PDA

View Full Version : Got to admit, hasn't been bad so far.

Florida Gardener
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
So, it's mid July, halfway through summer. I can honestly count maybe 5 bad days here do far...what does everyone else think?
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
rain everyday for the past week and a half with the sea breezes kicking in, like a rain forest out there, but been very busy adding some new clients and trying to stay on schedule.

jvanvliet
07-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Could have been worse. The rain was diving me crazy for a while there.

Rain on and off all day yesterday.

Landscape Poet
07-17-2012, 07:49 AM
It has not been brutally hot temp wise, humidity still rough some days especially inland where we do not get that much of the ocean breeze like some of you.
The worst so far this season has been the rain - which I am happy to take - but man it is playing with my schedule, seems like we get a little here, a little there all at times we can not afford to be delayed. Got a 60% chance today and got hit yesterday in the afternoon. Just hoping it can hold off long enough for us to get through a majority of the properties. Nothing like being hot all day and feeling those first couple of large COLD rain drops hit your back.

Keith
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
It's been an "average" summer. Not like many in the last 10 to 15 years. It's been clouding up earlier and keeping the temp down. Yeah, it's summer and it's sweaty, but we haven't been seeing heat indexes above 110 this year. I think the highest temp we have had has been about 95F. And that was just a couple of days. And the sea breezes are working like they should. The air isn't stagnant all the time. For the most part our temps have been what they show as the average every day. Nighttime temps have been in the average temp range too. You can walk outside most evenings and not feel like you stepped into a convection oven. I've walked out after 9pm and it's been downright comfortable. In turn it takes a little longer to reach 90. Heck, it's nearly 11 am and 80 right now.

This is what I remember most summers being like when I was younger. Average, with 8-10 really hot days. And by really hot, I'm talking north of 93, not 98. It's been more comfortable in June and July than some recent Septembers and Octobers have been. Can't complain about this. And if it turns unusually hot, October is only 11 weeks out.

mjlcare2
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't think its been too bad either.. June had its issues with a high number of customer complaints.. usually related to weather. but temp. wise.. could be worse..

It's not over yet

Landscape Poet
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Keith;4473310. And if it turns unusually hot, October is only 11 weeks out.[/QUOTE]

That is the focus of every day at this point even though it has not been crazy hot this year. I am still looking forward some down time.

With that said we called it a early day today about 2:30 as the storms moved in so did the lightning. I will mow through some light rain, heavy rains too at time if I have no choice, but when lightning come I stop.

904turf
07-17-2012, 07:15 PM
off and on rain and humidity. Im in jax beach so I get a nice breeze. Only lost 250 sq feet of turf to the bugs thus far (fingers crossed) so much sedge though :(

stickleylawncare
07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Maybe Ill feel different by the end of August, but this year so far hasnt 'felt' as bad as last year.

Florida Gardener
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
This year has def been way better in terms of rainfall and better temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
you guys all better knock on wood!

Keith
07-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I got most everything done by Thursday evening. Knew today would be sweltering. Putting off the five I have left until after 4pm.

Florida Gardener
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I got most everything done by Thursday evening. Knew today would be sweltering. Putting off the five I have left until after 4pm.

Yea, today and yesterday have been ruff...err rough. Man, what speciod am I again?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-21-2012, 05:39 PM
It looks like it is going to be bad today, maybe tomorrow, monday 50% chance of rain so we will see. It is heat index of 104 right now...good stuff. Just a few more weeks though

Patriot Services
07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I am enjoying the return to traditional weather patterns. Late showers with breezes. Overnite showes to add to ground saturation. It's been hot , but surprisingly manageable.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
07-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I am enjoying the return to traditional weather patterns. Late showers with breezes. Overnite showes to add to ground saturation. It's been hot , but surprisingly manageable.:usflag:

Very hot week this week....8 more weeks to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
07-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Yesterday and today was pretty steamy in the interior of Florida. High of 95F today. No breeze most of the day and no cloud cover, but still dew points in the mid-70s. But hell, I've seen it much worse.

Landscape Poet
07-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Yesterday and today was pretty steamy in the interior of Florida. High of 95F today. No breeze most of the day and no cloud cover, but still dew points in the mid-70s. But hell, I've seen it much worse.

Thursday was pretty decent at times with a few light breezes here, especially in the early morning but then just stagnate, hot , humid , steamy mess. I will concur it has been much worse so I am not hating life but it was nothing our friends in the north would call comfortable.

