PDA

View Full Version : Wiper seals... replace the seal, or the whole head?

irrig8r
07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I used to think it sucked that Rain Bird sold their wiper seals for more than the cost of an 1804, because I'would rarely change more than the seal when they wore out.

In my own yard I looked at a few 1806s with seals that were almost gone. Used to think that with 1806s and 1812s that the wiper seal swap was a good, relatively inexpensive fix.

But then I took a closer look at the pistons and realized that (and in situations with sandy or gravelly soil especially) they were pretty scratched up.

The last couple of seasons I've usually been switching out everything but the case.

Now I just need a helpful suggestion on what to do with all those spare new cases. Art project ideas?

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I used to think it sucked that Rain Bird sold their wiper seals for more than the cost of an 1804, because I'would rarely change more than the seal when they wore out.

In my own yard I looked at a few 1806s with seals that were almost gone. Used to think that with 1806s and 1812s that the wiper seal swap was a good, relatively inexpensive fix.

But then I took a closer look at the pistons and realized that (and in situations with sandy or gravelly soil especially) they were pretty scratched up.
Now I just need a helpful suggestion on what to do with all those spare new cases. Art project ideas?

You've got a REP/Supplier problem. I used to buy wiper seals for the 1800s (by the box) since we dealt with sandy conditions, as well. They were no where near the cost of a 1806/1812. Those wiper seals were damn good, even with scratched risers, which is the fault of the installer and maintenance crew.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Put 1/2" plugs in the bottom and use them to hand water to marathon runners in the next San Fran Marathon. They just toss them on the ground after the quick gulp. Sell them to the petstore for the geckos to build nests in.

I'm sure I could come up with a few more after I have a beer or two.

bcg
07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Kiril will hate this answer but....I use them to fill the empty space in my garbage can until I can use them to fill the empty space in the dumpster...

Duekster
07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Another sign the 1804 is now a POS?

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I haven't taken apart an 1804 in years. When the modern version of the head came out, there was no wiper seal per se, since it was co-molded onto the cap.

Duekster
07-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I haven't taken apart an 1804 in years. When the modern version of the head came out, there was no wiper seal per se, since it was co-molded onto the cap.

About 4 years ago, RB asked me to test a new UV resistant seal on some of my accounts. They have problems or did and know it.

Wet_Boots
07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Anybody ever try to replace the wiper seal on a R-50?

grassman177
07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I just replace the whole thing, why not? The heads are cheap, plus 1800 series are junk.thin walled, seals leak.hunter pro spray is all I replace or install with..
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
1800 series are junk.thin walled, seals leak.hunter pro spray is all I replace or install with..

Crummy install and lack of maintance is all I can figure. I've never added them up, but I'd bet I've installed a thousand 1800 heads with no problems other than a easy change wiperseal. I am not a REP, but I do support products that give the client the bang for their buck.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Ditto

1800 series was the most consistent head I installed. Only head I liked better was the old 4.5" Hydrorain that took the champion nozzle.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Crummy install and lack of maintance is all I can figure. I've never added them up, but I'd bet I've installed a thousand 1800 heads with no problems other than a easy change wiperseal. I am not a REP, but I do support products that give the client the bang for their buck.

Times change old timer, RB has value engineered these to sell at the big box stores.

Pro-spray is a very nice unit.

grassman177
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM

one can sure appreciate that. i feel the hunter does the same for not much more really. but, dif soils and climates do dif things to heads, so it could have as much to do as that. around here, it aint the wiper seal that wears out soley, or whatnot. often, rocks protrude the outer casing as well as screw up the wiper seal.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
The only problem besides age and sun that affected my 1800 seals were squirrels. For whatever reason they chewed the white ring. I guess to sharpen their teeth.

Duekster
07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
The only problem besides age and sun that affected my 1800 seals were squirrels. For whatever reason they chewed the white ring. I guess to sharpen their teeth.

Like rats on drip, they learn they can get some water.

Wet_Boots
07-07-2012, 01:56 PM
do the results of all-PVC drip, with discrete emitters, justify their use in the dry locales where poly drip gets chewed?

Duekster
07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
do the results of all-PVC drip, with discrete emitters, justify their use in the dry locales where poly drip gets chewed?

In my experiance in line drip is only chewed when not mulched or covered with soil. It is the box covers and flush valves and such that gets it. The discrete emitters located above gound are just as subject to chewing.

Wet_Boots
07-07-2012, 02:09 PM
well, "the book" says cover the emitter tubing with maybe half-a-foot of mulch (yeah, sure)

grassman177
07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
it happens eventually lol, with landscapers notoriously mulching over things that should be uncovered!