PDA

View Full Version : Howd ya like to see your Biz stolen ?

A Leaf Above
07-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Well these guys got to see it on the wonderful cameras the high security storage yards have ...Welcome to wonderful South Florida ! And with all the rampid lawn equipment theft going on down here this is the 1st time i have read about or seen anything on the news about equipment theft ...Its a joke down here ...

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21007956357810/100k-in-lawn-equipment-stolen/

nortonlawncare
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
wow talk about bold

HLM HustlerZ
07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
wow talk about bold

You're not kidding, this had to of take several minutes in the broad daylight. These thieves should be %$&@#?! over and over again.....

Landscape Poet
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
That sucks but there is a reason you should have inland marine insurance and not just General Liability at the very min.

GreenI.A.
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
That sucks but there is a reason you should have inland marine insurance and not just General Liability at the very min.

This is also why when shopping for insurance you should be concerned with wore than what the policy will cost. When I was getting quotes I also requested documentation of payout time frames for major theft, fire to shop, accidents, etc, that could lead to the loss a large per engage of equipment. Something that is crucial in our industry. The policy I have allows me rental coverage of the same or better equipment, while settleing a lose. The rental on small equipment extends one week past the date the insurance payment is made to allow me time to shop for equipment. On large equipment and trucks the rental extends 2 weeks after I receive the insurance payment.

BPS##
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
This is also why when shopping for insurance you should be concerned with wore than what the policy will cost. When I was getting quotes I also requested documentation of payout time frames for major theft, fire to shop, accidents, etc, that could lead to the loss a large per engage of equipment. Something that is crucial in our industry. The policy I have allows me rental coverage of the same or better equipment, while settleing a lose. The rental on small equipment extends one week past the date the insurance payment is made to allow me time to shop for equipment. On large equipment and trucks the rental extends 2 weeks after I receive the insurance payment.

Good advice.

GreenI.A.
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Good advice.

Too many guys don't pay attention to that part and think they are fully covered, but then are worried about losing their business when the are waiting 6 weeks to get a check from insurance when they have no equipment to use for work in the mean time

Puddle of Oil
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Who's your insurer?

BPS##
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Too many guys don't pay attention to that part and think they are fully covered, but then are worried about losing their business when the are waiting 6 weeks to get a check from insurance when they have no equipment to use for work in the mean time

My policy renewal is coming up in a couple months.
I'll be asking some questions.

I learned last summer that a wreck that totals your main/only work truck will cause A LOT of problems. The rest of the equipment isn't hard to imagine either.

GreenI.A.
07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Who's your insurer?

Auto - (trucks and trailers) is with Commerce Insurance, this policy does cover all equipment and tools in the truck, bed, and on/in the trailers at the time of a theft or accident.

GL/Inland Marine - is with The Hartford. This covers anything above and beyond what the auto insurance covers. This policy also covers the rental while waiting for a check from either insurance company.

BPS##
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
The Hartford..... hah

I suppose as long as they are working for you they might be OK.

When one of their insured is responsible for a wreck......... they duck and dive and do every thing they can
include full out lying to avoid paying for things like lost revenue etc from the wreck their guy caused.

GreenI.A.
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
The Hartford..... hah

I suppose as long as they are working for you they might be OK.

When one of their insured is responsible for a wreck......... they duck and dive and do every thing they can
include full out lying to avoid paying for things like lost revenue etc from the wreck their guy caused.

I have put in a few claims with them. One was a large one in which one of my trucks rear ended one of my other trucks at a redlight. They didn't even give me a problem with that one. I think a lot of it comes down to the agent you have.

blk90s13
07-20-2012, 12:23 AM
I sleep with one eye open worrying about my equipment being stolen its a nightmare.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Thats to bad! Hopefully they find those guys!

lazor-cut
08-05-2012, 04:47 PM
AND THEY WONDER WHY SO MANY PEOPLE SLEEP With one finger on the trigger of a gun!

I finally got a shop that was FILLED with Security Cameras...LOVE IT! Last company Decked it out! I can see the whole shop Inside and out on my laptop or Iphone. Also receive a text when anyone opens the gate to the yard or opens the shop door.... All (well MOST) of the trucks and equipment have locators. Yeah it cost a lot up front but after your 100k dollar truck and 7k dollar trailer rig has been stolen is NOT the time to wish you had it...

A Leaf Above
08-06-2012, 07:29 AM
They did find one of the rigs in Miami (of course) ....The other 2 are probally out in the fields in homestead stripped clean ( miami again of course) or on a container ship same day and down to south america it goes for big profits ....I so love it down here ! :) lol

A Leaf Above
08-06-2012, 07:32 AM
I will be calling my insurance agaent today ..I have the inland marine policy but never even thought about the rental of equipment if something happens AGAIN ...LOL .....Thanks for this info ...!

