PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer

OmegaRed
07-16-2012, 02:29 PM
What is a good model home owner gas hedge trimmer. Not for work as I don't handle anyones hedges, but I need a new one for personal use. I'm not looking to spend a bunch, but would buy used from the classifieds.

Coffeecraver
07-17-2012, 05:25 AM
The Echo 20 in. 21.2 cc Gas Hedge Trimmer
I think you can get this at Home Depot

Good Luck
:)

Dr.NewEarth
07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I see people going out and buying inexpensive hedge trimmers. thinking that they're going to wip through the hedge and go enjoy a beer.

The fact is, the cheap home owner equipment usually has smaller blades and it works slower.

It takes longer to get the job done. It can be tedious work. Alot of the time the job done looks inferior too.

Echo is light and it has nice big sharp teeth and that will make your task easy.

Stihl is also good, sharp and fast. They are a bit heavier.

Cheaper equipment is going to break down and have to be replaced often, compared to a decent gas powered hedge saw.

I suggest spending a few hundred dollars, because you'll save time and alot of money in the long run.

Also, you never know when you can make money with the saw?

OmegaRed
07-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Ya I know I never buy junk anything, but figured I'd check and see. Looks like I'll have to drop a few hundred. My stihl dealer is pretty good so I'll probably end up with an HS 45 unless I can find something for sale on here

Dr.NewEarth
07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I get a discount through my John Deere Dealer. Where I am, they sell Stihl stuff too.

Also, JD has a payment plan.

If I need a bigger landscaping toy that costs more than my credit limit, I just phone the head office and they raise the limit. I could buy a combine.

rob7233
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM
If you are willing to pay new for a homeowner grade equipment then you should consider paying used for a decent shape commercial grade trimmer. You'll be way ahead of the game. However, finding a nice, used hedge trimmer is not that common and would you even know what to look for?

Try your area's Craigslist for starters. At least you can see/try it before you buy.

branchoutshrub
07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Try and buy a Stihl Trimmer. I've used a lot of different brands over the years and Stihl does the best job by far. It is worth the price.
www.branchoutshrub.com

Coffeecraver
07-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Those sthil trimmers are a lot heavier
Long hedge rows will wear you out

branchoutshrub
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
The trimmers do get heavy by the end of the day, but we make the best of it.
www.branchoutshrub.com

Darryl G
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Ditto on the Echo. I bought a HC-150 last season and it's a good basic trimmer at a good price. I think it kind of straddles the line between homeowner and pro quality.

There's also the option of buying a cordless model like the B & D Hedgehog. You can get them for around $50 reconditioned...they also have higher end models.