PDA

View Full Version : Longshot but worth a try

Kkane97
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
This ones a long shot, I have a troy bilt 34087 mower with an 8.5 b/s engine and today somehow it started to leak gas after inspection, the threads below the jet got "pulled" and the bolt will no longer thread to hold on the float bowl, so I was hoping someone out there may have a carb that they would be willing to sell.

Motor # 196707
Carb# 494894

I would much rather rebuild a used carb than buy a new one for $150

cgaengineer
07-10-2012, 08:39 PM
This ones a long shot, I have a troy bilt 34087 mower with an 8.5 b/s engine and today somehow it started to leak gas after inspection, the threads below the jet got "pulled" and the bolt will no longer thread to hold on the float bowl, so I was hoping someone out there may have a carb that they would be willing to sell.

Motor # 196707
Carb# 494894

I would much rather rebuild a used carb than buy a new one for $150

Can you dress up the threads? That's not a critical bolt...maybe replace with one that's about 2-3 threads longer...provided it doesn't bottom out and block jet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kkane97
07-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I was thinking a heliocoil as a last resort before laying down the money for a new one the bolt that was there was actually pretty long I think even 2 threads longer would block to jet and thats a No No, we tried a trick I showed my dad on youtube of using a paper clip or small peice of wire, to take up the slack for the bad threads, and it worked but not enough and kept a slow leak going. We initially were thinking lubing the bolt with some type of grease, coating it with JB Weld threading it into place letting it cure then backing out the bolt and hoping for the best, but I read that JB Weld doesnt like pot metal/aluminum and as soon as pressure was applied by tightening the bolt the "threads" would give out and I would be back at square one

cgaengineer
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
How about peening the jet housing with a punch? You don't need many foot pounds to hold it on. Jb weld wouldn't take that environment for long anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Have you googled the numbers you listed above? I have done that with parts and got good results.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kkane97
07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Yea I checked you know google ebay ect nothing less than 132 cgaengineer what do you mean by peening the housing pushing the metal inward to make a sort of lip for the bolt to catch on.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Yea I checked you know google ebay ect nothing less than 132 cgaengineer what do you mean by peening the housing pushing the metal inward to make a sort of lip for the bolt to catch on.
Posted via Mobile Device

10-4. The carb is hosed...anything you try at this point cant hurt. I would install bolt so that metal is supported, support jet housing on something firm...not hard (thinking wood block) and just knock some dents into the metal...it wont take much with a sharp punch...make sure its a small punch too...like a dowel pin punch for a 1/16-1/8 dowel pin but with a point on it.

cgaengineer
07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
The idea is to push the metal in slightly so that the bolt can grip the old treads...or whats left of them. Once you do this put it on craigslist and sell it!

I MOW ALONE
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
i think i might have a carb for you i have a 8.5 briggs i will have to check #s and let you know tomorrow. the carb is good engine was running but smoking and knocking.

Kkane97
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
That would be awesome if its the same, I could send a pic of mine if you are unsure, what is the carb off of?

I MOW ALONE
07-10-2012, 11:39 PM
just went outside here are #son tag it is a 8.5 powerbuilt model 197702 type 1015-E1 code 0005091A. too dark to get #s off carb are they stamped on carb? my experience tells me it should interchange with yours but you can do your own research if you want.

Kkane97
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
DUDE! If you would be willing to sell it that would be awesome! after a bit of searching its the same carb my engines model # is 196707 and this will fit it!
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/Briggs_Stratton_Carburetors3198.html

Sending you a pm