PDA

View Full Version : house demo

OhioMowerGuy
07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey guys I have a house that I will be demo'ing soon. The original plan was to have the fire department burn it, but its too dry for that and ill be losing some trees that give some good privacy. Anyways I was wondering how many 40 yd cans ill need? Its a old 3 story victorian (3rd story is the attic) square footage is around 1800. The foundation and basement floor is getting tore up, collapsed and buried. Any tips? This will be my first house demo. Im renting a deere 160 hoe or borrowing a cat 330 hoe. What do you guys do with the old well?

tailboardtech
07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Just a wild guess since your sq foot is messing me up I would say minimum 8 cans. The brick rancher I live in is 1600 sq ft and that house is 2 stories? And When I demo a house the whole thing goes foundation and all if you ever have to dig through an old house you will understand why. knock it into the foundation and use the basement to crunch the derby up before you put it in the cans
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
07-17-2012, 11:09 PM
I hope its not 8 cans haha. That would get expensive to haul out the foundation too, all the companies I called have a 6 ton limit in their cans... I think it was 6 ill have to look at my papers. I have 10 acres... plenty of room to bury the foundation. To be honest I was hoping to get away with 4 cans, im gonna burn a little bit of it, some of the clean wood. Also the house is fully gutted, nothing is in it, no drywall, no windows. Basically its just studs, outside walls, and shingles.

KrayzKajun
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
why not go dig a hole in the back of your ten acres and bury the house in it.

Dirtman2007
07-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Strike the almighty match says the Dirtman!:drinkup:

knox gsl
07-17-2012, 11:52 PM
It needs to "accidently" burn down.

Cornell
07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Good luck fitting it in 6 cans is all I'm saying, especially with the 6 ton per can limit. It adds up quick.

Also I have a hard time believing you're just going to bury the concrete. Around here we have to remove everything.

ksss
07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Here we also have to have an asbestos contractor check the building and confirm that it is free of asbestos.

If its not to late, you might want to make a deal with the customer that he pays for the cans whatever it takes is what it takes. I dont use those cans here but I try to have the customer pay for dump fees whenever possible. Takes the most difficult portion of the estimate out of the equation. Usually you have pad the tonnage to cover yourself, so either the customer pays more than he had to or you pay to dump someone elses building. If the customer pays the actual cost its fair for everyone.

Make sure all utilities are off and located. Becareful of the gas lines. Sometimes they pull the meter but the line is still live next to the house. make sure its cut and capped at away from the building.

Take the time to really crumble the debris. The more pieces its in, the less space it will take in your truck or in this case, can.

I like to have water on site, both in case of fire and dust control. Sometimes it with a water truck or hydrant if possible.

The 330 would be nice if possible but a 160 is enough machine as well.

I know this sounds simple but its easy to lose track of were the basement is once the house is knocked down. I have seen 3 excavators take a tumble in the basement. It happens dont let it happen to you, especially if your renting or borrowing a machine.

AWJ Services
07-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Why have a 40yd can and a 6 ton limit?
Defeats the purpose of having the extra 10 yds over a 30?

Like KSSS said here you have to have a lead and asbestos abatement letter.
Alot of siding used here was asbestos.

bobcat_ron
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Pound all the wood you can into each bin, we pound so hard we don't stop until it bulges.
Posted via Mobile Device

Impact-Vector
07-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Look for concrete recyclers for the foundations. They often charge less to drop off a can for concrete only.

OhioMowerGuy
07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. KSSS, its my personal project.. not a job I was hired for. Ill be builing a house on the land in the coming years. The cat 330 doesnt have a thumb, The 160 would have one. The house is free of asbestos, I already have that letter in my hand. There is no siding on the house, I scrapped the aluminum siding. Cans do have a 6 ton limit, you can go over but they charge for it. The foundation is big stones that were mortared together in 1875 when the house was built. If I wanted to haul the concrete floor out I could take it to the gravel pit 1 mile down the road for free with my 1 ton dump. There is no gas, everyone uses propane tanks in that area. Electric was disconnected from the house already. Bobcat ron, I plan to really pack the cans full lol. Advanced Wall, why cant you bury concrete? Also, do I need a demo permit and where do I go for it?

tailboardtech
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Concrete and foundation materials in most states are cocidered a landfill/ recycling item if you burry it and get cought they will fine you for an illegal landfill + if you have to dig through the stuff years later it's a complete biotch. You can get the demo permits from you county/ town you want them if you don't you will still be paying taxes for the house Just without it there
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
07-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Pack them right full and don't stop until the welds start popping!

lazor-cut
07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/19/196317-a-huge-bonfire-which-is-the-high-point-of-the-traditional-valborgsafton-celebration-vannas-sweden.jpg

invite the neighbors over and make a party out of it! If you invite them all, no one will have time to call you out on it. Gonna suck filling up 6 dumpsters of JUST Wood. I would even place an add on Craigslist asking if anyone on a farm or something would be willing to take it....YA NEVER KNOW!

