PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered Controller/timer??

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Putting in a system at the entrance to a school. going to be a reall pain in the a$$ to get power where i need it, would require going under two driveways.:cry::cry:

has anyone used the battery operated control boxes, Hunter seems to make some nice ones, and they will work with my RB valves i already have(just have to change out the solenoids to DC ones.

here are the two im looking at.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Controller-p/xch600.htm
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Controller-p/xch800.htm

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Those are good controllers. They even have an option to be powered by a solar panel.

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
just read the dc solenoids will not work with my RB valves, looks like i will need to order new valves also.

greenmonster304
07-08-2012, 09:45 PM
If they are the dv style you can get dc latching solenoids.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
You can run Rainbird valves off of DC using the TBOS 9V solenoids. Forget trying to use the Hunter latching solenoids, they are made to fit only Hunter valves.

Mike Leary
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
If there's enough money in the project, I'd do the TBOS.

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 09:55 PM
thanks fellas. guess ill have to see if my local irrigation supply has the dc solenoids for the RB valves.

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
TBOS solenoids and a Hunter 9V controller works well for me. TBOS solenoids can be had with adapters to work on just about all valves.

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
wow. the TBOS controllers are exspensive!

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 10:11 PM
As well as a pain to program. Which is why I suggest using a Hunter controller with the TBOS solenoids. The best of both worlds.

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
As well as a pain to program. Which is why I suggest using a Hunter controller with the TBOS solenoids. The best of both worlds.

Thanks!:waving::waving:

HunterTekGeek
07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
greendoctor is correct. The Hunter XC-Hybrid can run Rain Bird TBOS solenoids. No problem.

Black DC Latching Solenoid Wires = COMMON
Red = Individual stations
Tip on DC installations: Make good (really good!) waterproof splices.

cjohn2000
07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Have you looked at the Toro?

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Toro-Battery-Operated-Controller-p/ddcwp-6-9v.htm

My boss introduced me to them, pretty nice programs like a normal controller. The node isnt bad either. Dont get me started with the TBOS or the other bat. operated controller Rainbird made that had no display. :hammerhead:

1idejim
07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
greendoctor is correct. The Hunter XC-Hybrid can run Rain Bird TBOS solenoids. No problem.

Black DC Latching Solenoid Wires = COMMON
Red = Individual stations
Tip on DC installations: Make good (really good!) waterproof splices.

Glad you keep an eye on the forum, it is nice to have you around pard.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
The Hunter SVC and "Node" controllers are very difficult to program and are subject to water intrusion. They come with Hunter's DC latching coils attached, but you can cut these off and attach the Torro DCL's or the Rainbird DCL's.

I have a bunch of Hunter SVC's and Nodes attached to Hunter valves. They have to be swapped out every 12 to 24 months. Granted they are in field boxes that become submerged during rainy season... but still.

We recently installed a Torro controller on another site. After a little tweaking with the latching coils it works fine, easier to program and can be mounted above ground.

cjohn2000
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The Hunter SVC and "Node" controllers are very difficult to program
Better than a Nelson Solarrain

Mike Leary
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Dont get me started with the TBOS or the other bat. operated controller Rainbird made that had no display. :hammerhead:

Hmm, we bought the transmitter for our TBOS sites and had no trouble with the screen. They are tricky to program, because basically they are a clock, with all the sophistication involved.

cjohn2000
07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Hmm, we bought the transmitter for our TBOS sites and had no trouble with the screen. They are tricky to program, because basically they are a clock, with all the sophistication involved.
We took over a site that had TBOS, 4 valves, and came with the original older style programmer. We could never figure out the problem, that being why could we not get them to turn on from the controller, or even program or pull a program. So in went the Toro. Its nice to have a display to see what it is doing.

greenmonster304
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I never used a tbos (too spendy). I have used the toro and hunter. The toro is great and easy to program, I use it for multiple zone applications. The hunter is good for single valves, the multizone model is dificult to navigate.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I prefer the Toro model as well. I have one site with about 18-20 of the Hunters. When I have an issue with them, they get yanked out and the Toro goes in. Installed three of the Toros so far.

KrayzKajun
07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Guess ill give the Toro Controller a try. i ordered the dc solenoids for my rain bird valves last night.