PDA

View Full Version : Mulch spores sticking to siding

Doublewide6
07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Is there any spray to stop mulch spores from sticking to vinyl siding. I have a customer that wants mulch, but without the spores. She is considering rock, but says rock is pretty permanent and she can't just pop in a few annuals if she wants to. So does anyone mix stone and mulch in the same beds? What is the best stone to use, as far as clean up/ blowing away leaves?

Duekster
07-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Mulch spores?

Jimslawncareservice
07-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Mix rock and mulch?
Posted via Mobile Device

Doublewide6
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Mulch spores little black oily dots that stick to the siding and there is no easy way to remove them. See link to pic. http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/d/d/ddd2/images/glebaonsiding.jpg
Thanks.

Roger
07-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Siding is not the only thing the spores will adhere. For example, people parking their cars near a bed run the risk of getting those marks on their car. Getting them off is a very difficult task. We have moved our vehicles away from beds with fresh mulch.

Duekster
07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
That is news to me but I learned something.

Seems cedar mulch which I use often is not particularly affected by it.

Not a huge fan of wood mulch against houses but you some times have to roll with the flow with what you have.

Rock can be an attractive mulch but as noted, it can get leaves and such in it, and often develops weed problems as theydecompose and gather wind blown soil.and develop rooting media.

If I am landscaping for effect, I often use Decomposed Granite and or river rock depending on what I am trying to achieve. You can place edging down and create another small bed just for the annuals for a spot of color.

We are often reducing the size of annual beds with perennial beds in the back and annuals in the front.

Doublewide6
07-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Anyone have any pictures of beds that go from stone to mulch. Like stone near the house and as you get up to the walkway there are some "pockets" of mulch for annual plantings. I would like to offer this suggestion, but I don't quite know how it would look. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Smallaxe
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
How do the spores get onto the siding??? my thought is it must be some 'splashing' into the mulch... just about everyone around here uses rock for foundation beds, but the mulched beds never created these spot on the siding, but then again we don't let the eaves 'splash'... I would check around and find out what's actually happening and why...

Duekster
07-14-2012, 10:57 AM
How do the spores get onto the siding??? my thought is it must be some 'splashing' into the mulch... just about everyone around here uses rock for foundation beds, but the mulched beds never created these spot on the siding, but then again we don't let the eaves 'splash'... I would check around and find out what's actually happening and why...

I will help you then Ax

http://msucares.com/newsletters/pests/infobytes/19970407.htm

Roger
07-14-2012, 10:57 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/06/18/artillery-spores-causing-headaches-around-area/

orangemower
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
This falls under the, "learn something new everyday" category. :D

Doublewide6
07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the link to the article. It says to mix mulch with 40% mushroom soil. I can have that done for me at the landscape supply place. It might be an option for the homeowner. Did you ever see a yard that has circles on it that are darker green in the grass. Last time I saw them in my yard I told my neighbor that aliens had landed here. It is caused by mushrooms shooting out their spores. So if you go to the middle of the green circle you will find some form of a mushroom. This is why these black spores are being shot out a vehicles and vinyl siding. By the way, the house, has gutters and rain water is not causing the spores to shoot up to the siding. In fact, some of the spores are 8 foot off the ground.