PDA

View Full Version : Blade speed up/ 2x blades on JD 7 iron deck.

Grasscape Inc
08-14-2000, 11:54 PM
Is anyone aware if there is a way, or kit to speed up the blades on the new John Deere 7iron decks, or have a 2x blade setup?

Richard Martin
08-15-2000, 05:52 AM
What speed are the blades turning at now? The OSHA limit is 19,000 ft. per second blade tip speed. The easiest way to increase blade speed is to increase engine RPMs.

Eric ELM
08-15-2000, 08:49 AM
If your spindles have a chamfer sticking down like my spindles on my 430, put the JD blades on top that have the 3/4" hole over the chamfer and put a set of blades with a 5/8" hole on the bottom to fit the bolts. DC blades are 5/8" in case you need that size. You can get them at your local Lesco dealer or DC dealer. Not sure what other brands have a 5/8" holed blade. This will work though.

Grasscape Inc
08-15-2000, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure of the blade speed now, but I don't think it i at 19,000. We just cant keep up with this rain. Crews are 3x cutting most lawns.

For double blade setup, all I need it two blades. Nothing special?

Does this go for SCag as well?

I need teh 6x blade setup, this rain will not slow down up here. %90 of our accounts are irrigated, plus the rain, and chemicals. It's not impossible work, but could be alot faster, than it is now.

Eric ELM
08-15-2000, 09:05 AM
Does your JD deck have a chamfer on the spindles? If so, read the above post I made. Just bolt the blades on in a + formation and torque them down good. Unless you hit something solid, they will stay in that formation.

Grasscape Inc
08-15-2000, 07:53 PM
no, no chamfer. The 7 iron blades look like standard JD blades, except the hole is larger, and the blade itself is thicker.

Where would I get smaller pulleys?

Charles
08-15-2000, 08:16 PM
You are it seems, looking for something that is not there. Grass cutting ain't easy most of the time. Some of the time during dry periods it is easier. But in rainy times triple cutting the grass can be normal. Lets face it. Sometimes the grass business suxs. And sometimes it doesn't sux as bad. lol. Only thing you can do is raise the blades higher and cut more often. During rainy times. The profit margin takes a hit.

LiVe2
08-15-2000, 08:26 PM
Are you talking about the new john deere 620 or 680? I have a 620 and I know what you are talking about. You get in that thick stuff and you have to go over it again and again.

LiVe