PDA

View Full Version : Midwest-deadline for Merit apps?

mikesturf
07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I still have 20, 15,000 ft2 lawns that I need to apply Merit/fert still. No rain in 21 days, lawns are non irrigated and no chance the homeowners will water fertilizer in after it is applied. I just need some rain so I can apply Merit so it gets watered in.

How long to you think I have until my effectiveness window expires? I know that the grub pressure will be low since these lawns are non irrigated, just looking at timing-Thanks!

grassman177
07-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Good luck, and may it rain on you and I both very soon
Posted via Mobile Device

R & R Yard Designs
07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
If they don't water why apply it the grubs don't really like hard soils.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cadzilla
07-09-2012, 03:35 PM
If they don't water why apply it the grubs don't really like hard soils.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because the customer requested the application?

mikesturf
07-10-2012, 12:54 AM
These lawns have had grub damage in the past, that is why these customers are insisting on having Merit applied. Yes the soil is ROCK HARD now so the beetles won't like laying their eggs there now. However, I'm hesitant about not apply the Merit, because if we get a rainy end of July and these lawns get grubs, I look incompetent to the customer.

R & R Yard Designs
07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Why not spray
Posted via Mobile Device

mikesturf
07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm all granular.

Pythium
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Spray needs watered in within 24 hours. You got a little longer window with granular. Also I would say we are getting pretty close to the end of that window, if not there already. I have seen masked chafers since the beginning of May, Jap. beetles since 2nd week of June, but not the masses usually seen. Not many calls to spray shrubs for them. :( Me thinks the dryness is effecting there pupating. Plus side, irrigation business is CRAZY BUSY!

rcreech
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Eggs are probably just being laid and if there is no moisture the eggs will not hatch anyway.

The eggs have to be hydrated.

If it stays dry the chances of having a grub problem should be much less.

I have always heard you can apply through August 15th as they are still small enough.

Application date for grub control has never been an issue for us but it may be this year.

We are not applying until it rains so we may not even get it down this year.

OH WELL!!!

mikesturf
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Eggs are probably just being laid and if there is no moisture the eggs will not hatch anyway.

The eggs have to be hydrated.

If it stays dry the chances of having a grub problem should be much less.

I have always heard you can apply through August 15th as they are still small enough.

Application date for grub control has never been an issue for us but it may be this year.

We are not applying until it rains so we may not even get it down this year.

OH WELL!!!

Our 7 day forecast calls for the same, no rain, no rain and more of no rain.

It looks like I may just skip the Merit/fert and just hope for no grubs.

mikesturf
07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
You got a little longer window with granular.

I don't think the window is 28 days tho.:dizzy:

I just hope we get decent rains this fall for aerating and seeding.