PDA

View Full Version : Can I save this tree

BLC1
07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
The trees were planted this spring. The one on the left was blown over early in the spring before being staked. Please let me know if you think it can be saved.

Dr.NewEarth
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Get a white paper and tap a branch over it. See if there are spider mites first of all. If you have them they will clamber around on the paper.

Can you get a shot of the trunk as it enters the ground?

I think you have root ball damage and spider mites.

I do not know if you will be able to save it.

Dr.NewEarth
07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Perhaps this will help. You may have already done this....

Make sure your root zone is draining properly. If it is clay soil it won't. You need to dig a hole two to three times the width of the root ball, and scarate the sides of the clay. Possibly even channel excess water away by cutting through the clay.

Also, check the root ball for air pockets. Do this by getting down there, and pushing your fingers deep in between the strands of roots. Make sure there are no voids. Pack it in with soil.

Water in with a transplant fertilizer, 10-52-10.

Stake your trees for no longer than two years maximum, so that they will develop good trunk taper, roots and stability.

BLC1
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I will get some more pictures in the morning and also check for the mites. Thanks!

Smallaxe
07-12-2012, 09:01 AM
The pix came through this time... it looks exactly like some of my spruce trees look right now as well... not enough water to survive the excessive heat... if those are B&Bs it would be smart to open the tops and flood the rootballs then check your drainage... very little time left for the one who's top is dead... that one might be thrown away anyways becuz it will never look right in the landscape... good luck...

BLC1
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I did the white paper trick and did have a few mites show up. I will attach some more pictures.

BLC1
07-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Nightly bump

Smallaxe
07-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Crown buried in mulch as well... whoever planted that tree did not do a good job at all...

phasthound
07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
If it were my tree, I would remove it now and replace it in the fall.

Here is some good advice on proper tree planting.
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

Coffeecraver
07-14-2012, 04:42 AM
It's time to get a new tree:)

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Probably a new tree in your future. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

BLC1
07-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Sounds like no chance to save it? Anything to try?

Duekster
07-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Sounds like no chance to save it? Anything to try?

deciduous trees can drop leaves and come back from transplant shock and a short dry spell but I have not seen many evergreens to that well once they brown out.

These trees will stay green for weeks after you cut them off at the stump. Once they go brown they are often past dead. Is some of the tree alive, maybe but it likely will not have a good shape in the future.