Florida Gardener
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Felt the first signs of "Fall" today. It was 91, but low humidity. Was doing some cutbacks on ixoras and it didn't feel bad at all. Supposed to be a cold winter from what I hear too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
No lack of humidity up here. But no oppressive heat either. Was cutting two, one larger, at about 2pm. Clouded up. Cool breeze came in, then some light rain as I was trimming. Then it opened up. Got to head back over there now and edge and blow the drives off.

Patriot Services
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Tons of rain and lightning. Flooded roads. Republicans running amok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Yup, raining here too...been a good month for rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Been nice here but Im sure we will get 1 more hot spell

Florida Gardener
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Last week of August fellas..,can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
08-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks like a small LED flashlight but I will take what I can get :dancing:

Florida Gardener
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Looks like a small LED flashlight but I will take what I can get :dancing:

Haha.....yea, I'll take it too...other reason in looking forward to winter is I will probably pick up more biz then.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
08-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Last week of August fellas..,can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure it's not the train coming? :rolleyes:

zturncutter
08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
The RAIN train :cry:

Landscape Poet
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
The RAIN train :cry:

Yep, I know our soils can allow H20 to move through/drain pretty quickly but at least here many of the lawns seemed to be at capacity before Issac's path. Not working today and I am not sure if tomorrow will be possible

zturncutter
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Doing some equipment maintenance this morning, going out this afternoon and see if I can mow two or three that are on natural ridges but many will not be able to be cut this week.

Ric
08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Yes S.W. Gulf Coast Florida has been spared by Hurricane Isaac. Monday the Inter bans of weather were off shore and the Outer bans are pounding the East Coast. Gulf Coast Florida is in the center of these two weather bans.

I just bought a very large Rain gage and it shows only 2 inches of rain since Isaac first hit my area Saturday night. Just a few days ago we had 2 inches of rain over night.

jvanvliet
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
We are up to our buttocks in water; 15" in Wellington alone.

Greg78
08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Will try tomorrow with my Turf Tracer the Z will be at our shop getting repaired anyways.

Florida Gardener
09-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow, what a great week! Lowww humidity, breezes, and a couple degrees lower temp wise. I hope it stays like this till October.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
09-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I had a few nice days, but seems like the heat is moving back in my area. I walked outside this morning and it was sticky. Very little breeze and humidity is back. I guess I'm almost there.......cant wait, rainy and hot summer for me

Patriot Services
09-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Supposed to be wet early this week. I already noticed a slight slowing in the growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
No huge break up here. Humidity has been really high during the daytime. Temps are about average, with the daily high dropping about 1 degree every week or so after mid-August. Once you get to October you can expect to drop another degree every three or four days.

You can definitely tell the days are getting shorter.

Patriot Services
09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes they are. We had to wait for the sun to come up yesterday. 7 was a tad too early.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
We had to wait a couple of times last week for the sun to come up enough to take photos (bank owned properties). The growth has really slowed down this last week. Looking forward to some free time.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
We had to wait a couple of times last week for the sun to come up enough to take photos (bank owned properties). The growth has really slowed down this last week. Looking forward to some free time.

