PDA

View Full Version : What to use on the residential side to kill weeds in Bermuda????

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
So I have a home owner that I cut with bermuda and he has weeds (dont know exactly what being that I havent seen them yet) that just sprouted up in the last couple of days and he wants to know what he can use to kill the weeds and NOT the grass!!!

I dont have my spray license yet so there for I wont even attempt anything (even round-up for the driveway) until this winter when I will persue getting liscensed!

But he was asking me if he went to Home Depot to buy but what I told him was that he neeed to go to a specialty store because they would have what he needed and as a homeowner he could @ least get the more watered down version that would do the job for him!

BUT what I am asking from my fellow LCO's is what brand/type/dose etc...... that he needs to do and Im sure the type of weeds might have a differance but wanted to ask as of now I have no clue of spraying lol But I will be there tomorrow if anyone wants pics!!!

:drinkup:

Dandylyin Slayer
07-16-2012, 11:24 PM
This is a different approach, usually it's somebody who his needing to treat HIS OWN LAWN.

Your customer pays you to whack his grass, tell him to pay a Licensed lco to squirt his grass !!

LOL LOL. :walking:

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
This is a different approach, usually it's somebody who his needing to treat HIS OWN LAWN.

Your customer pays you to whack his grass, tell him to pay a Licensed lco to squirt his grass !!

Thats what I told him but for some reason HE think's I know all about the pestaside/herbaside relm!!!!!

COME WINTER when I HAVE TIME I will study what I Can but I'm Askin yall for some help!!!!

Also yall can check my threads/pics and see I aint no 1 time job just tryin @ help out my fellow LCO's!!!!!!!!

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-16-2012, 11:39 PM

The problem is that TRUGREEN Is all they/I know in the area and IM not tryin to ADD to thier Empire!!!!

Dandylyin Slayer
07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
You DON'T need any help, just tell him you don't have a clue.
Tell him call somebody who does have a clue.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-16-2012, 11:50 PM
You DON'T need any help, just tell him you don't have a clue.
Tell him call somebody who does have a clue.

Thats the problem I dont want to look like and Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I told him that I dont have my spray licence but I will in the spring but that I knew some pro's (on here) that did and that I would ask them!!!!

But the problem is that I gotta cut them tommorrow!!!!

I been slammed and aint had a chance to get on here!!!!

Please I need somethin to tell him by approx 2:00 pm???

Dandylyin Slayer
07-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Thats the problem I dont want to look like and Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I told him that I dont have my spray licence but I will in the spring but that I knew some pro's (on here) that did and that I would ask them!!!!

But the problem is that I gotta cut them tommorrow!!!!

Please I need somethin to tell him by approx 2:00 pm???

What if he wants you to explain , brain surgery are you gonna jump on a brain surgey forum and beg for answers?

Or just tell him you don't have a clue about it ?

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
What if he wants you to explain , brain surgery are you gonna jump on a brain surgey forum and beg for answers?

Or just tell him you don't have a clue about it ?

Thats the one thing I hope he dont ask me!!!!!

He likes his yard cut @ 4" and Ive told him bermuda needs to be cut @ 2.5 max and he has asked me why and I told him warm weather grass then he kept drillin me but then i looked like a fool but this time I wanted somethin to tell him.......smh

Also I have been thinking about enrolling in TWCC Horticulture prorgram to learn about EVERYTHING (that they can tell me) about the business!!!!

Ric
07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
thats the problem i dont want to look like and idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i told him that i dont have my spray licence but i will in the spring but that i knew some pro's (on here) that did and that i would ask them!!!!

But the problem is that i gotta cut them tommorrow!!!!

Please i need somethin to tell him by approx 2:00 pm???.

Hello!!!

phasthound
07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
You will only look like a fool or an idiot if you pretend to know something you don't. Tell him the truth, you are not trained or licensed in pesticides and honestly cannot give him the correct advice. If you provide him with inaccurate information you may be held accountable for any mishaps.

georgialawn88
07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
you want to learn all there is to learn by 2 p.m.? lol. how'd that work out for ya? refer him to a fert company

RigglePLC
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
So its 2:25. But he can do OK with Weed B Gone. If he uses the same label dosage at the maximum he will be using the same strength we are using. The active ingredient per acre does not change--that is a label requirement. Bermuda does not like tryclopyr--avoid products which contain triclopyr. A spreader-sticker or surfactant would be a help. And make it clear it is for broadleaves not crabgrass--unless he buys the kind with quinclorac as an ingredient. And be sure he applys the proper amount per 1000 sqft. and be sure he has the proper equipment and has it calibrated properly. And be sure he has gloves and boots and safety glasses as required on the label. And proper measuring equipment--not something from his kitchen. And some weeds are not susceptible to broadleaf killers--like crab, nutsedge, kylinga...

A pro is better--proper equipment, professional products, knowledge.

Busa Dave
07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
One reason I am glad I still have 2 gallons of MSMA!!!!

Proper mowing and the use of the correct types of pre-emergent will take care of most of the weeds as you move forward but now it is tough for a couple of the most predominate grassy type weeds without MSMA.

Dandylyin Slayer
07-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Passin out free advice to home owners, is one reason lawn care guys have no respect from home owners.

That's one reason prices are held down.

If Mr home owner called Mr electrician and wanted set by step instructions to re-wire his house, do you really think he would get run on down to lowes answer ??

If mr home owner calls mr plumber asks for step By step to re-plumb his house would he get the run on down to the depot answer ??

Yeah just run on down to the big box store and get ya some of this!! Lol what a joke !

Coach em for free, then we just can't figure out why they have no respect for the lawn boy .

Nobody else coaches and gives em free advice why does so many lawn boys do it ?

Maybe it makes em feel important..... Kinda like askin would you like fries with that ?

cpllawncare
07-18-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't coach, but I do educate, but if I don't know, I don't know and I tell the customer that, but I always follow up with an answer, I am licensed, but that still doesn't mean I have all the answers, I don't know why you guys think that just because you have a license to spray that makes you a pro? It by no means does not, I still have to get answers for stuff all the time, I have no problem telling someone I don't know, but I will find out.

cpllawncare
07-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Guys we are not a regulated industry! that is why we don't get respected like plumbers and electricians! there are wayyy more serious consequnses(sp) to improperly wiring a house than improperly cutting a lawn or cutting a shrub the wrong way! Face it! no one's life is at risk for not cutting the grass right vs not wiring a house right! Now I am all for regulating this industry but that most likely isn't going to happen. I would gladly go get a degree in horticulture or turf mngmt if it were reguired! it would eliminate 90% of the riff raff we have in this industry. Actually I am thinking about doing it anyway so as to diffrentiate myself from the rest and enable me to charge accordingly, like a REAL PRO not just a joe blow with a pesticide license.

cgaengineer
07-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Tell the homeowner to ask this guy where he got his chemicals

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/07/11/pkg-mn-lawn-accidentally-killed.kare
Posted via Mobile Device