PDA

View Full Version : Concentration Rates vs Mix Rates

Officemgr
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I am an office mgr for a L&T management co in Maryland. By law we are required to keep detailed records of each pesticide application. One requirement is to list the mix rate, total amt applied as well as the concentration rates of the pesticide in question. We have been doing this since 1993 and the "CONCENTRATION RATE" eludes me to this day. What the MDA is looking for in these records is clearly not the concentration rate listed on the MSDS. Where can I find the answer? Thx.

lawncuttinfoo
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
My guess is the concentration of active ingred, in the premixed state.

lawncuttinfoo
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
This would make sence since you did not say they asked for the herbicide EPA #, which if they had that would give them the same info.

Here in MN they ask for the "dosage rate" (your "mix rate") and the EPA #, which gives them tons of info including your "concentration rate"

Officemgr
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the insight. Here in MD we have to include EPA# Rate of Product too. But since the "nutrient managemnt" aspect of the chesapeake bay we are now required to include the concentration rate as well. The total concentration on the label is not sufficient for MDA they want the concentration of each application based on the size of the lawn.

Think Green
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Are they wanting the lbs. per acre of actual product applied???

http://ipm.illinois.edu/weeds/aeai.pdf

This may be what you need!!

RigglePLC
07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I think you are right to begin with. Use the MSDS or better yet, the label. They want the concentration of the ingredient in the jug, usually in pounds per gallon. Or as percent, if its a dry crabgrass product. (They should not use the term "rate".) Most states have similar requirements (and its probably a Federal rule that the states have to comply with.) They would like to be sure you are not going over the yearly limit for a product like 2,4-D, so they can use your records against you.

Since you only use a few products, and since the concentration seldom changes for a specific EPA number...you should only need to type it once...for each product let your computer print it automatically on each record.

Usually if you call the dept of Agriculture or quality they will explain it to you--or send them a sample (fax or email of couse) and ask if your paperwork (in electronic form) is in compliance. I was told that here a "record" doesn't have to be on paper...digital record is fine. Also talk to your chemical dealer. Sometimes at a government office only a few people will even understand the question

I think you need:
EPA number
pounds active ingredient per gallon (Or percent active ingredient if you prefer)
ounces per gallon of water in your mixture
gallons of solution applied at the site.

They want to be sure you are not applying more than 2 pounds 2,4-D per acre per year. You can probably thank some of the big companies for this--they were probably using a three way 3 or 4 times per year.

Skipster
07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the insight. Here in MD we have to include EPA# Rate of Product too. But since the "nutrient managemnt" aspect of the chesapeake bay we are now required to include the concentration rate as well. The total concentration on the label is not sufficient for MDA they want the concentration of each application based on the size of the lawn.

Your best bet is probably to call someone at MDA and ask -- this will get you the answer for sure.

But, what I think they're getting at is the concentration of active ingredient in the final mix. For example, if you have a product with an active ingredient concentration of 50% and you use 1 gallon of product per 50 gallons of spray mix, you have a final concentration of 1% active ingredient.

I have all my trucks carry their "tank contents" sheet, which says what's in the tank, how much, and the final concentration. The Hazmat guys like this because it gives them a better idea of what they're working with than the MSDS in case of a spill.

Remember, the MSDS is for the concentrated product. The MSDS for RoundUp ProMax (just an example here) contains info for a 48.7% glyphosate product. But, when you mix it to label directions, you have a 1% glyphosate product. I've seen hazmat crews freak out at the MSDS, but when they see how little active ingredient is actually in the spray tank, they usually just wash the mix down the street drain with a fire hose.