PDA

View Full Version : Utility bed w/ Gooseneck hitch???

KrayzKajun
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
looking to add another truck for mowing/irrigation, and on occassion pull my gooseneck trailer.

i really like the idea of a reg cab truck w/ utility body. has anyone seen one or have one with a gooseneck hitch in it??

this is one of the trucks im going look at

knox gsl
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I saw one a few years ago DRW ford with similar body. It was a plumbing outfit and he was moving a mini X on a 14K flatbed.

whiffyspark
07-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I've never seen an actual utility body with one. I've seen pickup beds molded like a utility body. I'm sure you've seen them

The only concern I would have is if you have clearance. I know a salt spreader fits though lol
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
:hammerhead:guess ill have to do some internet searching.:hammerhead:

gcbailey
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I know a guy who has a "half" utility bed, has the front and wheel boxes, but not the rear, he pulls a goose neck with it. I think it was a knaphede (sp) body.

real similar to this one, but higher box toward the cab. http://www.knapheide.com/product/westerner-storage-bodies/

rvon99
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
CM beds TM model I just had the SK model put on my F350 and really like it. I am thinking about putting the TM on my F250 crew cab short bed.

http://www.cmtruckbeds.com/pages/tm_model.html

Mowingman
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I see it done around here a lot. I also see that most of the utility bed trucks hauling goosenecks have crunched up tool boxes.
It generally is not a problem to haul a gooseneck with one of these. HOWEVER, you MUST check the truck with each specific gooseneck you intend to pull. All gooseneck hitches do not have the same clearance height.
The rig may turn fine of LEVEL ground. But, if the trailer wheels ever travel through low spot in a turn, like in a bar ditch, you will most likely tear up the top corner of the tool box.
So, test it with the trailer you will pull, and always be aware of where the trailer wheels are traveling in a turn. It is risky, but it will work.

KrayzKajun
07-11-2012, 11:52 PM
I also thought about the gooseneck ball that is 4"s higher that normal, raise the trailer up a lil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
07-11-2012, 11:57 PM
That would help. However, it would transfer a lot of the weight to the back trailer axle. You really want the trailer to ride level when loaded to even out the axle loadings.

I also thought about the gooseneck ball that is 4"s higher that normal, raise the trailer up a lil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Junior M
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
We did some welding on our gooseneck and actually made the neck taller so it would clear the bed.. back in the day when dad was in business.