start to smell them. Turn off, let the juices set and the meat firm up.

Place on smoker lathered up with your favorite BBQ sauce on low heat, 225 or so. Hit will more sauce every 20 to 30 mins to get that glazed crisp bbq coating. I typically pull off after the 3 coating is cooked.

Pull off, let set 10 to 15 mins and eat. Fall off the bone tender but the meat is still moist yet firm.

Wet_Boots
07-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I used the Gridley's version as a basis for my own attempts at simple oven-baked wet ribs. Of course, it has to get more complicated, and the ribs ended up on a rack over a water bath.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I used the Gridley's version as a basis for my own attempts at simple oven-baked wet ribs. Of course, it has to get more complicated, and the ribs ended up on a rack over a water bath.

You can always use an indirect method of heat. I used this mostly for my larger cuts.

http://www.weber.com/weber/grilling-tips/direct-indirect-cooking

cgaengineer
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Cooked some beef ribs last week. 2-3-1 method. ie Smoked 2, baked covered 3 (in oven to save gas) , and finish back on bbq for 1hr. All at 110'c until last half hr at around 150'c

Im in the process of making a Ugly Drum Smoker. Still getting parts together though. From research they hold temps really well, even when its cold enough to snow.

Heres last weeks ribs... These were up with the best Ive done, could of used more smoke though but its difficult on my gas grill. Pork ribs are easier to smoke on it.

Uds's are cool...a Weber 22.5" lid was made for them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Uds's are cool...a Weber 22.5" lid was made for them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Was at my neighbours house last night making the charcoal baskets. I now have that "sand in eye" feeling from the welding. On top of being completely hung over, its not a good morning! ha

I guess I misunderstood what was meant by "wet ribs." After reading what you guys have said, I suppose mine are wet ribs. They do get baked, foiled (baking tray and foil for the beef ribs) with apple juice for a period of time.
Ive tried all sorts of methods and its the easiest way to cook them IMO.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-07-2012, 11:32 PM
We had a guy mike knows in new Mexico who turned old pressure tanks into BBQ smokers. He has pics of some on this forum if anybody wants to search. Not sure about starting my ribs in the oven. The smoking needs to occur when they are raw and rubbed down. The 2-3-1 method seems more my style. I'll try that mick. No sugar in the rub though. I serve baked beans for the brown sugar crowd.

mitchgo
07-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I bought a bbq 3 weeks ago.

It took 3 hours to assemble as my buddy and I agreed to take a shot of whiskey per page of instructions :)

I can officially say I have cooked on my bbq for 3 weeks straight now for everything at home !

Mike Leary
07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
We had a guy mike knows in new Mexico who turned old pressure tanks into BBQ smokers. He has pics of some on this forum if anybody wants to search.

I talked with Mel last year, but I've lost his forum handle. Anyone interested can PM me and I'll give you his phone #. Hell of a nice guy, I still remember the best brisket ever from his lashups.

mitchgo
07-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Summer has started July 4th for us! It's been 65 and rain for forever and now 80+ Woot!!!!

I'm in summer lovin fun mode and this year for a the first time in a long time.. Work isn't my absolute priority ( Though everyone still says I work too much)

Breaking up with my gf of 5 years back in april has been the best thing for me.

Time for some fun as I'm living with a couple coed (f)riends .

Yesterday I setup my pool and brought in 7 yards of topsoil and 5 yards of gravel.

Today we had about 30 people over . One of my roomates and I bbqed up sooo much food.

Gotta love sexy ladies in the pool !!!:cool2::cool2::cool2: