PDA

View Full Version : Hard dirt in Louisiana?

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
07-14-2012, 12:39 AM
I know sounds funny but that orange clay hardens like a brick when it is dry and sometimes it seems easier to dig through a asphalt road.:laugh:

Anyone else experience this?

Smallaxe
07-14-2012, 05:44 AM
We have a couple of yards with what I call pottery clay... this is the stuff that doesn't soak up water very well and has lots of runoff and puddles... I don't have all the formulas at hand , but I find what works best is to irrigate multiple times in short spurts to allow the water time to soak in b4 the next application... you may have to observe how your clay is actually moistening by digging into the clay a little bit, unless of course you have the necessary formulas to tell you if the ground is wet or dry...

Sorry for the synicism, but I imagine someone will pipe up and tell you that looking at the soil is senseless unless you have the right math to do it correctly...

Aeration and a sandy compost topdressing will help over time, but it definately is an irritation... :)

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 05:57 AM
We have a couple of yards with what I call pottery clay... this is the stuff that doesn't soak up water very well and has lots of runoff and puddles... I don't have all the formulas at hand , but I find what works best is to irrigate multiple times in short spurts to allow the water time to soak in b4 the next application... you may have to observe how your clay is actually moistening by digging into the clay a little bit, unless of course you have the necessary formulas to tell you if the ground is wet or dry...

Sorry for the synicism, but I imagine someone will pipe up and tell you that looking at the soil is senseless unless you have the right math to do it correctly...

Aeration and a sandy compost topdressing will help over time, but it definately is an irritation... :)

I'm sure he will chime in...;)

Aeration and sand/compost mix will do wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-14-2012, 06:21 AM
must be all the iron in it. :laugh:

cgaengineer
07-14-2012, 08:35 AM
must be all the iron in it. :laugh:

Yeah that's it! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device