I am looking forward to it. I pray to God its a cold winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I am looking forward to it. I pray to God its a cold winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not me...I hope it's like last winter. Of course, I don't need a break, I need more clients! LOL
Doing some jobs on Singer Island tomorrow....looks like we have until about 1:00pm before the rain kicks in. Really sucks because most of our work down there requires mulching. We're going to start early and hope for the best. Luckily, I have a couple of replanting jobs in Wellington. Maybe that will fill in the afternoon time. I like doing replants in the rain.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Not me...I hope it's like last winter. Of course, I don't need a break, I need more clients! LOL
Doing some jobs on Singer Island tomorrow....looks like we have until about 1:00pm before the rain kicks in. Really sucks because most of our work down there requires mulching. We're going to start early and hope for the best. Luckily, I have a couple of replanting jobs in Wellington. Maybe that will fill in the afternoon time. I like doing replants in the rain.
What hood on singer island? Nice homes?
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
What hood on singer island? Nice homes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, nice area. Not many homes under a half a mil. Mainly Palm Beach Isles right now, but there are some areas we're scouring south of BHB. We've only hit the north side so far, but there are a lot of crappy crews working out there.
A lot of the residents only come down from Nov. through April, and think their op is taking care of their properties. Most of them are taking their money but not producing.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Yea, I drove through the area near sailfish marina and the work sucks, but the question is are people willing to pay for quality. Might be a lot of cheapos. I personally didnt see many really nice homes that are worth taking care of...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh and I know where your talking about south of Bhb near the water. Again, might be people unwilling to pay for quality. I saw homes in that area though that would be great to pick up, but I don't think so much on singer island. Looked like a lot of $150-$250/mon max
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh and I know where your talking about south of Bhb near the water. Again, might be people unwilling to pay for quality. I saw homes in that area though that would be great to pick up, but I don't think so much on singer island. Looked like a lot of $150-$250/mon max
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, there are those, but there are also a lot of people in that area that aren't afraid of the dollar amount as long as their place looks nice. There are "cheapo's" everywhere, and considering our economic situation, I suppose it's understandable. Your price ranges are pretty close, but when you can knock out 12-14 per day, there's a little money there. None of the lots are very large. The toughest part is that most of them back up to the water, and you have to be careful on those slopes at waters edge. Otherwise, they are pretty much quickies. You have to remember that unlike you, we can't be too picky right now. We just need to get clients that are happy and will talk to other potential clients.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes, there are those, but there are also a lot of people in that area that aren't afraid of the dollar amount as long as their place looks nice. There are "cheapo's" everywhere, and considering our economic situation, I suppose it's understandable. Your price ranges are pretty close, but when you can knock out 12-14 per day, there's a little money there. None of the lots are very large. The toughest part is that most of them back up to the water, and you have to be careful on those slopes at waters edge. Otherwise, they are pretty much quickies. You have to remember that unlike you, we can't be too picky right now. We just need to get clients that are happy and will talk to other potential clients.
I hear you. I want more work too. I really only want to pick up $300/mo and up minimum. Anything less than that and you are then trying to do volume, which I don't want. I do have one account in Jupiter that's $180/mo, but it's EOW. No grass, only landscaping. That is probably the only neighborhood I want more work that is in that price range cause the homes are easy and very little grass if any. Problem is, lots of shoddy companies that work cheap. Most of the people are seasonal in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I hear you. I want more work too. I really only want to pick up $300/mo and up minimum. Anything less than that and you are then trying to do volume, which I don't want. I do have one account in Jupiter that's $180/mo, but it's EOW. No grass, only landscaping. That is probably the only neighborhood I want more work that is in that price range cause the homes are easy and very little grass if any. Problem is, lots of shoddy companies that work cheap. Most of the people are seasonal in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. The $300 and plus per month are the ones to get, but I'm just not finding many down here. The one you have in Jupiter is probably a good profit, but how far do you drive to do just that one job? That's what we're struggling with. I'm driving from Royal Palm to do the work on singer island, and just today I had a potential client call from Boca. I can't afford to spread out like that, or my fuel and traveling expenses will eat up any profit. I'm working hard with a couple of HOA's in the Wellington/Royal Palm area and they are right in my backyard. If I can get those, and do a couple of "one dayers" with some driving time, I'll be OK for now. I'll tell you, compared with central FL, the market is tough down here! I'm learning that the hard way.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I agree. The $300 and plus per month are the ones to get, but I'm just not finding many down here. The one you have in Jupiter is probably a good profit, but how far do you drive to do just that one job? That's what we're struggling with. I'm driving from Royal Palm to do the work on singer island, and just today I had a potential client call from Boca. I can't afford to spread out like that, or my fuel and traveling expenses will eat up any profit. I'm working hard with a couple of HOA's in the Wellington/Royal Palm area and they are right in my backyard. If I can get those, and do a couple of "one dayers" with some driving time, I'll be OK for now. I'll tell you, compared with central FL, the market is tough down here! I'm learning that the hard way.
I live 5 minutes from that house....yea, drive time is a killer, but sometimes you have to do it cause the accounts are worth it. If you can line up a good amount of work in west Boca, you should def go there. It is one high-end hood after the other. If you are ever near clintmoore rd, head west towards 441 and you will see. There are also nice hoods off 441 b/t Atlantic and clintmoore. Idk, central Florida seems tougher. Plus, they don't really have any estates up there....lots here.
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-18-2012, 08:11 AM
I live 5 minutes from that house....yea, drive time is a killer, but sometimes you have to do it cause the accounts are worth it. If you can line up a good amount of work in west Boca, you should def go there. It is one high-end hood after the other. If you are ever near clintmoore rd, head west towards 441 and you will see. There are also nice hoods off 441 b/t Atlantic and clintmoore. Idk, central Florida seems tougher. Plus, they don't really have any estates up there....lots here.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, that's like me doing jobs in Wellington. 5 minutes away. That's where the money is. I know Boca has a lot of nice stuff out west but this one was more east and from the satellite image, probably a $120 per. mo. job max. It's about 50 minutes drive time each way. Out west though, I'd take one just to get my foot in the neighborhood. Lots of money out there.
Yeah, not a lot of huge estates up central, but I'm talking west central. Lots of golf course communities with nice town houses. HOA's that don't include lawn maintenance. That's where our other company is making their money. They can knock out 10 per hour at $25 per pop. Good money. Down here, most of those are paid by the HOA, and those contracts are hard to get.

