PDA

View Full Version : price opinions on a 247b

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, I wanted to pick your brains regarding a possible purchase of a cat 247b that I am thinking about picking up with a business purchase. We are a landscaping company off a guy who is moving to florida and he has this unit for sale. He is the original owner of the unit that he bought new.

here is some info on the unit:

Hours: 1200
cab w/heat&ac
pilot controls
tracks at 80%
uc looks in almost perfect condition, all bogeys/idlers are tight and have plenty of rubber on em, no chunks missing
hydro coupler
comes with a bucket

he used it for lawn installs and landscaping work, you can tell its barely been on dry pavement. he just started plowing with it last season.

I already own an rc100 so this smaller unit would be good for us and the rc100 is getting tired, so having another unit would be good peace of mind. plus i have winter work for both units.

he is asking 26K for the 247b. what do you guys think of the price? I asked him if it had any major issues and he said no, they just replaced a bearing on one of the bogeys a few weeks ago, but other than that he said its been great.

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
a quick check on machinery trader reveals that the price is pretty decent. alot of higher hr machines going for the same if not more. the machines that are in this price range dont have cabs. there are a couple odd ball priced units.

any other opinions as to this specific machine? ron didnt you have one of these way back when? remember your vid of dozing that muck around...

prolly offer 22k with purchase of the biz...any opinions?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
was one in Iowa had 1300 hrs and nice looking
And I was to slow getting there they sold it 21,750 it came with tooth bucket and bushcutter

Hollowellreid
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
You can get a lot I machine for 26k in my opinion. I don't think a 247 would be all that high on my list.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
What year is it? Remember, they had and still have issues with the engines mysteriously burning oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

mow king
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I flipped a similar unit, open cab with 350 hours last summer for $22500. Picked it up in your area.

swanny
07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
That's high for a 247b. If it was a series 2 or 3 it might be a little more reasonable.

Comparable unit of a 2006 asv RC60 loaded w/ac, 800 hrs., undercarriage in top shape sold for $22k here. Same unit, same year with 250 hrs. or so last week on ebay (south west) sold for $22,500 with dozer blade.

Market is some what down right now, imo, compared to last fall. Election year.

John_DeereGreen
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
What model year? If I remember correctly, the earlier units had issues with the 2.2's cracking oil pickup tubes and going into nuclear meltdown mode...

That seems like an awful lot of money for a regular 247b. Maybe a series 2 or 3 for that price...

Z'mnypit
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
What model year? If I remember correctly, the earlier units had issues with the 2.2's cracking oil pickup tubes and going into nuclear meltdown mode...

That seems like an awful lot of money for a regular 247b. Maybe a series 2 or 3 for that price...

2nd that. $26k is steep for a 247. The rollers are junk, track design weak and as mentioned the 2.2 is garbage. I wouldnt consider it. But thats just me

John_DeereGreen
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
2nd that. $26k is steep for a 247. The rollers are junk, track design weak and as mentioned the 2.2 is garbage. I wouldnt consider it. But thats just me

Don't get me wrong, I love the ASV undercarriage. It's all in how you maintain and operate it.

Are you stuck on a MTL or will a wheeled skid steer work for your needs?

ksss
07-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the ASV undercarriage. It's all in how you maintain and operate it.

While it is true the operator and maintaince do matter, but that alone will not cure what is wrong with that set up. A big factor is the type ground conditions you find yourself running in. If you run in topsoil all day every day you may see a decent life of tracks and rollers. Deviate from that and the cost per hour rapidly increases. Add to the fact that the ASV undercarriage was never designed for the CAT skid steer. The added weight and poor mounting of the undercarriage to the superstructure reduces the life expectancy over the pure ASV version.

Its not an accident that CAT soon realized they could not afford to rent out their own MTL's and make money. Many CAT stores bought VTS systems and put that on their skid steers as a way to offer a tracked machine what said CAT on it and not lose money with every rental. This was until they released their own CTL, the same concept that they slammed in the orginal ads for the MTL.

There are proper applications for an MTL. Unfortunately most of the guys who originally bought these machines found out the hard way what that was and it wasn't "their" application. If you buy one of these machines you need to know the capability and limitiations of the MTL and the costs associated with running it. After a careful study I think most users find that a CTL will do just fine without the drama. They are louder, dont ride as nice and dont grip the ground like an MTL but they run cheaper and resale better.

John_DeereGreen
07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm also biased toward the ASV undercarriage. I've never owned a CAT MTL, all my stuff has been ASV. So it's a good possibility that I'm not experiencing the failures that CAT users are.

My machines were always on dirt or turf, except in winter when they were on pavement pushing snow.