PDA

View Full Version : Black weed mats in mulch beds?

C.J.
07-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I have a job where the customer wants us to remove all of the weeds in a 50yd strip of his backyard, then lay down a black mat to keep weeds from growing back and cover it with mulch. never messes with these black mats, any advice on them or if they work? how do you secure them to the ground?

grasscutter24
07-14-2012, 09:49 PM
They work okay for the 1st year or so. Eventually, your customer will still get weeds. I never use the black mat, unless I have a customer who asks for it (remember to charge for putting it down). There are small U stakes that you use to keep it in place while mulching. Just put one in each corner.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Seriously try to talk them out of the mat. It will hold existing weed seed under it from geerminating......... but as soon as weed seed are distributed in fresh mulch on top of mat you will have germination.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
07-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Everytime I have a customer with that crap in their beds I beg them to let me tear it out it's nothing but a PITA Whenever I do a bed prep for a mulch job I till and rake all the weeds and grass out then put down a preemergent such as snapshot, then spread in the mulch then another layer of snapshot on top of the mulch, then just new snapshot every month or so. beds stay about 95% weed free using this method at least for me. It's just a constant battle no matter what you do really.

C.J.
07-15-2012, 01:38 AM
So what would be the next best option besides the weed mat?
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
07-15-2012, 02:05 AM
So what would be the next best option besides the weed mat?
Posted via Mobile Device

see above post^^^^^^^

C.J.
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
well I have to get it done today, I plant on pulling all the weeds I can, then hitting it with a lawn mower, heavy spray of round up. then lay the mats down, add the mulch. any last minute advice?

Smallaxe
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Tell the client not to expect it to be maintenance-free and that he should preen the mulch on a regular basis... any weeds with underground spreading root systems like quack grass or canadian thistle is likely to appear around the perimeter of that mat...