Keith
09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
September turned out to be more humid than hot. The last two weeks have been rather uncomfortable.

Today was the first nice day we've had. Of course I had to spend the day chasing down an axle for my trailer and replacing it.

Florida Gardener
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
September turned out to be more humid than hot. The last two weeks have been rather uncomfortable.

Today was the first nice day we've had. Of course I had to spend the day chasing down an axle for my trailer and replacing it.

Not here...most of sept has been great. Today was great. Low humidity and breezy. But again, totally different areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
09-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Yep, yesterday was really really nice. Humidity was what? In the low 70's? Today was a little warmer but very nice all in all but it was not as brisk as it was yesterday morning. I like waiting for the daylight to break and it is almost chilly, that is the best.

Patriot Services
09-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Still doesn't feel like the right time of year. Next weekend is our annual Horror Nights trip and usually it's dry and cool at night. Not so sure this year.:usflag:

zturncutter
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Thunderstorm here again last night, worked about 5 hours today and was soaked with sweat by 10:00 am. We were just being teased earlier this month. Business is continuing to build so no complaints here :clapping:

DMlandscaping
09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Thunderstorm here again last night, worked about 5 hours today and was soaked with sweat by 10:00 am. We were just being teased earlier this month. Business is continuing to build so no complaints here :clapping:

Same here. Today was 100% miserable. After the first couple of hours it already felt like I'd worked a full day!

Keith
09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Yesterday was a five-shirt day. One of the top five most uncomfortable days of the year.

Honestly, it's been unusually humid ever since TS Isaac. Humidity has pretty consistently been north of 60% many days. I remember another year like this back about 1995 or 1996. Mild summer, hot and humid September.

Ric
09-29-2012, 06:33 PM

I Keep a wash cloth in my Ice Chest. By cooling my head with a Ice pack or wet Ice cloth I can at least get some relief. A few 7-11 have walk in coolers that I will visit on most of these days.

DMlandscaping
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow, 500 smackers....but sure is tempting!
http://www.veskimo.com/cooling-hydration-backpack-system.html

Florida Gardener
09-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Crazy, the last 2 weeks here have been great. Breezes, lower humidity. Today was nice too....
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Crazy, the last 2 weeks here have been great. Breezes, lower humidity. Today was nice too....
Posted via Mobile Device

It's hard to imagine that it's that different 30 minutes northeast of here, but today and yesterday was terrible here. Also, I was working in Wellington, so no sea breeze, matter of fact, no breeze at all. Just clam humid, and hot. Last I checked it was 92 with 90% humidity. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer, with humidity in the 70% range. It gets a bit worse as you get more inland as opposed to the coastal areas. I notice the difference a lot when doing Singer Island. There's always that cool breeze, and it really makes a difference.

Greg78
09-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Had one really nice and mild day last week, then back to what we've been getting.

Florida Gardener
09-29-2012, 09:19 PM
It's hard to imagine that it's that different 30 minutes northeast of here, but today and yesterday was terrible here. Also, I was working in Wellington, so no sea breeze, matter of fact, no breeze at all. Just clam humid, and hot. Last I checked it was 92 with 90% humidity. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer, with humidity in the 70% range. It gets a bit worse as you get more inland as opposed to the coastal areas. I notice the difference a lot when doing Singer Island. There's always that cool breeze, and it really makes a difference.

That's the difference, you are out west with no breeze. It is always humid out west vs coast. Friday was weird, humid till about noon, then nice and breezy...I really don't care at this point, we are almost at the home stretch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
09-30-2012, 05:09 PM
The air has definitely been stagnant in the past few weeks. Mowing on the smaller lakes, most days they have looked like glass. I'm thinking the same thing about it being October, and that cooler air has to be on the way. But looking at the 10-day forecast it doesn't look too promising. Looks like more of the same. I'm trying to convince myself to go do a couple commercials this afternoon. Sure is nice in the A/C though.

