PDA

View Full Version : Garden Railway

sealcutter
07-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I did a search and came up with a few but not much info. We received a call from a commercial contract customer for a small garden railway in their court yard. I do collect O gage trains and have a hand laid layout in my basement. But I never did anything like this. About 300' of track in a nice landscaped bed. I did some research today and learned alot about track base and % grading. I wanted to know if any other here have done anything like this before?

Customer wants us to buy everything and install. So far running the numbers on landscape and train material is very costly $$$. They want the theme to be in the mid 50's in Pennsylvania RR. All battery powered trains and some working bldg. lights, 5 switches. 3 hour + going over the area and talking with the facility supervisor on layout and changes to the bed. I asked where the idea came from and why the rush? He said the CEO saw it at another facility they visited and would like to add it to their court yard.

Kelly's Landscaping
07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
You have got to post pics of this if you do this job it is a moral imperative.

Smallaxe
07-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun... did this guy get pix of the one they got the idea from? I wouln't know where to start w/out pix to go on... :)

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 07:06 AM
I have an old G train...any reason you want/need battery powered? With 300' of track you are going to need to apply voltage to tracks in many locations. Your best bet is to pickup a book either at library or bookstore on garden layouts. Most if not all G is brass rails, not sure about O.

I think typically the base is either staked or staked and planked and the track gravel is laid after the track I down and an epoxy similar to that used with pavers is applied to the gravel to keep it and the track in place.
Posted via Mobile Device

sealcutter
07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I did find a gentleman and his son that do this type of work in my area. I think this might be to much for me at this time, I have major work planned for the next two months and we will be stretched. They have agreed to go over and check the area out and make plans up. I will only be support with equipment and labor. That is if they accept the bid, this is getting $$$ fast.

sealcutter
07-14-2012, 07:58 PM
youtube has some amazing layouts, all I can say is wow...

sealcutter
07-18-2012, 09:55 PM
They did accept the bid and we start next week, my guy did a cad layout looks just like a construction blue print. I am very excited about this project and we are trying to get permission to take photo's as we go, they have a policy of no pictures at all on premises. First order was placed today for track and switches $$$. This stuff is not cheap and some people have huge investments in their toy trains. The train guy seems to think we can get the track layout down in 2 day's, I can't be sure about that, but he is the expert so I will take his word for it. Thank god most of this bed is level and excavating will some what easier.

Dr.NewEarth
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Cool job. I'd like to see what you Engineer.

sealcutter
07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
DR. To be honest I had to hire a guy with right equipment and experience to make up the prints and what not. I did get a email from the facilty manager and due to world wide policy we can not take any pictures on site.:dizzy:
The site was surveyed today and staked out. I wish I had more time to be there next week but weather is looking good and we have two large parking lots sealcoat, so I will be tied up. Oldest son and the landscaper will be on site to excavate and assist next week.