PDA

View Full Version : Home owner inadvertently kills 2.5 acre lawn

avguy
07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
The title says it all.......

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/07/11/pkg-mn-lawn-accidentally-killed.kare

Skipster
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/07/11/pkg-mn-lawn-accidentally-killed.kare

There could be no better endorsement for professional applicators than this video!

kbrashears
07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Read the directions. Just like your teacher taught you in school.

Everyone is in such a rush they don't slow down to do a proper job. Ridiculous.

Busa Dave
07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Fact----YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID!!! Idiot!!!!

Duekster
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
The EPA lable is to blame...... 8 pages if info.... it is too complex. :D

Grasssales2001
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I wonder if the EPA will fine him for violating label directions.:laugh:

JB1
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
its not his fault, its somebody elses fault.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
At the very least, these consumer products should be locked away and a trained professional should advise the HO's thus sharing some of the liability.

TriCountyLawn
07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
So thats what most lawns look like here anyways ...haha. And if they raised that amount with the concert. Then move the venue ...duh duh duh.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I sent this story to someone at the EPA and he forwarded it to a private organization that has some pull in the industry.

grandview (2006)
07-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice stripes in the lawn.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee is where the vid / story was sent.

Cadzilla
07-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I sent this story to someone at the EPA and he forwarded it to a private organization that has some pull in the industry.

Why...........

gulfjoe
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I sympathize with the guy as a HO DIY kinda guy, but I still read the directions on everything then I make sure I understand them. I ask many diffrent sources about a product I may use. Sometimes I may ask to many questions.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Why...........

Because these types of products likely should not even be a DYI type product and if they are a DYI product they should have an experianced consultant selling them.

I consult with the EPA all the time in this regard. They give me info, I give them feed back. I help them develop training programs.

Skipster
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Because these types of products likely should not even be a DYI type product and if they are a DYI product they should have an experianced consultant selling them.

I consult with the EPA all the time in this regard. They give me info, I give them feed back. I help them develop training programs.

I think this is kind of a slippery slope. In most years, I might agree with it, since it highlights how products are more likely to be misused by homeowners than professional applicators.

However, with the especially liberal leanings of the Obama EPA, I fear they might want to place more restrictions on ALL applicators, not just homeowners.

Already, EPA has declared there to be no difference between homeowner applications and professional applications for MSMA, triazines (atrazine and simazine), and phenoxy herbicides (2,4-D, MCPA, MCPP). So, now we have lost MSMA and are seeing severe restrictions on triazines and phenoxies, despite our claims that off-target movement and injury are less likely to happen with professional applications than homeowner applications.

Again, I agree with you that this should be used to highlight the benefit of professionals making the applications, but with several important herbicides in the recent past, EPA has used these examples to restrict the entire industry.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
I think this is kind of a slippery slope. In most years, I might agree with it, since it highlights how products are more likely to be misused by homeowners than professional applicators.

However, with the especially liberal leanings of the Obama EPA, I fear they might want to place more restrictions on ALL applicators, not just homeowners.

Already, EPA has declared there to be no difference between homeowner applications and professional applications for MSMA, triazines (atrazine and simazine), and phenoxy herbicides (2,4-D, MCPA, MCPP). So, now we have lost MSMA and are seeing severe restrictions on triazines and phenoxies, despite our claims that off-target movement and injury are less likely to happen with professional applications than homeowner applications.

Again, I agree with you that this should be used to highlight the benefit of professionals making the applications, but with several important herbicides in the recent past, EPA has used these examples to restrict the entire industry.

The individual that is on the PPDC is an advocate for our industry. Most reasons for Pesticides for coming off the market are because of off target use / abuse. Or there are clearly safer and just as effective products on the market.

Again this perhaps falls into the area, much like some of my other recent post. We as professionals need to consider joining our industry trade groups.