Johnagain
09-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I was also hoping that the temps would cool down some. I do remember the past 2 years over at Biketoberfest in Daytona that the temps where still in the lower 90's. Looks like it will be much the same this year.

The good thing it's only 5 more weeks to EOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida Gardener
09-30-2012, 05:42 PM
The air has definitely been stagnant in the past few weeks. Mowing on the smaller lakes, most days they have looked like glass. I'm thinking the same thing about it being October, and that cooler air has to be on the way. But looking at the 10-day forecast it doesn't look too promising. Looks like more of the same. I'm trying to convince myself to go do a couple commercials this afternoon. Sure is nice in the A/C though.
It's gonna be nicer here. Next Sunday is a high of 83...I'm hoping that's a trend going forward meaning temps keep going down. I will be ecstatic if October ends up being high of 80 with lows in the upper 60s....
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Flippin' A! It's 92.3F and humidity of 62%. That's an HI of 107 for those playing along at home. I don't recall seeing a higher heat index this year. This is where it starts really wearing on you. SA was growing about 3" a week last week. This week it's about 4-5". Again, no real relief seen in the 10-day. Maybe an 85F for a couple of days a few days out. I do believe we have only had one night below 70F so far.

BCL Services
10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
The heat was nasty today. Come on cold fronts!

williams lcm
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
With the rain and heat grass is growing like crazy. Usually this time a year I can cut Bahia every other week. Weeds are also taking off. This has been 1 long year.

Patriot Services
10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Now we have 40mph winds and torrential downpours. Tomorrow is going to be hot and muggy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Wow! humid as hell yesterday and today. supposed to be same tomorrow.....this winter better be cold as ......

zturncutter
10-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I say enough already, properties are getting so wet we can't put equipment on some of them. Been working in the rain all week and steamy as h-ll. :cry::cry:

Keith
10-05-2012, 01:10 AM
I've mowed more with a 21" mower in the past couple of weeks than I have in 20 years. They're just too soggy to put anything bigger on.

Florida Gardener
10-05-2012, 01:38 AM
I've mowed more with a 21" mower in the past couple of weeks than I have in 20 years. They're just too soggy to put anything bigger on.

Good thing you got that toro commercial!
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
10-05-2012, 01:43 AM
You're not kidding! The timing on the purchase was unbelievable.

Ric
10-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I say enough already, properties are getting so wet we can't put equipment on some of them. Been working in the rain all week and steamy as h-ll. :cry::cry:

This last week I have not to spray anything in fear of it ending up in the Gulf of Mexico. My rain gage says we only had 2 inches of rain this week. But that is on top of a already saturated soil. I hate to B!tch about too much rain when the rest of the country has none.

zturncutter
10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
This last week I have not to spray anything in fear of it ending up in the Gulf of Mexico. My rain gage says we only had 2 inches of rain this week. But that is on top of a already saturated soil. I hate to B!tch about too much rain when the rest of the country has none.

Been pouring here for the last hour and a half, it's coming your way Ric.

Ric
10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Been pouring here for the last hour and a half, it's coming your way Ric.

AND THIS OCTOBER OUR DRY MONTH?????

Yep I am staying home tonight and It is here now. I believe we are only 8 miles apart down the same road. I didn't empty my Rain gage and it had just over 2 inches in it from this weeks rain. From the way it is pouring I sure it will be an other inch higher.

Ric
10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
AND THIS OCTOBER OUR DRY MONTH?????

Yep I am staying home tonight and It is here now. I believe we are only 8 miles apart down the same road. I didn't empty my Rain gage and it had just over 2 inches in it from this weeks rain. From the way it is pouring I sure it will be an other inch higher.

Correction, I only had 3/4 of rain last night.

Patriot Services
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Hangin at Universal this weekend. Sweatin by the pool and its almost 90. Nature threw her calender in the crapper this year. EOW maybe by December if this keeps up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Hangin at Universal this weekend. Sweatin by the pool and its almost 90. Nature threw her calender in the crapper this year. EOW maybe by December if this keeps up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blasphemy! Don't say that....I don't know what I would do with myself.....

zturncutter
10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Correction, I only had 3/4 of rain last night.

2.25 here, water in all the retention areas on the commercials this morning.

Posted via Mobile Device

I remember a year, I think 94 or 95, that we were mowing some accounts weekly into December, wet and warm.

Ric
10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
2.25 here, water in all the retention areas on the commercials this morning.

I remember a year, I think 94 or 95, that we were mowing some accounts weekly into December, wet and warm.