YellowDogSVC
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/19/196317-a-huge-bonfire-which-is-the-high-point-of-the-traditional-valborgsafton-celebration-vannas-sweden.jpg

invite the neighbors over and make a party out of it! If you invite them all, no one will have time to call you out on it. Gonna suck filling up 6 dumpsters of JUST Wood. I would even place an add on Craigslist asking if anyone on a farm or something would be willing to take it....YA NEVER KNOW!

if there is anything antique in that house that's salvagable, a little time and hand work might get you some extra $$$. I demoed an old house once that had some antique doors and windows and was paid for them even though they weren't in good condition.
Ditto for wood, flooring, stairs, rails, etc. That stuff is used by antique/furniture restores for period pieces and can be quite valuable to the right person.

Good luck. Be careful with a 3 story...

AEL
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
First time demoing a house and it's a three storey? Be very very careful. Not sure how much experience you have running an ex but a lot can go wrong really quickly. Be safe .
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Im alright on a excavator, not as good as some of you guys though lol, im only 24. I have a 2011 bobcat E35. Ive got seat time on deere 120s and a komatsu pc400 too. We sold everything that was worth money out of the house, old doors, windows, trim, etc. Was a pain in the ass but between that and scrapping ive got a few thousand out of it so far. Im gonna check with the guy down the road from me, he has alot of machinery and knows my family real well, might be cheaper for him to knock it down vs. me renting a 160 for 2 days.

bobcat_ron
07-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Gnaw away at the bottom and let gravity do the work, but make sure you have an escape exit too.
This was a barn I did years back in 2009, damn near 50 feet at the peak, I still get jittery every time I have to take any building down higher than I can reach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DT--vJ_MIc

AEL
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Mabee have your neighbor knock the building down and you can do the cleanup?
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Nice video. Thats what I was thinking TSS, Ill have to talk tothe neighbor, he's a excavating contractor. Dont think ill be able to pack the cans to well with a E35. At least I have a thumb on it. I could stack the clean wood and have enough wood for bonfires for the next year though, that'll save me some money.

Krafty
07-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Pack them right full and don't stop until the welds start popping!

So you are the a hole I hate that has been tearing the snot out of my dumpsters... Lol that's why we take credit cards up front....

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
what part of ohio are you from? 6 ton limits are crap for 40yd cans, cleveland area is higher than that.

OhioMowerGuy
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I live imbetween akron and cleveland. All the places I called were out of akron and ravenna. Do you know of any places out of southern cuyahoga or southern geauga?

knox gsl
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
what part of ohio are you from? 6 ton limits are crap for 40yd cans, cleveland area is higher than that.

6 tons sucks, I needed a can last summer, 40 yards and told me I was good as long as it wasn't over the sides and the truck could pick it up.

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Check with fabrizi, toss, and haul-away dont have any weight limits last time we dealt with em. We are in cleveland by 480/77 junction
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks ill look into them

OhioMowerGuy
07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
How long does it typically take for a demo permit to go through?

tailboardtech
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
That's a wide open question generally around here a week or two or three or four........... Plus the environmental studies to make sure you don't have any flying tree turtles within a 1000 miles yadda yadda and so on
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
07-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Thats what I figured, I need to go get that done soon so I can take it down around labor day.

jmacd
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
In my state the building needs to be abated first before any demo. Just something to check into. Big fines if this is the case and you don't follow the rules.

OhioMowerGuy
09-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Update.. Permits were pulled and the house came down last weekend. Had plenty of machines there, 2 mini ex's w/ thumbs, a S185 skid loader, and a Cat 330BL. Pics will be up soon.

AWJ Services
09-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Update.. Permits were pulled and the house came down last weekend. Had plenty of machines there, 2 mini ex's w/ thumbs, a S185 skid loader, and a Cat 330BL. Pics will be up soon.

Sounds like it was a fun job. Cannot wait to see the pics.

OhioMowerGuy
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
First pic is me tearing up the old barn foundation

OhioMowerGuy
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM

OhioMowerGuy
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM

OhioMowerGuy
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Hope you all enjoy

OhioMowerGuy
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I have many more pics that my mom took but they wont upload, these are all my cell phone pics.

ARP
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Looks like a fun job!

OhioMowerGuy
09-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks Andrew, its a personal project, ill be building new there in the coming years. Hows business? I saw you got a new F450... its a sharp lookin truck.

Impact-Vector
09-10-2012, 11:26 PM
For this website I'm surprised there isn't more fire pictured..:dancing:

OhioMowerGuy
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
I was gonna have the fire department torch it but I would have lost all the trees at the front of my property, which would have opened it up for everyone to see. Its nice and secluded now.