PDA

View Full Version : hunter arc adjustment

grassmasterswilson
07-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Tried to adjust my irrigation heads at my house. I've got a mix of rotor irrigation heads some are hunter and the others are rain bird(i think). I can adjust the arc of the non hunter models by a screw, but I need a hunter tool to adjust the arc on the hunter models.

Is there a certain hex wrench that I can use? Should I just replace the few hunters with a different model?

Wet_Boots
07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
try a 1/4-inch screwdriver

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Tried to adjust my irrigation heads at my house. I've got a mix of rotor irrigation heads some are hunter and the others are rain bird(i think). I can adjust the arc of the non hunter models by a screw, but I need a hunter tool to adjust the arc on the hunter models.

Is there a certain hex wrench that I can use? Should I just replace the few hunters with a different model?

Do a search for the Irritool. All the adjustment tools in one folding holder. Put pigtails in with your search as well. Irritool and pigtails

Bigred350
07-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Its a allen head. Couldnt tell you what size because im sitting in my recliner and not in my truck right now.

I usually dig them up and put a rainbird head in..

1idejim
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
The wholesale houses here give the arc adjusting tool to customers for FREE. I have a bunch of them in the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
No irrigation supply stores here. I may go to lowes and see why type rain bird heads they have. Then I should be able to fix/repair them as lowes should have the parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Its a allen head. Couldnt tell you what size because im sitting in my recliner and not in my truck right now.

I usually dig them up and put a rainbird head in..

Ah big red how goes it. I still have nightmare visions of your copperhead bite.

cjohn2000
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
No irrigation supply stores here. I may go to lowes and see why type rain bird heads they have. Then I should be able to fix/repair them as lowes should have the parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

While I was on vacation I wandered into a Home Depot. Rainbird now sells the 5000 there and Toro sells their new soil moisture sensor along with their stream nozzle. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Posted via Mobile Devicewhat part of "try a 1/4-inch screwdriver" don't you understand? - you need the Hunter tool to lift a head, but a flat-blade screwdriver is just fine for adjusting arc

AI Inc
07-06-2012, 06:46 AM
what part of "try a 1/4-inch screwdriver" don't you understand? - you need the Hunter tool to lift a head, but a flat-blade screwdriver is just fine for adjusting arc

what he said. Even those of us with 30 keys in each truck use a screwdriver on older heads that may be somewhat clogged.

grassmasterswilson
07-06-2012, 08:11 AM
While I'm not an irrigation tech I do have some common sense. I tried both a flat and Phillips screw driver on multiple heads. I couldn't seem to get either to catch or change to arc at all. From google all the instructions said to use a tool. So I figured it was a special screw or something

The heads work fine they just spray a little further than I would like.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
You said you were trying to adjust the arcs - get your story straight

Mark B
07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
What part of NC are you in?

DanaMac
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Simply put - the arc adjustment and the spray/diffuser adjustment are two different things. Two different tools.

grassmasterswilson
07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
You said you were trying to adjust the arcs - get your story straight

Yes, they spray a little further onto the concrete than I would like and they also spray out away from the head a little to far.

THis is an older system I just moved in to and not sure it was ever used. I'm still finding pop ups buried beneath mulch!!

grassmasterswilson
07-06-2012, 08:44 AM
What part of NC are you in?

I'm in Wilson

irrig8r
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
While I was on vacation I wandered into a Home Depot. Rainbird now sells the 5000 there and Toro sells their new soil moisture sensor along with their stream nozzle. :hammerhead:

Hunter has been selling MP Rotators there for a while now.... packaged individually and not bag quantities, and sometimes for less than or close to what I pay at my supply house.

Haven't seen the RB 5000s there. Have seen 1804s in box quantities.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
and the 1804 at HD is not the same you get or used to get at the supply houses. I quit buying them when they hit the HD joint

cjohn2000
07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Hunter has been selling MP Rotators there for a while now.... packaged individually and not bag quantities, and sometimes for less than or close to what I pay at my supply house.

Haven't seen the RB 5000s there. Have seen 1804s in box quantities.
I hadn't seen the MP at the HD before but I have seen Orbit's "Ecostream"

and the 1804 at HD is not the same you get or used to get at the supply houses. I quit buying them when they hit the HD joint

I knew the 32sa and 42sa were essentially 3500s and 5000s. Worst move Hunter made was selling at the HD.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
If they want to sell builder grade crap to the DYI crowd then have at it but leave the high end stuff to your loyal contractors.

mrsteve
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I believe that is what I ran into a year or so ago. It looked like a regular 1804, but the seal just rotted away. I think Mr. Maintenance had been to the box store for some heads. Gives Rain Bird a bad name, when it doesn't hold up very long.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I believe that is what I ran into a year or so ago. It looked like a regular 1804, but the seal just rotted away. I think Mr. Maintenance had been to the box store for some heads. Gives Rain Bird a bad name, when it doesn't hold up very long.

They could have sold it as something else and I would have been fine with the concept. I just want to show the homeowner something and say Brand X is a fine company but here is their professional version that I can offer you.

I do not mean for them to get in to the tricks Sealy and Serta did with the different fabrics over the same mattress body.

Same thing too, Lowes will have one version of a dryer, HD a slightly different version and the indie yet another version of the same appliance. It very well could be the same but the model # is different.

That way they can run ad's that say " find the exact same model for less and we will refund 110% of the differance". Guess what, you will not see the same model any where else! Maybe the same product but not the same model.

I do not play games with my clients, I stand behind my work. I do not like suppliers that play games. I have not looked at the MP's in the HD too close. I assume they are the same. I wish Hunter would back out of that postion and just let RB and Orbits have it.

mrsteve
07-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I think it was Toro that had a LG or lawn and garden product. Then you could tell the customer that those two items were different grade. This 1804 looked the same except it might have had a label on the body. It did have a bad seal though. Like they didn't field test it at all. Now if I see one I just quote replacing all of them, because it's just a matter of time before they fail.

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Now if I see one I just quote replacing all of them, because it's just a matter of time before they fail.

Everyone gets a bad one occasionally, but I agree, if the heads were all installed at the same time (solenoids, also), I'd be leaning to full replacement.

cjohn2000
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I wish Hunter would back out of that postion and just let RB and Orbits have it. I agree, Orbit and Hunter seem similar:rolleyes: