PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Glue From The Heat?

MEXANDME
07-14-2012, 09:15 AM
I have been using Whitlam / Wet Dry Low Voc PVC glue. I open the can to use it and it appeared to be thinner that usual. I guess due to the excessive heat in the vehicle.

I was reluctant to use it for fear of failure.

Do you do anything to protect your glue from the heat this time of year?

Thanks,

Mex

Duekster
07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Never used that brand. Heat is an issue but I typically see it thicken up. As long as it flows and coats , it is good to use. I do mostly repairs and buy smaller containers in the summer. Can not keep it in the cab of the truck as it makes me :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
07-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Any cement stored in the interior of a vehicle might be an OSHA violation. I know there are "solvent safe" add-ons for vans, where the safe is vented to the outside through the floor of the van.

jvanvliet
07-14-2012, 10:25 AM
We use Weld-On 717.

I keep some on a rag by the AC vents in the truck. Makes driving the I-95 super slab a unique experience.

Wet_Boots
07-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Weld-On 705, in dinky little cans

Waterlogged
07-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I would never put my glue in the cab. Humidity and air is my biggest thing. You must have the material safety data sheets with you at all times, you can get them from Weld-On web site. I have only been asked one time but I was glad I had them OSHA was handing out fines like candy on A job. I understand most people will never see OSHA but I try to do what I can to cover our safety and cover our tail.

jvanvliet
07-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I would never put my glue in the cab. Humidity and air is my biggest thing. You must have the material safety data sheets with you at all times, you can get them from Weld-On web site. I have only been asked one time but I was glad I had them OSHA was handing out fines like candy on A job. I understand most people will never see OSHA but I try to do what I can to cover our safety and cover our tail.

DOT is stopping pickup trucks here... you best have your $hit together. MSDS, user labels, containment vessels, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, eye wash station... :dizzy:

Duekster
07-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Houston area?

Waterlogged
07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
DFW area .....

Duekster
07-14-2012, 11:39 AM
DFW area .....

WOW, I can see Houston as they have so many oil companies down there. In my 30 plus years in DFW, I have not seen one OSHA inspection.

Waterlogged
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM
I have missed them on several jobs by a few days.And the superintendent will tell me to watch my P and Q

Duekster
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I have missed them on several jobs by a few days.And the superintendent will tell me to watch my P and Q

Constuction site inspections. Makes more sense now. Silly me. :hammerhead:

1idejim
07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
I have been using Whitlam / Wet Dry Low Voc PVC glue. I open the can to use it and it appeared to be thinner that usual. I guess due to the excessive heat in the vehicle.

I was reluctant to use it for fear of failure.

Do you do anything to protect your glue from the heat this time of year?

Thanks,

Mex

I have heard of guys mixing primer into glue to thin it but have never thought of doing it myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Oddly, his was thinner than normal already

MEXANDME
07-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes....mine appeared to be thinner; not thicker.

Maybe just my imagination.....maybe the heat was getting to me too!

Thanks for everyone's feedback.:dizzy:

Regards,

Mex

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Store your glue upside down. It will last longer and you'll get fewer fumes.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Store your glue upside down. It will last longer and you'll get fewer fumes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hows that work?
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
The best way to protect glue fro heat is leave it on the supply house shelves and buy a bag of crimp clamps and a roll of poly instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Hows that work?
Posted via Mobile Device

The glue seals off the cap area from air and the fumes can't escape through the bottom of the can. It also makes contractors clean all the gunked glue around the cap area off so the cap can get put back on properly and tight. Even then fumes can still escape throught the cap. A good way to test this is to buy two small cans of glue. Open them both up then reclose. Store one upside down and the other right next to it right side up. Check them in about two months.

grassman177
07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
i have had the glue turn to rubber from heat, and age too. that is why i buy smaller containers for repair, and larger ones for the install when we get them.

i have once pushed the limits of glue,and came back to fix it. glue is cheap compared to the time to re do something from failure. good call to replace it.

what to do though? take it out of the vehicle when not in use. speaking of that, i left mine in the van! doh

greendoctor
07-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Thin glue is a good sign unless someone thinned out a can with primer. Bad glue has the consistency of jam or jelly. That means that the solvents needed to solvent weld the pipe and fittings have evaporated. On installs, I wanted a new can, used up that day. No old glue, because a new can is cheaper than having to dig up and re fit.

jvanvliet
07-15-2012, 07:59 AM
I just leave the gallon cans in the warehouse and dispense it into quart containers as needed.

Wet_Boots
07-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I used to value the thickened cement as likely to set quicker (in the days before the blue glues)