PDA

View Full Version : who makes the best spray wand ???

Dawson
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I have shindaiwa's latest 4.5 gallon sprayer and I really don't like the wand it comes with....for some reason they decided to put the little filter cup in the handle where the hose screws on to it.... how do they expect you to be able to clean it out when it's placed in front of the flow lever? I have to pinch off the hose every time I take it out to clean it which is frequently because of the white film stuff that builds up inside the tank and clogs it up. It also seems to have problems shutting the flow off when I release the lever a lot of the time.

Anyway, just wanted to get suggestions for better quality spray wands to replace it with....I can modify the spray wand or hose however I need to to get a different one attached so that's not an issue.

RigglePLC
07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
"White film stuff"? What are you spraying? You need a better product.

Dawson
07-06-2012, 10:50 PM
"White film stuff"? What are you spraying? You need a better product.

roundup. the film is from bacteria or something. If water sits in a container for a while, film or scum builds up on the surfaces, it breaks off and clogs the filter in the wand....I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the product.

greendoctor
07-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Only enough material for immediate use should be mixed. :nono: The best wands are the Teejet brass body triggers, brass wands, 50 mesh filters fit right before the tip and of course, a fixed tip that enables you to calibrate the sprayer to cover an area with a fixed volume.

Dawson
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Only enough material for immediate use should be mixed. :nono: The best wands are the Teejet brass body triggers, brass wands, 50 mesh filters fit right before the tip and of course, a fixed tip that enables you to calibrate the sprayer to cover an area with a fixed volume.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

In my business mixing up the roundup "on demand" isn't practical.....I've been doing it this way for 20 years and it works fine other than the scum buildup in the tank, and that's not a problem either if the filter is behind the trigger so I can take it out and clean it without jumping through hoops.

RigglePLC
07-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Got any rum? Maybe a little alcohol in the solution would kill the bacteria. Or bleach? As long as its Roundup you dont have to worry about killing anything you are spraying.

So true--its a lot easier to clean the filter if you do not have to release the pressure and repump. Of course, some sprayers do not even have a filter--worse yet.

Cadzilla
07-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Plastic 18" wand that flexes when I spray with it. I remove any plastic tips or silly filters and use a brass adjustable cone to stream nozzle.

Brass wands are not durable enough for commercial use in my opinion. They are just too easily damaged and then they are scrap.

Dawson
07-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Plastic 18" wand that flexes when I spray with it. I remove any plastic tips or silly filters and use a brass adjustable cone to stream nozzle.

Brass wands are not durable enough for commercial use in my opinion. They are just too easily damaged and then they are scrap.

Maybe I should just try removing the filter entirely?....I hadn't tried because I figured the "scum" would plug up the nozzle but maybe it would just break apart and flow on through?

Ric
07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I have shindaiwa's latest 4.5 gallon sprayer and I really don't like the wand it comes with....for some reason they decided to put the little filter cup in the handle where the hose screws on to it.... how do they expect you to be able to clean it out when it's placed in front of the flow lever? I have to pinch off the hose every time I take it out to clean it which is frequently because of the white film stuff that builds up inside the tank and clogs it up. It also seems to have problems shutting the flow off when I release the lever a lot of the time.

Anyway, just wanted to get suggestions for better quality spray wands to replace it with....I can modify the spray wand or hose however I need to to get a different one attached so that's not an issue.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hamilton-nylon-spray-lance-22-in-l-2107060

When the SRS 600 Shurfo Back Pack sprayer first came out, Many of us bought it only to find the Spray wand TIP wasn't the greatest. We loved the battery no pump operation etc but the adjustable tip was a loser. It also was a Proprietary set up that would not take our favorite TEE JET NOZZLES.

Tractor Supply solved the problem with a replacement wand. In the picture it shows an adjustable spray nozzle. While that nozzle is OK it isn't my favorite Nozzle. Any Tee Jet tip will fit the this wand.

BTW the Price isn't bad either.

rlitman
07-07-2012, 08:43 PM

Every plastic wand I've had, had something of a plastic threaded fitting at the end. Just the lightest bump, and the threads would skip, and from then on, leak city.

I don't know what you're doing to damage a quality brass wand. Ok, sure, the cheap ones are paper thin, but the wand on my B+G would be pretty hard to break.

My tree sprayer has a stainless wand. Actually, it's a length of 1/4" sch 40 stainless pipe, with a 1/4" MIP thread on one end connected to a ball valve, and the hose is threaded into the ball valve. The other end has an 1/8" FIP thread, and I found a Teejet adaptor to screw into that. I screwed a bronze 1/8" street elbow into the end, a second street elbow into that, and the tip adaptor into that. This allows me to adjust the angle of the spray from the end of the wand to whatever I want. I couldn't be happier with this setup, and I really don't think a gorilla could break it.

Ric
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Every plastic wand I've had, had something of a plastic threaded fitting at the end. Just the lightest bump, and the threads would skip, and from then on, leak city.
I don't know what you're doing to damage a quality brass wand. Ok, sure, the cheap ones are paper thin, but the wand on my B+G would be pretty hard to break.

My tree sprayer has a stainless wand. Actually, it's a length of 1/4" sch 40 stainless pipe, with a 1/4" MIP thread on one end connected to a ball valve, and the hose is threaded into the ball valve. The other end has an 1/8" FIP thread, and I found a Teejet adaptor to screw into that. I screwed a bronze 1/8" street elbow into the end, a second street elbow into that, and the tip adaptor into that. This allows me to adjust the angle of the spray from the end of the wand to whatever I want. I couldn't be happier with this setup, and I really don't think a gorilla could break it.

My Bad: The Tractor supply Wand actually has a Steel tube that does bend or get effected by heat. I have used these wands for several years now and I haven't had any problems.

Cadzilla
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe I should just try removing the filter entirely?....I hadn't tried because I figured the "scum" would plug up the nozzle but maybe it would just break apart and flow on through?

I always have. The only thing they are going to do is stop the nozzle from clogging but to do so clogs the screen so whats the diff plus they restrict flow bigtime.

Toss em.

Cadzilla
07-07-2012, 10:43 PM

I have one on my Z-Max attached to the solo handle and on several backpacks. It's personal preference but I've had some wands off Hudson and Chapin sprayers that bent like butter.

We service a lot of customers and the plastic wands don't break.

I'm sure one could be built like yours that would be more durable but eh....I like me plastic.

knox gsl
07-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Is there a good way to regulate the pressure coming out of the tank. I would like to keep a steady stream but is hard to do while pumping.

Cadzilla
07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
My Bad: The Tractor supply Wand actually has a Steel tube that does bend or get effected by heat. I have used these wands for several years now and I haven't had any problems.

I've got some of those wands and guns laying around. They aren't bad and are cheap enough.