PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new quad setup - Dumptruck

Cornell
07-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Our Ford L9000 Dump is getting to the point where the yearly repair/maintenance costs are really getting up there so I am looking for a possible replacement.

I found these 3 trucks and am wondering why they are still around.... bad economy? Or the fact that the have the smaller sized engines instead of the usual C13 Cat or similar Cummins?

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=14854

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=14855

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=12686

I really like these trucks and the fact that they are "new" I priced out a similar 2012 and wow is all I can say.

Is the smaller motor something to be concerned with and possibly why they have been sitting for 4 years?

We have a Triple axle T50 trailer that we move our case CX160 and Doosan DX180LC around on.... is it going to struggle pulling these 40k pound machines around?

I really hate having underpowered equipment.

Just looking for some insight.

knox gsl
07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
C9 cat is way to small. It needs a C13 but a C15 if you like a little extra. I cant believe a dealership even took these on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
07-13-2012, 12:41 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Seems like they are stuck with them now.

dozerman21
07-13-2012, 06:16 AM
I have a 370hp ISM in my truck, and I pull around 43K lbs. everyday with the combined low boy and equipment weight. We don't have a lot of hills, but it does just fine, and that motor is good on fuel. Having said that, I'm a hp junkie so I would love to have an ISX, but I needed a truck in a pinch and this was one that I could afford so I jumped on it.

toomuchtime
07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Motor is way to small for those trucks. ISM is a good motor for a tandem axle truck but not for a quad. I have two tandem axle dumps one with a big cam 400 the other is c13 425 both with 13spds I would look for this combo as minimum. For a dirt truck I would not want anything else but a 13 speed.

Cornell
07-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Guess I am going to keep looking then haha

ksss
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I have a 460 hp Mack with an 18 speed and pulling a triaxle with my 160 excavator at 6000 + feet and I would not want any less of a truck. You dont have the alt. issues we have here but I would get more hp as well. A smaller displacement engine is only efficient with lighter loads, when you start running them at max capacity the fuel use often surpasses a larger displacement engine with the same load.

Dirtman2007
07-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Our Ford L9000 Dump is getting to the point where the yearly repair/maintenance costs are really getting up there so I am looking for a possible replacement.

I found these 3 trucks and am wondering why they are still around.... bad economy? Or the fact that the have the smaller sized engines instead of the usual C13 Cat or similar Cummins?

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=14854

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=14855

http://www.usedtrucksinusa.com/details.php?MID=12686

I really like these trucks and the fact that they are "new" I priced out a similar 2012 and wow is all I can say.

Is the smaller motor something to be concerned with and possibly why they have been sitting for 4 years?

We have a Triple axle T50 trailer that we move our case CX160 and Doosan DX180LC around on.... is it going to struggle pulling these 40k pound machines around?

I really hate having underpowered equipment.

Just looking for some insight.

all those trucks are at my local Cooper KW dealer lol.

Cornell
07-13-2012, 11:06 PM
all those trucks are at my local Cooper KW dealer lol.

I know!

I love your KW and they are so pretty lol. I'm just pissed they have those small ass motors.

stuvecorp
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Saw some older KW quad's on Craigslist over the winter that I liked but nothing good now. There is some nice 06 Mack Granite's floating around that are my Quad of the Month.

Dirtman2007
07-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I know!

I love your KW and they are so pretty lol. I'm just pissed they have those small ass motors.

yeah but Mines just a 380 HP Cat and it had plenty of power for everything we need

Mowingman
07-15-2012, 01:19 PM
All those trucks show they have 350HP. If that is true, then you have plenty of power there. How fast do you need to get down the road? Heck, not too many years ago, 250 - 290HP was pretty standard for a truck that size. If you were in the mountains, and, if you wanted to run 70MPH loaded, over the road, all day, then you would want a larger engine.
I would say go for it. See how much you can get them down and buy if the price fits your budget.

Cornell
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
yeah but Mines just a 380 HP Cat and it had plenty of power for everything we need

I understand that, its just where it makes the power and if it's going to struggle pulling our DX180LC

We have an International 4400 with a DT466 and its a slow pig. I don't need a rocket ship but when it can't keep speed going up a 2% grade at 60mph with 6 ton in the box I have a problem with that.

All those trucks show they have 350HP. If that is true, then you have plenty of power there. How fast do you need to get down the road? Heck, not too many years ago, 250 - 290HP was pretty standard for a truck that size. If you were in the mountains, and, if you wanted to run 70MPH loaded, over the road, all day, then you would want a larger engine.
I would say go for it. See how much you can get them down and buy if the price fits your budget.

I'm worried how its going to pull our new machine. Our Tri-axle weighs 11,500 and the new machine is tipping almost 44k if I am carrying the Towtem and 48" bucket.

Having something underpowered is annoying when for a few thousand more you could have had a bigger motor, and when you spend 165-170k on something after taxes, you don't want to be disappointed. Just my opinion though.

knox gsl
07-15-2012, 03:04 PM

I would rather have a larger engine even if they are the same HP. The larger one will have more torque and better fuel economy. That smaller engine would work better if it had a better transmission. An 8LL leave a little to be desired when you get into the high side that a 13 or 18 speed will have.

If you can get these trucks at a super bargan price and then go put in a new or reman 2000 or older engine into them you may come out pretty good.