I am not a member of this organization but I use it as an example because they are national. Perhaps I should take my own advise and join this in addition to my state associations.

http://www.landcarenetwork.org/legislative/position.cfm

In particular -

http://www.landcarenetwork.org/legislative/EPA_WaterSense.pdf

phasthound
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I agree that homeowners should be restricted more than the professionals.
However, the manufacturer's lobbyists work hard to prevent the implementation of such laws & regulations. The political leanings of any administration do come into play. The EPA has had 2 well respected Administrators from New Jersey. Christie Whitman choose to resign rather than follow the non-scientific approach of the Bush Administration. Lisa Jackson earned respect from both business and environmental groups during her stint as head of NJ DEP.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
A new reports is finding the same thing as earlier reports and finding in urban areas.

Contamination and toxicity in stream sediments caused by pyrethroid insecticides generally increased with the degree of urbanization in seven metropolitan areas across the U.S, according to a new U.S. Geological Survey study.
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3182

ProMo
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
DIRECTIONS FOR USE

It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner that is inconsistent with
its labeling. READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. USE STRICTLY
IN ACCORDANCE WITH LABEL PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS AND DIRECTIONS.
Stay off treated areas until sprays have dried. Precautions should be taken to prevent
tracking product after application onto desirable grasses.
SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING.
GENERAL INFORMATION

WHERE TO USE

Apply this product to both established weeds and weed-prone areas where weeds have not yet emerged:
• on cracks an crevices in driveways, sidewalks, walkways, and patios
• along fences, foundations, curbs, retaining walls, and edges of lawns
• around the base or in mulched beds of well-established (at least 6 months old) plants, shrubs, or tree
• on gravel areas

USE PRECAUTIONS

• Do not spray desirable plants.
• Do not use in lawns or for lawn renovations as this product prevents desirable grass establishment.

Ric
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
its not his fault, its somebody elses fault.

Couldn't be the fault of the Garden Center People either. After all why would they not recommend a Product who main Active Ingredient was Glyphosate to kill weeds. Especially at @ $ 35.00 a quart. :dizzy::hammerhead:

Talk about Misinformation. IMHO grass can be replanted or sodded. The Pre-emerge barrier can be broken with a good slit seeder. A plow of Rototiller would be better, But it can be done.

phasthound
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
A new reports is finding the same thing as earlier reports and finding in urban areas.

Contamination and toxicity in stream sediments caused by pyrethroid insecticides generally increased with the degree of urbanization in seven metropolitan areas across the U.S, according to a new U.S. Geological Survey study.
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3182

I think the message to take home is.... anything that is used too much will have unintended consequences.

RigglePLC
07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
You raise a good question, Ric! How soon can you lay sod after a preemergent has been used?

This is the product he used. "Weed and grass killer" is is rather small print. There are four type sizes that are larger on the front of the bottle. Why would the government EPA allow this misleading label? Product no longer appears on Fertilome's website--so maybe it is discontinued. Contains prodiamine.
http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/double-play-grass-and-weed-control.aspx

http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/msds/double-play-label.pdf

If I had a hardware store, I would drop this supplier and quick. And maybe train my employees just a bit more. Scotts for instance has store employees attend a training seminar. But discount stores do not participate.

Anybody willing to try it? Lay some sod on grass that has been treated with proidamine (or prodiamine and glypohosate)--tell us --did it take or not?

Actually maybe I am doing that, my lawn was treated with Dimension before the sod experiment that I have been talking about in the last few weeks. Sod looks OK, but I am not sure if it is rooting down normally. Nothing for comparison. My bad.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Couldn't be the fault of the Garden Center People either. After all why would they not recommend a Product who main Active Ingredient was Glyphosate to kill weeds. Especially at @ $ 35.00 a quart. :dizzy::hammerhead:

Talk about Misinformation. IMHO grass can be replanted or sodded. The Pre-emerge barrier can be broken with a good slit seeder. A plow of Rototiller would be better, But it can be done.

Much less of sob story your way.

Duekster
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
You raise a good question, Ric! How soon can you lay sod after a preemergent has been used?

This is the product he used. "Weed and grass killer" is is rather small print. There are four type sizes that are larger on the front of the bottle. Why would the government EPA allow this misleading label? Product no longer appears on Fertilome's website--so maybe it is discontinued. Contains prodiamine.
http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/double-play-grass-and-weed-control.aspx

http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/msds/double-play-label.pdf

If I had a hardware store, I would drop this supplier and quick. And maybe train my employees just a bit more. Scotts for instance has store employees attend a training seminar. But discount stores do not participate.

Anybody willing to try it? Lay some sod on grass that has been treated with proidamine (or prodiamine and glypohosate)--tell us --did it take or not?

Actually maybe I am doing that, my lawn was treated with Dimension before the sod experiment that I have been talking about in the last few weeks. Sod looks OK, but I am not sure if it is rooting down normally. Nothing for comparison. My bad.

I was told by my EPA contact that Scott's got nailed for a bad label about 5 years ago. He said they wanted to work off the fine some how. I told them to make it more clear that Weed and Feed should be applied to wet grass and to train store personel more. :cool2:

Ric
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I was told by my EPA contact that Scott's got nailed for a bad label about 5 years ago. He said they wanted to work off the fine some how. I told them to make it more clear that Weed and Feed should be applied to wet grass and to train store personel more. :cool2:

Scott's advertising is the worst Lies of all the Chemical Companies. Talk about HYPE!! 32-2-3 might as well be 46-0-0 but cost 10 times more than urea. Their once a year Pest Control is nothing more than Bifenthrin that only has a 30 day residual. It just blows my mind at the lies that company tells the Public in advertisements.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Scott's advertising is the worst Lies of all the Chemical Companies. Talk about HYPE!! 32-2-3 might as well be 46-0-0 but cost 10 times more than urea. Their once a year Pest Control is nothing more than Bifenthrin that only has a 30 day residual. It just blows my mind at the lies that company tells the Public in advertisements.

Not a big fan myself. I have seen some DYI yards that are very green, must be laying the wood to it based on a bad label.

Cadzilla
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Have you ever mentioned to them how dangerous Gasoline is?

I always found it weird that just anyone can walk in and buy a gallon of such a flammable substance.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Have you ever mentioned to them how dangerous Gasoline is?

I always found it weird that just anyone can walk in and buy a gallon of such a flammable substance.

Have you noticed? They are trying to get rid of Gasoline as quickly as possible already.

HOPCONE
07-13-2012, 11:56 AM
this is why our society is a pile of turds. this guy bought a product, got some info from a 8.00 an hour hardware store employee, and didnt even look at the label.if you asked a hardware store employee how to build a deck, and it fell down, is he at fault?NO, because he is there to tell you what isle the lag bolts are in, not give advice about which chemicals to spray/build decks.this homeowner is at fault, not the hardware store, not fertilome.complete lack of personal accountability.

Chilehead
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
It is in no way the fault of the chemical manufacturer. It is partly the fault of the applicator, and partly the fault of the salesman at the store where the chemical was purchased.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
clearly the ho is at fault. You would not get that from this boo hoo story however. However, I think that the retail stores if they are going to carry the material should have someone trained to advise the DYI guy.

They clearly knew enough to sell him 5 bottles.

clydebusa
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Man it works I want some of that!

Yatt
07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
At least he got the stuff on relatively well with only missing a few spots.:cool2:

avguy
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
However, I think that the retail stores if they are going to carry the material should have someone trained to advise the DYI guy.
They clearly knew enough to sell him 5 bottles.

Unfortunately too many HO (myself included years ago) don't "need " any information because we can figure it out on our own.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately too many HO (myself included years ago) don't "need " any information because we can figure it out on our own.

That is fine but the qualified help should be there for anything but the most simple Gels, Baits and RTU's.

avguy
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
That is fine but the qualified help should be there for anything but the most simple Gels, Baits and RTU's.

Agreed but again the qualified help is of little use if the HO wishes to be ignorant and neither ask for nor take the advice given.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Agreed but again the qualified help is of little use if the HO wishes to be ignorant and neither ask for nor take the advice given.

Lock it up in the garden center.

shovelracer
07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I am thoroughly disgusted that this clip even attempted to make this issue look like anyone but the end user was at fault.

When we bought my wifes VW the guy was literally bouncing on the window sill of an open front door. His point was that the car was made strong and designed to go 100MPH on the Autobahn so it must be safe for American driving. Now if I took his bad advice and drove 100MPH is he somehow responsible. Maybe VW is for making a car that is capable of exceeding the speed limit. Absolutely not, it is our responsibility to read the instruction manual and know the local driving laws to determine that driving at 100MPH could be a danger to myself and others as well as against the law.

