PDA

View Full Version : Help making a equipment list

Cat 320D LRR
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey guys im getting into hardscaping next year and have some work already lined up and will be taking classes this winter before i start doing the work but am working on my equipment list here is what i got so far

Deere 323D(also for brush mowing and snow plowing)
Wacker Nueson Singe Direction plate packer
Stihl TS410 with EWC
Levels
Laser with tripod and receiver
rubber mallets
1" pipe for sand when applying pavers
sand pull
shovels rakes hand tamper

what else am i missing

xtreem3d
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
just off the top of my head...you said rubber mallets, i hope they're not the kind you see roger cook from this old house using (drives me crazy hehe)
string lines , wheelbarrow, angle grinder, base rake (not a regular rake !) soapstone markers, block splitter

I'm sure there will be a gazillion more answers coming up

Red Shed Landscaping
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I have been doing hardscaping for 9 years now and still don't have all that I would like to have. A dump truck or dump drailer would be a very big time saver and a must imo. Rebar for string lines, tape measure, a skid loader big enough to lift pallets of block, pallet forks, blower, masonary hammer and chisel and others.

big daddy b
07-10-2012, 09:09 PM
First off, I hope your not planning on picking up full pallets of brick with that 323D, because the one that we have doesn't do it. The CT 332 definitely does and I prefer using that over the 323D.
Definitely upgrade to a Stihl TS420, much smoother saw, more power.

As far as actual tools...things I don't see listed yet:
handheld leaf blower
dead blows, mini-sledge, string lines, metal grade stakes or concrete stakes - don't use rebar for your string lines
Screed rakes,
good garden hoses, nozzle, smooth surface broom
squares, triangles, framing square....
a couple good hand trowels, hand brooms

that will get you started, like someone else said you will never be done buying the things you need when doing hardscapes.

DVS Hardscaper
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
the most important tool one needs to be as great as me is a brain. Not just any smart brain, but you need a brain with knowledge in construction. Excavating, grading, carpentry, framing, etc.

Otherwise, you can have all the mallots and plate compactors in the world and it wont make a difference.

alldayrj
07-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Target brick saw or equivalent
x2 for brains

amscapes03
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Gotta have one of these.

Cat 320D LRR
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
i think ive got the brain covered what do pallet weight in at for flagstone brink and pavers and retaining wall block

alldayrj
07-19-2012, 10:38 PM
3k is a safe bet

Krafty
07-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I have had flagstone pallets that easily weigh in well over 4k, or a full pallet of step blocks easily at 4.... And just because someone has to be the a hole, you have work lined up for 6 months from now but you don't have any hardscape experience???

Cat 320D LRR
07-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I have had flagstone pallets that easily weigh in well over 4k, or a full pallet of step blocks easily at 4.... And just because someone has to be the a hole, you have work lined up for 6 months from now but you don't have any hardscape experience???

i guess i should say minimal experience but have never been to any classes just on th job learning and alot of my work is family and close friends so it was pretty easy getting the work

and none of the work is starting until i take the classes and that was my call not my clients

Krafty
07-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Another question, do you currently already own this equipment?? If not that is a lot of cash to throw at a venture have you ever considered renting?

Cat 320D LRR
07-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Another question, do you currently already own this equipment?? If not that is a lot of cash to throw at a venture have you ever considered renting?

i have alot of the smaller tools and am getting a 420 next week. the deere is alot being used for brush mulching contracts i have

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
What is a "420"? Marijuana?
Posted via Mobile Device

big daddy b
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Stihl TS420 Demo Saw.

atta boy. Good saw.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
no one said excavator? I think 27 size is right for H-S.