PDA

View Full Version : Low maintenenance plants for side of house?

C.J.
07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
I am just now getting into planting shrubs and bushes for people, I have a customer that wants to add plants to the side of their house and mulch around them, I told her we usually charge a labor rate and have them pay for anything we buy such as pine straw/plants/ etc. what is a very low maintenance shrub I can plant (in GA) and how much should I charge per plant to plant them?

Dr.NewEarth
07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
You really need to understand a whole bunch of things about shrubs before you go plopping things in the ground.

What side of the house? How much sun? How much shade? Soil type and condition. Was some-thing else planted there before? Did it die? There is alot more.

C.J.
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
it will be in the shade the majority of the time since the next house is only 20ft away. there are only weeds planted there now

Dr.NewEarth
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Try searching "low maintenance shade plants Georgia"

Smallaxe
07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Regardless of where in the country you live it is alway best to go to the local nurseries and look for things that fit the bill, while at the same time add charm and beauty to the area... Between house like that you'll want to consider water accumulation, especially if you have clay... perhaps a hardy ground cover will be your only real choice...

Florida Gardener
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
You really need to understand a whole bunch of things about shrubs before you go plopping things in the ground.

What side of the house? How much sun? How much shade? Soil type and condition. Was some-thing else planted there before? Did it die? There is alot more.
Ditto
Posted via Mobile Device

wildstarblazer
07-17-2012, 07:16 AM
dwarf azalea are a good choice. Encore azaleas bloom more.

C.J.
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
they want me to plant daylily plants, from what I have read they are pretty easy to do

Smallaxe
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Up north, we call a certain group of bulbs 'daylillies' and they grow in full sun...

agrostis
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Daylilly's are not going to work in the shade. They need at least 8 hour's of full sun. They are about the toughest plant i've ever seen, just not in the shade.

Greyst1
07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Boxwoods, Burberries, Reed grass, there's lots of options. Go to a good nursery, understand your conditions, then rock it out.