PDA

View Full Version : Fenceline Vegetation Management - Rate Help

Northern Turf Man
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi guys....I recently got my Applicator's License and have a fenceline vegetation management job lined up. I plan on spraying a 6 inch wide band on each side of the fence, using a combination of Scythe and ProDeuce. My question is what would be a proper amount of concentrate of each chemical to use when mixed together? The vegetation is not super thick, and is not woody, just a combination of grass and broadleaf weeds. I just don't want to go too heavy on the Scythe and prevent the ProDeuce from translocating to the roots. Any insight would be appreciated!

KrayzKajun
07-08-2012, 09:31 PM
What does the label say??? The label is the law.

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Do you need a soft bareground or a hard bareground? Prodiamine is a good annual grass herbicide but not much else. There are good preemergents for broadleaves that should be added. Scythe at up to 1% is recommended for speeding up the action of glyphosate.

Ric
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM

For My 2 cent I recommend "Roundup Extend" for a soft bare ground. I am using it here in Florida on large Gravel Drive ways and fence line. Beside the fact I am get 6 to 9 months in some cases, It is SAFE for Existing Trees and Woody Ornamentals. To me the extra safety of "Roundup Extend" being a Pre Emerge instead of a ground sterilizer is most important. I have never Used Sahara because I fear the Collateral Damage it can cause. I like the ""KISS"" factor of "Roundup Extend" (Keep It Simple Superman).

greendoctor
07-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Will "RoundUP Extend" kill palms? I know Sahara or Arsenal will. This is in high organic, high clay soil. Not sand.

Ric
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Will "RoundUP Extend" kill palms? I know Sahara or Arsenal will. This is in high organic, high clay soil. Not sand.

Yes the label says Woody ornamental are safe because this is a PRE EMERGE not a ground sterilizer. But there is nothing about Palms which are a Mono-cote the same as Grass. Even tearing the formula apart and looking at each AI says nothing about Palms.

Great Point about Sand, it has little or no chemical or water holding power. Sand is what I deal with everyday. Top Choice year round ant control doesn't last 6 month on our sand. Point here is WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU and your heavy clay soil with chemical holding power. Or Vice Versa. BTW Gravel Drive ways can be worse than sand in many ways.

With the Exception of Foxtail Palms (Wodyetia bifurcata) which are effected by straight Glyphosate, So far I don't see any palm tree stress. Just to be safe after reading the labels I did some tests on a Cabbage Palm (Sabel palmetto) and a Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana). These are Cheap dirty Palms that are pretty common in Production landscapes. But also note while I spray more Glyphosate than most, I am not back packing ornamental beds in upscale yards. I power spray 99% of my Glyphosate and what ever additive. I mostly do commercial work or industrial sites with Glyphosate not fine yards. Here in Florida it is SOP for the mowing crew to spray the beds for weeds.

greendoctor
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
This is not for a landscape. It is for a non crop area that has Royal Palms and Coconuts that could be used as field stock. I thought I would ask because one of my colleagues warned me about what Arsenal would do to palms even if they were growing in clay.

Ric
07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
This is not for a landscape. It is for a non crop area that has Royal Palms and Coconuts that could be used as field stock. I thought I would ask because one of my colleagues warned me about what Arsenal would do to palms even if they were growing in clay.

I want to think Royal and Coconut palms would be safe, I am sure Monsanto did a lot more testing than I did before taking on the Liability of releasing Roundup Extend. Both those trees are worth more money to replace than cheap Queen or Cabbage palms. A quick call or E mail to Monsanto might be the fastest way to get an answer. I waited 2 months and an extra heavy application before declaring Cabbage and Queen Palms safe.

greendoctor
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
There is no warning on the label about applying under ornamental palms. Otherwise, Monsanto would be in tremendous trouble in both Hawaii and Florida. The label for imazapic does mention some shrubs that should not be treated.

I need to control invasive grasses in the non crop areas of a nursery. Pendulum kind of works, but it needs to be sprayed on clean ground then watered in. The way RoundUp extend operates would fit in much better. I also appreciate the effect of it on existing weeds. 2+2=7.