PDA

View Full Version : Bid lists?

M. Landscaping
01-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Looking for information and feedback regarding bid lists.
I have been landscaping for the last 2 years building up maintenance accouts. I have the capabilities and know how to do medium sized landscape jobs (ex. restaurants, hotels, etc.) I just do not know how to get in on the bidding for these type jobs.
-Do you put your name in the phonebook and just wait for calls ( I am proactive and do not like to wait but if that is the best way)
-Is there some sort of state bidding lists to get on?
or are there better ways?
Thanks for your feedback.

Mykster
01-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Call local builders/commercial contractors and tell them you are interested in bidding future projects. Give them some info about you and your business and some projects you have completed. It's tough to "get in" so to speak. Their usually on a budget and want you to be able to do it for next to nothing. Just keep working at it.

This is just through my own experiences so, I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

TurfGuyTX
01-07-2003, 10:32 PM
You might look at www.demandstar.com and see if it would be of any benefit to you.

MPhillips
01-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Calling local builders and developers is probably your best bet. Keep your name in front of them, make a buddy or 2 of their foremen, do good work when you get a shot, and you'll get business, it may take awhile though. Do your homework before dealing with them though. Get your payment agreements up front and in writing. It's usually best to take small payments frequently, many developers extend themselves financially to leverage larger projects, and they can reach too far which at best will force them to pay you very late. Make sure you have a handle on your costs too...your marging will be much smaller in commercial...cash flow may be higher, but margins will be smaller...you'll be bidding on tight margins.

RwADesigner
01-12-2003, 08:04 PM
We have an Association of contractors office in my area.
You might want to check and see if there is one in yours. We pay a yearly fee that allows us to receive a monthly newsletter with all the commercial construction going on, the dates, what is bidding, locations, budget, so forth. We find it really a necessity for bidding commercial jobs.

greenman
01-12-2003, 08:16 PM
You guys are talking about lanscaping such as installs, right? What about the maintenance after the installs? Will these bid lists benefits for that also? I am not equipped to handle the new installs, because most of my work is lawn care, such as maintenance, applications, and light landscaping such as planting and mulching. I would like to, however, bid on the new sites for the contract maintenance. Thanks in advance.

Mykster
01-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by greenman
What about the maintenance after the installs

I know of some LCO's that give the commercial customer a big discount on the install if they sign a contract for 3-5yrs. on the maintenace.

MPhillips
01-13-2003, 08:29 AM
for maintenance contract after an install....the contractor that did the landscape portion of the install will usually gets first shot at the maintenance after the installation if he's so equipped. After the install there still may be several months til opening or occupation of building and the landscape is usually maintained at this point by the GC who has already hired the landscape contractor so it rolls over reall easy to the GC then to the tenant. Having said that, find out who the tenant will be and approach them directly, ask to bid, and be a little more aggressive than you may normally be, considering that they'll be extremely busy running the logistics of a move into the new facility as well. Remember at this point they'll have a million problems going on, they already have a landscaper, and they may not want to mess with someone else...

Is this what you meant?

greenman
01-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Yes, thanks very much. There is so much growth here, new buildings are popping up everywhere, but I do not know who to talk to about bidding. Is it easier to get maint. on a new site, or bid on an existing site?

MPhillips
01-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Aquiring the business is a little different ...it may be best in both situations for you to call the property manager for the companies you want to service. Ask who you need to talk to about landscape maintenance, then call them if it's not the property manager, find out what you'd need to do to be considered as a vendor, when they bid...that kind of stuff. Write down the contact name and send a nice little follow-up note... If you see a property that really looks bad...that may be a good prospect because they need your help...sorry to be brief...good luck