PDA

View Full Version : Where do you apply round up?

kebrowns
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Ok, I see other lawn guys applying round up. I know you apply it around the curb, along the driveway but where else? If so is it an additional service?

zak406
07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
It doesnt sound like your liscensed to apply round up, until you are I suggest you dont touch the bottle let alone apply it..... :nono:

Dave does lawns
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
:laugh:It doesnt sound like your liscensed to apply round up, until you are I suggest you dont touch the bottle let alone apply it..... :nono: message is too short so I add this.

WOW
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok, I see other lawn guys applying round up. I know you apply it around the curb, along the driveway but where else? If so is it an additional service?

apply it on the lawn to get rid of weeds... ;)

doublesharp
07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
anyplace that looks good brown.

TNGrassCutter
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
On a competitor's account the night after they do a lawn app.
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
07-17-2012, 11:23 PM
I drink Roundup for breakfast.

kebrowns
07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a license. I got it two months ago. I don't have the full gear to apply to a lawn such as a big 25 gallon tank. I however, knew i had to get the license just to apply round up. However, I see guys applying it around the curb, walkways, and drive ways maybe also weeds. It seems as if they are doing it as included service or maybe extra not sure and I am a newbie just trying to figure stuff out.

zak406
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a license. I got it two months ago. I don't have the full gear to apply to a lawn such as a big 25 gallon tank. I however, knew i had to get the license just to apply round up. However, I see guys applying it around the curb, walkways, and drive ways maybe also weeds. It seems as if they are doing it as included service or maybe extra not sure and I am a newbie just trying to figure stuff out.

If thats the case, a lot of guys spray around buildings, trees, and other obsticals on large commercial accounts. I personally use it to kill weeds in landscape beds and also kill weeds in sidewalk and drive way cracks. I wouldnt spray round up on edges or lawns though. I think it looks tacky and it will WILL kill everything...

kebrowns
07-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Now that sounds like an answer I was looking for thanks.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-17-2012, 11:36 PM

kills crabgrass and buckhorn well

use a edger for curbs and walkways driveways

Some threads on here makes me :laugh::laugh:

kebrowns
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
I know what an edger and trimmers are for. however I see people applying it to grass growing thru concrete whether it be the walkway, or driveway. They also spray it around AC units. Just wondering if that's a separate service or not and or were else they apply it besides weeds.

McG_Landscaping
07-17-2012, 11:44 PM
i put it on things i want to kill?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
O.k. i think i understand the question.
Yes for our companycwe would consider this an extra service which is not part of our regular service. We would charge accordingly.
If it is a big spender account we may throw a spraying in for free just to neaten it up,
Hope this answer helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
07-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Mix round-up to desired rate, pour mixture in special color coded ice-cube trays, place in freezer to harden. wait for customer not to pay.

Bingo! night time visit from the LAWN NINJA!!:cool2:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
I know what an edger and trimmers are for. however I see people applying it to grass growing thru concrete whether it be the walkway, or driveway. They also spray it around AC units. Just wondering if that's a separate service or not and or were else they apply it besides weeds.

use a pumper sprayer it free part service when talking serval gals then its a extra fee
You didnt say cracks
Sorry making fun of you

Busa Dave
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Round Up is a non selective herbicide. Anything you spray it on that is foliar is likely to be killed or damaged. The active ingredient salt of glyphosate is likely to be damaging or lethal to the plant it is applied to. This also depends on the strength of application. If you mix the product according to the directions and apply it to grassy type weeds it will burn them down in about 7 to 14 days depending on your growing conditions. The glyphosate type grass killers are formulated primarily for grass and “grassy” type weeds when used at the strengths listed on the label. BE CAREFUL when spraying a clump of crab grass for example because if there is any desirable turf grass in with it will be killed as well.

When using glyphosate in established turf areas it is a pain to do but a “wick” type applicator which is nothing more than a drip of the chemical into a tube that is attached to a sponge type applicator that allows the chemical to be applied to the undesirable vegetation especially when the grassy or rogue grass/weeds are Taller than the surrounding turf. This is a lot more work but will allow you to spot treat more effectively with very little if any collateral damage to the turf area. You may have to do this more than once to get a complete kill but it is an option especially in flower beds where any overspray could cause damage.

There are better types of “weed killers” to be used on broad leafed type weeds (general rule those that flower) that will not harm most turf grasses. The active ingredient in those is 2,4-D ( 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) and is sold by many companies. When buying either of these types of herbicide look at the label and buy the one that has the highest content of the respective active ingredient and most of all read the directions.

Lastly make sure that the areas that you are applying the herbicide to are actively growing because that is the way it is taken into the plant. Dow not mow for a few days(allow 24 hours before watering even if it says that you can water sooner it will work better) to allow the herbicide to be more fully absorbed into the sprayed areas.

Hope this helps. Glyphosate is wicked stuff and will kill grass deader than a door nail if applied correctly. At the ranch sprayed about 80 gallons on a field of coastal Bermuda at the ranch that was so thick you could not walk through it and 14 days later it looked like moonscape with complete burn down. One last tip put a few drops of dishwashing soap or surfactant into your applicator after you mix everything it will break the surface tension of the water allowing for a better dispersion of the chemical on the applied areas and yes I am aware that products say it is already included but my experience indicates that it is not always adequate.

Hope this helps.

eroeder
07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I would be careful around flower beds. Some weeds such as Thistle have long roots that might inter-weave with plant roots. When the round up spreads down to the root and kills the weed it could also go to nearby plants (i.e knock out rose bushes or ornamental trees like japanese maples). Just be mindful as to what is around so not to kill the good plants.

Precision Lawn Services (http://www.precisionlawnservices.com/)

eroeder
07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
A good 2,4-D ( 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) weed control is SpeedZone.

