PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix this...

jbell36
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
i am having a few issues with a Home Owners Association, there is a strip up front that is 6' wide and 115' long...we do full maintenance on this account...we mow at 4", and the spray heads are 4", so even when the grass has just been cut some of the spray heads don't quite reach over the grass for adequate coverage...how would you guys go about fixing this issue?

i will add the spray heads are just over 8' apart and have regular 10' 180's for nozzles...was this installed correctly? i would think putting in side strip sprays would have been the way to go...i ask because i don't have a lot of experience with side strip sprays and would like to have your input, especially on this specific situation...

irritation
07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Narrow strips are tough to cover and need rectangular head spacing. Most seem to go the cheap route with a single row. Deal with it unless they willing to pay to do it right.

jbell36
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
irritation, how would you have designed it in the first place?

irritation
07-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Depends, I would have to see the site.

bcg
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
The first thing you can do is replace the 4" pops with 6", that will make a huge difference. If they've only got one row of sprays, I'd probably leave the 10H on there but if there is a row on each side of the strip, I'd switch them to 8H to cut down on the over spray some. There really isn't an SST nozzle that will cover a 6' wide strip. Just on the measurements, I'd have probably put in 2 rows with 5Q/5H nozzles on them. Coverage in the middle wouldn't have been perfect but it wouldn't have been bad either.

Wet_Boots
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
you could always cut at 3 inches :p

KrayzKajun
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
you could always cut at 3 inches :p

Perfect response from a non grass cutter. Good job boots. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I agree with the 6" head, strip sprays are a pain, and I've had not much luck with them. RB does make 8 FLT low-angle nozzle with matched precipitation that would be worth a look at. :)

Kiril
07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
The first thing you can do is replace the 4" pops with 6", that will make a huge difference. If they've only got one row of sprays, I'd probably leave the 10H on there but if there is a row on each side of the strip, I'd switch them to 8H to cut down on the over spray some. There really isn't an SST nozzle that will cover a 6' wide strip. Just on the measurements, I'd have probably put in 2 rows with 5Q/5H nozzles on them. Coverage in the middle wouldn't have been perfect but it wouldn't have been bad either.

Agree on the 6" pops ... however there is a strip nozzle that will cover 6 feet and cover it well if you have the pressure to work with ..... the MPRotator MPLCS515, MPRCS515, MPSS530

jbell36
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Good to hear...my first thought was definitely replace with a 6"...but rather than digging every head up my supplier suggested replacing with the Rain Pro telescoping 6" pops with a 4" body to go right into place where the old 4" pops were...they will fit rain bird and hunter nozzles so I was thinking 8' nozzles, just don't know if those will reach far enough to the street in between heads...what do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
my supplier suggested replacing with the Rain Pro telescoping 6" pops with a 4" body to go right into place where the old 4" pops were...they will fit rain bird and hunter nozzles so I was thinking 8' nozzles

Never heard of that, got a link?

the irrigator
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
www.rainproco.com

bcg
07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Agree on the 6" pops ... however there is a strip nozzle that will cover 6 feet and cover it well if you have the pressure to work with ..... the MPRotator MPLCS515, MPRCS515, MPSS530

I honestly didn't even consider those. I wasn't overly impressed with them the one time I used them but I'm really not overly impressed with any rotator at less than 20'. If they could be guaranteed proper pressure, they'd probably be a good choice.

Mike Leary
07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
www.rainproco.com

Interesting, I wonder if any of you guys have any in service? My b.s. detector just went off, though.

mrsteve
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Interesting, I wonder if any of you guys have any in service? My b.s. detector just went off, though.
I've put the 6" in a 1804 body and the 13" in a 1806 body. It would be a last resort in my opinion. Sealing can be a problem as well as holding the index (arc). If your 4" is setting on a concrete floor so you can't go any deeper and still have the top at grade I would give them a try. You can do it pretty quick versus digging up every head.