Spreadburylawn
08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
I own Spreadbury landscape, we are out of Hernando County. On Aug. 02, 2012 we got robbed. One of my F-250 , 20 ft trailer, and just under 30,000 in equipment was stolen. We found the truck and trailer within a couple of hours, and of course no equipment. It was found off of I-4 Dover exit on back street. I have heard this has been happening alot lately. I spoke to a couple of companies and all of their trucks have been found in the same general area. They are targeting F-250 up to F-550 because they can punch the locks, so watch your stuff. Does anyone have any ideas who may be doing this, or where the equipment is going.

A Leaf Above
08-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I own Spreadbury landscape, we are out of Hernando County. On Aug. 02, 2012 we got robbed. One of my F-250 , 20 ft trailer, and just under 30,000 in equipment was stolen. We found the truck and trailer within a couple of hours, and of course no equipment. It was found off of I-4 Dover exit on back street. I have heard this has been happening alot lately. I spoke to a couple of companies and all of their trucks have been found in the same general area. They are targeting F-250 up to F-550 because they can punch the locks, so watch your stuff. Does anyone have any ideas who may be doing this, or where the equipment is going.

Foord trucks are the easiest to steal ..It takes 2 seconds to do it ....Acouple things you can do is install JIMMIJAMMERS ..These are metal plates that u bolt in behind lock cylinders ..Also the plastic handle assembly can be switched with the metal assemblies ( i HAVE A SCREWDRIVER MARK IN MY METAL ONE NOW ..THEY COULDNT BREAK IT ) ... You can leave cylinder linkage disconnected if you have auto locks ....I even have an inline fuel shutoff that i turn off nightly ..They steal it they wont get far :) ...The equipment is being bought and sold in the same areas in every city ...Its real bad here ...

GreenI.A.
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Foord trucks are the easiest to steal ..It takes 2 seconds to do it ....Acouple things you can do is install JIMMIJAMMERS ..These are metal plates that u bolt in behind lock cylinders ..Also the plastic handle assembly can be switched with the metal assemblies ( i HAVE A SCREWDRIVER MARK IN MY METAL ONE NOW ..THEY COULDNT BREAK IT ) ... You can leave cylinder linkage disconnected if you have auto locks ....I even have an inline fuel shutoff that i turn off nightly ..They steal it they wont get far :) ...The equipment is being bought and sold in the same areas in every city ...Its real bad here ...

Will the Jimmijammers prevent a towing company from being able to slim jim the door when you lock the keys inside? The fuel line shutoff is a good idea. I know a lot of guys that have them on classic cars. They range from a simple valve such as on mower tanks to electronic ones that have a switch hidden under the dash

A Leaf Above
08-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Will the Jimmijammers prevent a towing company from being able to slim jim the door when you lock the keys inside? The fuel line shutoff is a good idea. I know a lot of guys that have them on classic cars. They range from a simple valve such as on mower tanks to electronic ones that have a switch hidden under the dash

No ...The jimmijammers are just there to prevent the lock cylinder from being punched out ...They still should be able to slim jim

rob7233
08-20-2012, 03:32 AM

I read recently that the Mexican smugglers/drug cartels prefer the Ford F250 since they are so easy to steal and they are great for traveling through the desert avoiding border patrol.

A Leaf Above
08-20-2012, 05:31 AM
I read recently that the Mexican smugglers/drug cartels prefer the Ford F250 since they are so easy to steal and they are great for traveling through the desert avoiding border patrol.

I heard same thing ...4x4s are commonly stolen to run drugs and illegals ..

capt bob
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Most likely the equipment is heading to major ports like Miami even Tampa and being
"containerized" not titled articles do not require the Manifests like titled vehicles
Most end up in S America and island Nations via Cargo ships , I was in the Pawn business and found out quite a bit about this dealing with law enforcement regularly .
Port of Miami. Other countries do not have the strict serial number background checks
Like we do here in the states .
Sounds like they are organized and prob. To smart to sell locally .
I know the insurance I have is replacement for my equipment and costs less than a
Backpack Stihl blower annually.

MR-G
08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
we have teamed up with 2 other lco's and now have a pretty secure facility....although nothing is perfect you can make it harder to steal....10 ft fence w/barb wire, outside perimeter lazer detection (will trip silent alarm tied in to 3 of us as well as PD..) 2 really mean/traind dogs who only come in contact and answer to the 3 of us owners...our crews are not permitted any contact with the dogs....each truck has alarm as well as gps tracking....each trailer has alarm as well....all trailer are separated from trucks each night and tongue locks in place....16 camera surv. system that we can all watch from pc or phones (also records 24/7) btw the gps system will call our cell phone if truck/trailer move at all during off hours....we have put together a tough system for a fraction of what it costs to replace our equipment....thats not to say its bullet proof but it helps deter theft, as all 3 of us have been hit several times....

capt bob
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Damn G, I can only see one weakness you are minus a Roof top Sniper lol.

Do know one thing be careful with the dogs even on posted private property a dog bite or Mauling is a meal ticket for a Pot licking injury Lawyer . I had considered a dog at my shop but legal advice deterred
That rather quickly.