Precision Lawn Services (http://precisionlawnservices.com/)

Busa Dave
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I would be careful around flower beds. Some weeds such as Thistle have long roots that might inter-weave with plant roots. When the round up spreads down to the root and kills the weed it could also go to nearby plants (i.e knock out rose bushes or ornamental trees like japanese maples). Just be mindful as to what is around so not to kill the good plants.

What are you basing that on? Have never seen it. The small amount that is taken in through foliar absorption would not be capable of causing that kind of damage even it the roots were somehow parasitic to each other. Have sprayed well over a thousand gallons of Round Up (my father in law had the license) and have never seen an instance where that happened. Funny you mention thistle because we would always mix 2,4,d with it to get the other stuff because the Round Up would not give good control on a lot of things in a pasture.

LwnmwrMan22
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM

That is not true. I will spray round up on runners of "good" plants and it will kill the runner, but not harm the plant.

Have you ever read the label? Kills down TO the roots it doesn't say anything about killing the roots. This is why on harder plants like Thistle you need to add additional chemicals.

You will get a burndown with roundup, but then you will have regrowth. It's not because new seeds germinated 3 weeks later, it's because you didn't kill the roots.

Most plants can't have the top burned down and still survive, which eventually starves out the root system. That's why you get a kill on 95% of the plants that are sprayed with Roundup.

Round Up kills down to the dirt, not below dirt.

kebrowns
07-20-2012, 12:26 AM
thanks for understanding what i am trying to say your answer helped me a lot.

twowheelted
07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Get a license dude. Not terribly difficult. You should know the difference between selective and non-selective for example. If you care about you business anyway.

Btw, nice site. Looks like you do a lot of pressure washing, I've been thinking about getting that started. I'll trade you some lawn info for pressure washing info. :)

treemonkey
07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Have you ever read the label? Kills down TO the roots it doesn't say anything about killing the roots. This is why on harder plants like Thistle you need to add additional chemicals.

You will get a burndown with roundup, but then you will have regrowth. It's not because new seeds germinated 3 weeks later, it's because you didn't kill the roots.

Most plants can't have the top burned down and still survive, which eventually starves out the root system. That's why you get a kill on 95% of the plants that are sprayed with Roundup.

Round Up kills down to the dirt, not below dirt.

This seems very wrong. Can you provide links to this opinion?

Here is an actual Round up label. Check the bottom of page 2, section 5:
http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/files/pubs/standardlists/labels/6840-01-108-9578_label_roundup_pro.pdf

"This product moves through the plant from its point of foliage contact to and into the root system."

Seems you are confusing the definition of contact herbicide with systemic herbicide. Scythe is a good example of what you describe.

How do you think Round up kills perennial quack grass? It travels down to the roots (rhizomes, actually) and kills them.

treemonkey
07-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Edit time expired, sorry. Go to section 8.1 of the label regarding cut stump treatments to woody plants. Roundup translocates into the root system to kill the entire plant (not as well as Garlon, though).

Yes, its important to read the label and understand how this stuff really works. Don't trust the internet, even on a professional forum.

rlitman
07-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Roundup translocates somewhat. I know that spraying the diluted amount on pokeweed on my property will burn down the plant, but a new one will spring up almost overnight.

Then I found instructions from a Cooperative Extension online about how to deal with this.
The roundup will translocate, but if only a small amount is applied to the leaves, not enough makes it down to a massive root system. For plants with large root balls, like pokeweed, diluted roundup sprayed on the leaves just doesn't kill the roots.
So, I cut the stem a little above the ground, and apply undiluted roundup concentrate directly to the cut, with a dropper. Problem gone.

treemonkey
07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
That's an awesome idea for pesky Pokeweed. Thank you.

I had some pokeweed get ahead of me in our tree nursery this spring that I could not foliar spray due to crop proximity. I used some semi-diluted roundup and manually applied it to about 1/3 of the leaves with a modified wick applicator. It killed them completely.

Your idea sounds much easier.

Some tough weeds with leathery leaves can be resistant to Roundup take up. A bit of ammonium sulphate added to the tank will help it absorb better (not sure what the mode of action here, whether it conditions the water or helps it penetrate the leaf cuticle).

A few weeks ago I learned that the label is correct about drought stressed plants. I sprayed some broadleaf weeds like mares tail and they laughed at it. Lesson learned.

Ric
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Don't forget section 8.2 Chemical Mowing and select weed control in Active Growing Bermuda. Roundup was discovered by Dr. John Franz of Monsanto as a accident. Dr Franz was working on a Growth Regulator which in fact Roundup is in the correct proportions. Used on Pensacola Bahia it stops seed head production and acts as a Growth regulator with out ill effects to the Bahia. Bermuda grass growth is also slowed. Case in point My own Bermuda yard was cut 8 times last year and my grass was never over 6 inches tall. Don't take my word for it Google Chemical Mowing and Diamond Wet Blade.

jvanvliet
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I apply it the Golden Coral :drinkup:

Ric
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I apply it the Golden Coral :drinkup:.

Having seen your Picture, The Golden Coral is no surprise. I am sure you get more than your money's worth.

Patriot Services
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I apply it the Golden Coral :drinkup:

Is that the area between your legs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Mix round-up to desired rate, pour mixture in special color coded ice-cube trays, place in freezer to harden. wait for customer not to pay.

Bingo! night time visit from the LAWN NINJA!!:cool2:

I think I got my trays mixed up. The gatorade has tasted like shizz lately and everybody is complaining their hair is falling out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
What's roundup?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-24-2012, 07:57 PM
What's roundup?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a bar where you wear chaps and underpants.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a bar where you wear chaps and underpants.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ohhh....where the village people go...
Posted via Mobile Device