PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing tank after sterilizer

plc87
07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I am planning on using some sahara DG on some larger gravel and dirt areas. Currently using prodeuce but looking for season long control. Is it crazy to run something as nasty as a sterilizer through my only skid sprayer then switch over regular three way. I would not let the sterilizer dry in it and would triple or quadruple rinse the tank. A guy I know that does a lot of sterilizing said he runs his tank dry on site, runs some water through it washing out the inside while circulating then drains that, fills with some more water and mixes in ammonia again washing out the inside then drains that, then rinses with water again and goes back to his lawn chemicals.

This just scares the crap out of me as i'm still fairly new to this and am scared to death of damaging some lawns. Definitely won't be doing enough to justify buying another skid and not sure how to get enough agitation in an ATV sprayer to keep it suspended and flowing well.

Any kind of advice is much appreciated.

turf hokie
07-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Personally only run sterilizer out of a dedicated backpack....but I would use a neutralizer along with a triple rinse similar to what you buddy does to play it safe.....but I would still be nervous, I wont even run it thru my 50 gallon that I only use roundup in for fear of damaging off target plants...

JB1
07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
i have a dedicated sprayer just for sahara, i don't want to take any chances.

Ric
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
i have a dedicated sprayer just for sahara, i don't want to take any chances.

A $ 125.00 for 12V spot sprayer might be a wise investment if you do large areas or a lot of Sahara. I am very much of an Equipment nut and have many Dedicated sprayers.

RigglePLC
07-13-2012, 11:32 PM
At a minimum...use a tank cleaner product...rinse...(on the same property)and then test it on some of your own flowers on your own property.

Jet agitation is probably adequate you have good flow before you begin spraying and after taking a coffee break; you are right--risky--separate sprayer is better.

Using an electric drill and a paint stirring paddle...can give you extra agitation in that small tank, if you use it periodically. The propeller can really make the solution move.

plc87
07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
At a minimum...use a tank cleaner product...rinse...(on the same property)and then test it on some of your own flowers on your own property.

Jet agitation is probably adequate you have good flow before you begin spraying and after taking a coffee break; you are right--risky--separate sprayer is better.

Using an electric drill and a paint stirring paddle...can give you extra agitation in that small tank, if you use it periodically. The propeller can really make the solution move.

In an atv tank would sahara stay in suspension well enough if I took the lid off and sprayed the spray wand in it every ten minutes or so to agitate it?

RigglePLC
07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Should work--but I am not familiar with the Sahara product--as to whether it settles out rapidly. It would be best if you had an agitation nozzle in the bottom of the tank.

KrayzKajun
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
the sloshing around, from driving the 4wheeler should help with the agitation of the sahara.