PDA

View Full Version : Crape myrtle

capelawncare.com
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I have a crape myrtle that is failing to bloom. The Crape seems to take a long time to come out of its dormancy, compared to others in the area. When it does bloom it is very sparse.

Any suggestions?

RAlmaroad
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Did you prune it back? If so, when.
Have you fertilized it? If so, what and when.
Did you have a sudden cold spell? If so, when.
Crape Myrtles bloom any time from now till the end of 90 days. Some suffer from over loving. Let me know the above and we'll go from there.

Duekster
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
They need sun and lots of it to bloom, different colors bloom at different times

otherwise what he said ^^^

Brett Thomas
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Rd/up hitting the bark has cause multiple problems for us at our farm. This goes from weird leaf growth, death, late blooming/no blooms and multiple other things

Florida Gardener
07-16-2012, 06:59 PM
They need sun and lots of it to bloom, different colors bloom at different times

otherwise what he said ^^^

My first thought was how much sun...so, how much sun?
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
It gets full sun, no cold spells, no round up, and I don't trim it.

cgaengineer
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Your tree is broken. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a crape I pulled from my other house this spring...no shot or anything, just started blooming last week...they are tough.
Posted via Mobile Device

bug-guy
07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
check the PH of the soil first!!
fert with a product with a high middle # 8-10-10 should be easy to find

rob7233
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Do you know of the history of this CM? Has it ever been a good bloomer? Is this a recent change? Full of leaves? Any aphids? Was it planted by the Homeowner?

If there is a long/ongoing Hx with it, perhaps it was planted too deep. Hard to tell via this site without pics, closeup exam or some additional info. Start with the basics and fundenmentals and rule out causes from there.

RAlmaroad
07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

OK, first crape myrtles need an acidic soil. As someone said check your pH. The cheap Home owners stick in the ground will be OK for this. If the indicator pegs then add some of the Miracle Grow for acid loving plants (Blue Gray Box). You might add a little pH lowering sulfur. Ask your local better than average greenhouse keeper. Secondly your plant is a heavy feeder of phosphate. Buy some Fertilome Triple Phosphate. Dig a hole or trench around it and fill it with at least two pounds of this stuff. It will take all winter for it to become activated in the sand. Flowering trees and plants have got to have this. Here in Tennessee Wisteria plants have got to have this done every fall and have their surface runners cut for any flowers to appear in the spring, Do these things about September-October.
Trim back those long flowering twigs. Crapes bloom on new wood. Don't give it the monkey paw effect but do trim this years growth back to the pre season growing pattern. Remember blooms on New Wood so let it send out new shoots to bloom.