If one of us did this could you even imagine the repercussion?

avguy
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Lock it up in the garden center.

Lol........the home owner?

turf hokie
07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
as a former sales guy, the only way this doesnt fall completely on the end user is if the sales guy physically wrote something on the bottle or label that could be seen as over riding the actual label. It is up to the end user to make sure they are using the product they purchased properly.....

I cant count the number of times I have been told to apply something that was not what the label said. I dont care how big or small the print is, if you dont get an answer from the label, look again, it is there......

if the fund raiser is that profitable and important, move venues...or turn over the soil and seed or sod...hell it's already dead...what difference does it make if it breaks when you walk on it...will green grass make people dig deeper into their pockets????and brown grass will make the fund raiser a no good?.....

this is just plain stupid and I cant beleive it got air time and this many posts on here....and worse yet I am participating.....

cgaengineer
07-13-2012, 08:14 PM
He needs to work for TruGreen...
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
as a former sales guy, the only way this doesnt fall completely on the end user is if the sales guy physically wrote something on the bottle or label that could be seen as over riding the actual label. It is up to the end user to make sure they are using the product they purchased properly.....

I cant count the number of times I have been told to apply something that was not what the label said. I dont care how big or small the print is, if you dont get an answer from the label, look again, it is there......

if the fund raiser is that profitable and important, move venues...or turn over the soil and seed or sod...hell it's already dead...what difference does it make if it breaks when you walk on it...will green grass make people dig deeper into their pockets????and brown grass will make the fund raiser a no good?.....

this is just plain stupid and I cant beleive it got air time and this many posts on here....and worse yet I am participating.....

It got air time so that people will feel sorry for him and dig deeper in their pockets. Too stupid to read a label, but smart enough to use it to his advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Lol........the home owner?

Better than what Canada did.

turf hokie
07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
It got air time so that people will feel sorry for him and dig deeper in their pockets. Too stupid to read a label, but smart enough to use it to his advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device

good point......

Ric
07-13-2012, 09:04 PM

I have actually seen University PhD give Illegal or Improper advice that resulted in a Large Fine on a Golf Course. It is the END USER'S responsibility to read and follow the label regardless of who tells him what. The Label is the Law and homeowner are just as responsible as the Biggest CPO. IMHO this home own is trying to work the system. Chances are He might get some help from those who don't know any better. But those of us in the know, realize he is just telling the world he messed up big time.

Duekster
07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
General law is the owner is ultimately the one.

lawncuttinfoo
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Yes it's his fault, but the companies make the labels confusing for a reason, it sells product. Ortho's gly product used to be packaged just like the weed b gone.
Most HO spot spray, and when it kills a whole spot, they think yea, it killed the weed. Most don't know that selective herbicides exist.
I have had a customer for 6 years who sprays gly on his yard at least every other week. I told him he should buy selective herbicide or let me kill them and he always says "it says it kills weeds"

I still can't figure out why someone told him that sod will die. Either they think gly kills roots or they are a throw and go sod company, no prep, (are there any other types these days?)
Does not speak well for the landscapers around here (MN)

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Yes it's his fault, but the companies make the labels confusing for a reason, it sells product. Ortho's gly product used to be packaged just like the weed b gone.
Most HO spot spray, and when it kills a whole spot, they think yea, it killed the weed. Most don't know that selective herbicides exist.
I have had a customer for 6 years who sprays gly on his yard at least every other week. I told him he should buy selective herbicide or let me kill them and he always says "it says it kills weeds"

I still can't figure out why someone told him that sod will die. Either they think gly kills roots or they are a throw and go sod company, no prep, (are there any other types these days?)
Does not speak well for the landscapers around here (MN)

If the product contains prodiamine it will have an effect on the rooting of new sod...prodiamine and other pre's are root pruning herbicides...their purpose is to smoke the little feeder roots that pop out of seeds, sod would be no different but whether it could grow fast enough to out compete the prodiamine I don't know.

