PDA

View Full Version : Hunter ACC, no time displayed when trying to.program station run times

LwnmwrMan22
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
At the local school district, they are running a Hunter ACC.

Coaches and other keep hitting the breaker to turn off the system if the irrigation is running on their field
The other nght they were apparently still trying to play baseball at 11 pm, as that is the natural grass field.with lights (football field is turf).

Now the controller isn't working, water has been off to the entire complex for over a week (custodians gone over the 4th) and I was called in to get the system running.

When trying to change the station run times, there is no time listed, only the flashing cursor. I can move the cursor around the screen, but I cannot get a time to appear in the hour, minute or second slot when I try to program a number.

I also cannot get the system to manually operate, either a program or a single station.

I set it up to run manually, to the controller to run, and ..........

Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

LwnmwrMan22
07-12-2012, 08:27 AM
And yes, I am a noob at the larger commercial type systems. We have maintained the turf at the schools for 10 years.

Their previous irrigation company takes 3 weeks to make a service call.

We are trying to learn on the fly, which can be dangerous, I know.

I have narrowed it down to a decoder issue. The "module/line activity" is solid red, there is no green at all under "line status".
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
07-12-2012, 08:34 AM
isn't there a reset button on the back of the face plate?

also, make sure you are on the "program" you need to be on...not to insult your intelligence but this can be looked past...those acc controllers have ABCD for programs, i would assume you need program A...you have probably done this and all, i just wanna make sure, it does happen...

LwnmwrMan22
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
I did go through the programs.

I did not hit reset, as I didn't want to reprogram this clock again.

Also, about the decoder. If I hit reset, will that reset the decoder.

Wet_Boots
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
You might have a damaged decoder.

The first thing you should do, is make a hard copy of the existing program(s).

LwnmwrMan22
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
You might have a damaged decoder.

The first thing you should do, is make a hard copy of the existing program(s).

I've got a hard copy of the existing programs, zones and run times, both regulars and SSGs.

I've been trying to locate info online for the decoder, but it seems as though it's something that Hunter doesn't have alot of info for.

It's a good day to do this, I'm waiting for a new door to be delivered for the cab of my Kubota M6040 that I broke the other day. :cry:

I can sit on the computer and not feel like I'm wasting a day away.

I did find where I should be able to do an "easy retrieve" on the controller. I talked with my good friend I've been learning irrigation under and he's leaning towards doing a reset, especially when it comes to the fact that the controller isn't working when trying to do a program of the station run time.

My concern is that the decoder is the part that is messing up the controller. Get the decoder working and the controller might work, or is it the other way around?

Wet_Boots
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
You might also look into finding another way for the idiots out there to interrupt watering, other than a circuit breaker.

Diagnosing faulty decoders requires a super-sensitive clamp-around ammeter, often called a "leakage meter"

jbell36
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Good thing you didn't hit reset just yet...I though we were talking about the Icc, not Acc...you guys started talking about decoders then I realized this is a 2 wire system...this one is over my head, as a last resort I would try the reset
Posted via Mobile Device

LwnmwrMan22
07-12-2012, 12:17 PM
You might also look into finding another way for the idiots out there to interrupt watering, other than a circuit breaker.

Diagnosing faulty decoders requires a super-sensitive clamp-around ammeter, often called a "leakage meter"

Yes, the school has already changed the locks on the breaker as well as the gate where the controller is.

There have been times when people have turned the controller off, times when they have gone and turned the water off at the well (inside the same gated area as the controller) and now where they have hit the breaker for the well itself.

1idejim
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM

http://www.hunterindustries.com/product/controllers/acc

http://armadatech.com/all-products

http://www.greenlee.com/products/TESTER%2540c-GROUND-ROD-(CALIBRATED).html

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243479&d=1332598625

get a LCM and read the manual (troubleshooting decoders) and you are on your way. first time won't be fun but you'll learn alot.

equally important is to read this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4359555#post4359555 hunter tek geek is the greatest example of a REP, educator and fellow technician

LwnmwrMan22
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Well...... here's what we found out. Some will laugh, others will cry.

I was on the phone with Hunter tech support, butting up to their time to quit, 4 pm pac. time.

They had me hit the reset on the face of the controller, nothing.

They had me pull the fuse, then pull the decoder module. Didn't smell burned, contacts all looked new.

I went to put the fuse back in, nothing. No power, nothing.

I only have keys to the irrigation controls, no keys for buildings, etc.

Went back over this morning, no power to the controller, showed the head custodian. We reset the breaker that whomever kicked off last week, still no power.

Traced power lines to an electrical panel near the clock, the irrigation controller is plugged into a GFI outlet. Reset the outlet, plugged the controller in, controller works.

I have a green light for line activity, and so far everything is working.

I have it set to run through all of the zones and will go back and check it tomorrow morning, make sure everything checks out.

If I have a bad decoder, it should trip this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers that it was just screwed up when whomever shut off the breaker.

Mike Leary
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Traced power lines to an electrical panel near the clock, the irrigation controller is plugged into a GFI outlet. Reset the outlet, plugged the controller in, controller works.

First thing you should have done was put your VOM on the input side.We've had quite a few discussions about GFI-protected circuits, I don't like them for your reason alone. It seems, that the first thing to do on a dead clock, after checking with the VOM, is to locate where the damn GFI is.:cry:

irritation
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
First thing you should have done was put your VOM on the input side.We've had quite a few discussions about GFI-protected circuits, I don't like them for your reason alone. It seems, that the first thing to do on a dead clock, after checking with the VOM, is to locate where the damn GFI is.:cry:

Yea, that's plain stupid to call tech support and not even know you don't have power to the clock. Not sure if I should laugh or cry? :laugh::cry:

DanaMac
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Not sure if I should laugh or cry? :laugh::cry:

Or :wall:wall

1idejim
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh color us stupid!!!
no one guessed incoming power. prolly due to the power interruptus situation you posted. shoulda seen it coming.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
07-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Good thing you didn't hit reset just yet...I though we were talking about the Icc, not Acc...you guys started talking about decoders then I realized this is a 2 wire system...this one is over my head, as a last resort I would try the reset
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah, i dont know those controllers either, lol

LwnmwrMan22
07-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Yea, that's plain stupid to call tech support and not even know you don't have power to the clock. Not sure if I should laugh or cry? :laugh::cry:

I had power, called tech support. They told me to pull the fuse and then pull the decoder module.

I was then told to put the fuse back in, but that's when I had no power. It was after 4 pm Hunter's, time, 6 pm my time and I had no other keys available to me to gain access to the electrical panel at the well/pump.

I went back the next day when the custodians would be available to give me access, and that's when I found the GFI.

I said some would laugh, some would cry because OF the posts about GFIs.

I'm not going to call tech support and say "hey, um..... do you know how to turn this controller on?". Just cause I'm a noob doesn't mean I've never slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

1idejim
07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I had power, called tech support. They told me to pull the fuse and then pull the decoder module.

I was then told to put the fuse back in, but that's when I had no power. It was after 4 pm Hunter's, time, 6 pm my time and I had no other keys available to me to gain access to the electrical panel at the well/pump.

I went back the next day when the custodians would be available to give me access, and that's when I found the GFI.

I said some would laugh, some would cry because OF the posts about GFIs.

I'm not going to call tech support and say "hey, um..... do you know how to turn this controller on?". Just cause I'm a noob doesn't mean I've never slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

I've never slept at a holiday inn express. what's it like?
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
07-15-2012, 01:42 PM
like Motel 6, without the luxury