I believe is was 1994. I was living in Boca Grande and we ended up having 3 freezes between the last week of February and the first two weeks of March. BTW Our No Freeze date is March 15th. Because the winter was so warm and Boca Grande being a Island with a Micro Climate, Plant devastation was huge. It took 2 years for many of the tropical plants to make a come back. Many didn't come back and had to be replanted.

Florida Gardener
10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I believe is was 1994. I was living in Boca Grande and we ended up having 3 freezes between the last week of February and the first two weeks of March. BTW Our No Freeze date is March 15th. Because the winter was so warm and Boca Grande being a Island with a Micro Climate, Plant devastation was huge. It took 2 years for many of the tropical plants to make a come back. Many didn't come back and had to be replanted.

That's what happened 3 winters ago here. Hot till mid December, then bam...2 freezes, 3 frosts or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-06-2012, 11:14 PM
That's what happened 3 winters ago here. Hot till mid December, then bam...2 freezes, 3 frosts or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Talk about Al Gore's global warming we have had hard freezes for the last 3 years in a in a row. Before that, there was a freeze every 3 years or so and then not many Hard freezes.

Florida Gardener
10-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Talk about Al Gore's global warming we have had hard freezes for the last 3 years in a in a row. Before that, there was a freeze every 3 years or so and then not many Hard freezes.

I seem to remember the early-mid 90's having some very cold winters. I also remember a lot of winters where it wasn't 30's/low 40's, but very consistent temps in the mid 40's-mid 50's. Seems like the last 2 winters had very few cold days....again, this is south florida, so our winters will obviously look very different.

Keith
10-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I think we only had a 31F reading one or two nights last winter. Very little damage from frost either.

Ric
10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I think we only had a 31F reading one or two nights last winter. Very little damage from frost either.

You must live is a special Climate pocket near the coast to have missed the last 3 years of hard freezes that we had in S.W. Fla. I am not saying there aren't Micro Climates in Florida. Tampa Bay area is a Micro climate because of the Bay that keeps it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. You can grow coconut trees in St Pete but they won't survive the winter 50 miles south in inland Sarasota County.

Keith
10-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I live 30 miles north of Orlando. We had freezes just like everyone else in '10 and '11. Especially 2010. But nothing Dec 11- Feb 12. I remember posting something in January about the five days of winter being over. It tickled 32 degrees a few times, but never really got much below it. I covered plants numerous times for nothing.

Landscape Poet
10-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I live 30 miles north of Orlando. We had freezes just like everyone else in '10 and '11. Especially 2010. But nothing Dec 11- Feb 12. I remember posting something in January about the five days of winter being over. It tickled 32 degrees a few times, but never really got much below it. I covered plants numerous times for nothing.

Yep, I flew out of state last year when the cold finally set in, by the time I returned 6 days later everything was still slightly brown but was starting to recover very well the next week. I was hoping for a harder freeze this year. People seem to be spending again...with a freeze that would mean lots of new installs after us having some easy weeks of course:clapping:

Ric
10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
You must live is a special Climate pocket near the coast to have missed the last 3 years of hard freezes that we had in S.W. Fla. I am not saying there aren't Micro Climates in Florida. Tampa Bay area is a Micro climate because of the Bay that keeps it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. You can grow coconut trees in St Pete but they won't survive the winter 50 miles south in inland Sarasota County.

I need to Correct my above statement. Coconut trees will grow in Sarasota County but won't produce Coconuts. Sarasota is in CENTRAL Fla. The South Sarasota County Line is the Demarcation point between S W and Central Fla.

As you drive South on Hwy 41 from Tampa, First you leave that micro Climate. But as you drive the Landscape becomes more and more Tropical.

East Coast of Fla has a huge Micro Climate because of the Gulf Stream.

Florida Gardener
10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Flipping humid here today....really ready for cold weather...
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
When humidity is above 65%, things don't dry out. I look like a wet rag.

Landscape Poet
10-08-2012, 11:07 PM
When humidity is above 65%, things don't dry out. I look like a wet rag.

They are predicting we will be getting a break in the next two weeks Keith. Hang in there as reward time is almost here. :clapping:

Keith
10-08-2012, 11:26 PM
I think we are going to get a small break tomorrow and Wednesday. At least as far as humidity.

Wunderground on my phone really had my hopes up. It showed 59 for tomorrow morning! Too bad nothing else shows anything like that.

Patriot Services
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Today was much drier and a nice breeze.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Today was much drier and a nice breeze.
Posted via Mobile Device

Was a nice change of pace for sure.