If I had this fellow as a customer and know what I know about this particular lawn I would not install sod if I was a sod company, not right now anyway.

If you don't think prodiamine has an effect on grass I'd be glad to send you a picture where some leaked out of my truck from a leaking hose one night. It certainly has caused the grass some problems...and my particular grass is one of the toughest grasses...Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeachysLawn
07-14-2012, 08:31 AM
So, call me OCD, but what happened to the other 1.5 acres? :laugh:

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 08:34 AM
So, call me OCD, but what happened to the other 1.5 acres? :laugh:

You know? That's a good point! In fact 40k ain't even an acre!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 08:38 AM
At least he got the stuff on relatively well with only missing a few spots.:cool2:

What he didn't smoke...it'll fill in! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
He could paint it or just rent some artificial turf for his party.

Think Green
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
I have not gone back to read all responses as I often do, so pity me then!!

I will try to make this short!
All labels is misleading and will continue to be so unless something is done to alter the issue. With more stringent rules and guidelines being the blame, the labels will continue to become longer and the font becoming smaller. God Bless all that can honestly sit and read font smaller than a 1 with ease. God Bless anyone that can read the label when it is printed with all this flashy ink that contrasts and is often blurred. How about those labels that stick together when you peel off that ridiculous sticky tape. It doesn't work well does it? I will step up and advocate to anyone who has trouble with illegible information. Not everyone goes online to view the MSDS and Label in a larger print. The majority of consumer's who do these types of application's is older and do not troll the web. So, lets give them some slack.
I agree with the home owner not following directions but he trusted someone to advise him on a product to do the job. TRUSTED!!
TRUSTED??
We all should watch, learn,listen, and implement the education from this thread. Don't waste your time in trying to educate the customer.......most don't understand anyway. Watch your back and pay close attention to what you are doing and prevent mistakes. Educate your employees.................if it is possible, they are the general public also.
I will not name certain companies that has illegible labels on this forum as we have seen them in these store's so let this be another tool for them to educate their advertising departments. Keep on fooling the general public thus making is harder for the pro to get the products they need. Stop offering these products to the general public and all will be well.

DLCS
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
WHY? Why? Would you not read the label? Typical homeowner who believes more is better and I'm too good to read and follow labels. Then go on cnn and cry and whine. Try and pick up all thge liberal bleeding hearts by saying you can't have your fundraiser now because your lawn is dead and he is worried about mud. Why can't he have it somewhere else? Oh wait he wants to show off his big home sitting in the background and his nice beautiful lawn. he needs to put on some big boy pants and admit he made a mistake. Then find somewhere else to have his fundraiser. You wouldn't take any medication would you without reading the label would you?

Ric
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
WHY? Why? Would you not read the label? Typical homeowner who believes more is better and I'm too good to read and follow labels. Then go on cnn and cry and whine. Try and pick up all thge liberal bleeding hearts by saying you can't have your fundraiser now because your lawn is dead and he is worried about mud. Why can't he have it somewhere else? Oh wait he wants to show off his big home sitting in the background and his nice beautiful lawn. he needs to put on some big boy pants and admit he made a mistake. Then find somewhere else to have his fundraiser. You wouldn't take any medication would you without reading the label would you?

Being practical this home owner has a moral complain, But not a legal one. How many of us buy something bring it home and put it together and NEVER LOOK AT THE DIRECTIONS????? I am very guilty and only look at the directions after something doesn't work the first time.

Yes he must legally follow the label. But Human nature being what it is, how many people actually read the label. How many of us know Glyphosate (Roundup) label has been changed and have read the NEW LABEL??? The homeowner does have a point and Ferti lome must agree or they wouldn't of taken it off their website. "Double Play" should have been named ""Double Play Total Extended Kill". This product is a copy of Monsanto's "Roundup Extend" in the fact it has a Pre Emerge added.

BTW This isn't an uncommon thing. Here in Tropical South Florida Tractor Supply and Home Cheapo both sell ESTER 3 Way herbicide. Talk about Smoke a warm season Lawn, Ester 3 Way will sure do the job.

Once again an excellent reason to restrict Pesticides to Certified People only.

Duekster
07-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Being practical this home owner has a moral complain, But not a legal one. How many of us buy something bring it home and put it together and NEVER LOOK AT THE DIRECTIONS????? I am very guilty and only look at the directions after something doesn't work the first time.

Yes he must legally follow the label. But Human nature being what it is, how many people actually read the label. How many of us know Glyphosate (Roundup) label has been changed and have read the NEW LABEL??? The homeowner does have a point and Ferti lome must agree or they wouldn't of taken it off their website. "Double Play" should have been named ""Double Play Total Extended Kill". This product is a copy of Monsanto's "Roundup Extend" in the fact it has a Pre Emerge added.

BTW This isn't an uncommon thing. Here in Tropical South Florida Tractor Supply and Home Cheapo both sell ESTER 3 Way herbicide. Talk about Smoke a warm season Lawn, Ester 3 Way will sure do the job.

Once again an excellent reason to restrict Pesticides to Certified People only.

I agree 95%. Homeowners should be able to buy some gels, baits and RTU's with simple lables.

Think Green
07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I was in Ace Hardware back in March of this year. Trolling through the insecticide department......WOW!! What did my wondering eyes should appear--but an entire case of 10 oz. bottles of Cyonara! Clearly on the front of the label.....smack dab on the front bottle. " FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL APPLICATOR'S ONLY!" Right there in plain sight for the untrained homeowner to purchase, take home, improperly mix and make everyone sick. However, at 35.00 a bottle I don't think it will disappear off the shelf too quickly but the idea is evident. I asked the floor manager about the product and its labeling. He told me that this stuff came to the store by mistake and they can't return it. It will be sold!!!!!!!!!

Duekster
07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I was in Ace Hardware back in March of this year. Trolling through the insecticide department......WOW!! What did my wondering eyes should appear--but an entire case of 10 oz. bottles of Cyonara! Clearly on the front of the label.....smack dab on the front bottle. " FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL APPLICATOR'S ONLY!" Right there in plain sight for the untrained homeowner to purchase, take home, improperly mix and make everyone sick. However, at 35.00 a bottle I don't think it will disappear off the shelf too quickly but the idea is evident. I asked the floor manager about the product and its labeling. He told me that this stuff came to the store by mistake and they can't return it. It will be sold!!!!!!!!!

BS... It can be returned.... they can not legally sell it.

Cadzilla
07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
This reminds me of the scene in Josey Wales where Lone Watie walks up to the dry goods store as that pitchman is selling the snake oil and asks Lone if he would drink it and he asks whats in it and the guy says..."why various things I'm not sure....I'm just the salesman..."

lol

OnPointLandscaping
07-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Day one of lawn care. RTFL.

RodneyK
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd be pissed if I were him, he had quite a few misses. I wonder if he will go back and "treat" the misses...

greendoctor
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Good thing prodiamine is easily diminished by deep tillage. Once the treated layer is turned under, a label rate application is neutralized. It would turn out differently if the garden center sold him Velpar, Hyvar or Pramitol to "kill all of the weeds".

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe he will hire me to paint it...
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Anyone that would spray a combination of glyphosate and prodiamine over desirable turf does not strike me as one knowing when to utilize professional help.

jvanvliet
07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
He missed some spots :p

Why don't I feel sorry for him?

nik
07-23-2012, 07:22 PM

EPA and nearly all states have said the " FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL APPLICATOR'S ONLY!" is not enforceable and is a marketing statement. VPG makes Fert*i*lome and nearly its entire product line is packaged with the same red/yellow colors, type. etc. Has been for 25+ years.
Confusing to the avg person, probably. They take a lot of chemistry from the the ag industry and bottle it for the homeowner. Kill-Zall is one of theirs. Real big out here for some reason (cheap)

Reminds me of what I saw/heard at the local irrigation/landscape supply store in town. Was BSing with the sales folks. Landscape truck pulls up buys walks in. Grabs some PVC fittings and a 2,4D mix product. He puts it on the counter and asks the sales guy if it is too hot to spray that today. Temps were in the low 90s. Sales guy tells him to read the label. Guy says "I'm too damn busy to read the Fu%$#&g label."