PDA

View Full Version : upselling grub and disease protection

grassmasterswilson
07-17-2012, 09:57 PM
So i'm in the research process and looking for tips on upselling additional programs...

fungicides - heritage and headway fungicides. 3 applications for brown patch or large patch prevention. Keys are simple. in warm season keeps the lawn green and thick. in fescue helps keep the lawn greener longer before the heat takes them out.

grubs - imacloprid? 1 time app? Obviously take care of grubs. deters moles and voles? not sure of the residual on the product or others, but maybe helps with home pest(around here the leading pest company only treats 20 feet out from home).

I'm looking to add and push these upsells next year and want to get my program and marketing online and ready. I know many of you have some opinions.

Landscape Poet
07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
So i'm in the research process and looking for tips on upselling additional programs...

fungicides - heritage and headway fungicides. 3 applications for brown patch or large patch prevention. Keys are simple. in warm season keeps the lawn green and thick. in fescue helps keep the lawn greener longer before the heat takes them out.

grubs - imacloprid? 1 time app? Obviously take care of grubs. deters moles and voles? not sure of the residual on the product or others, but maybe helps with home pest(around here the leading pest company only treats 20 feet out from home).

I'm looking to add and push these upsells next year and want to get my program and marketing online and ready. I know many of you have some opinions.

My questions is that these are all considered standard for companies to offer down here. If you gain a account you are expected to control pest, fert the lawn, control lawn diseases. It is just normal down here for all that to be included so are you not able to just raise your rates per K and let your customers know your cost increase is because you are addressing their pest and diseases?

To me it mystifies me why any reputable PCO operation is expected to do whatever it takes to make the customers lawns looks its best all the time ..yet elsewhere it is not?

Could you not make yourself stand out by raising your prices per K and covering everything your clients turf need ro look their best so they stand out compared to others?

grassmasterswilson
07-17-2012, 10:14 PM
In the past I have always treated on an ad needed basis. I then identify the problem and treat.

Until now now many request for these treatments until a problem shows up. I would love for it to be standard in my program. While some would be ok with an additional 4 apps others would question it. I'm already on a 6 app Fert and squirt program.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
In the past I have always treated on an ad needed basis. I then identify the problem and treat.

Until now now many request for these treatments until a problem shows up. I would love for it to be standard in my program. While some would be ok with an additional 4 apps others would question it. I'm already on a 6 app Fert and squirt program.
Posted via Mobile Device

6 app is pretty standard down here too so I do not know why any additional apps would be needed. Follows are free if needed by most reputable companies. If a company simple did not offer it down here they would not have a good customer retention rate.

Again for guys like yourself were this is not common place in your area - I think it only allow for you to be able to make yourself stand out so much more from everyone else and gain the business that goes along with it.

Maybe test your customers to see if they would be willing to pay a little extra to ensure everything is covered.

grassmasterswilson
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Poet I'd be interested in hearing more on how you do things. Do you offer a 6 step Fert and weed program then a grub app and 2-3 fungicide apps? Some combo apps?

I treat both warm and cool season turf so I have different programs on each. So too many specific apps could stretch me too thin. For example grubs are treated around June here. I could add merit to my Fert on warm season. Cool season gets nothing but a brown patch app so maybe need to do a liquid hub app ?

It can get all confusing here. Wish we had one type or the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grasssales2001
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
IPM. Have you heard of it? Why charge a customer for something they don't need.

Do you like it when a mechanic tries to upsell you?

grassmasterswilson
07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I've heard of it and been doing it.

I've also read a couple of studies from my local university about treating for large patch in warm season. They say to treat preventatively. 1-2 apps in the fall when soil temps hit 70 a. Then 1 app in spring. All of those apps would be applied before sign were eer seen. Aroun here once a disease shows its face it's little too late.

I got the impression that poet charge his customers a price that included anything needed. So I was wondering how you would budget for a disease or grub app I you didn't know whether it would be needed or not.

Posted via Mobile Device

Grasssales2001
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
How many properties did you have large patch problems on this year? I can see upselling it if the customer had a history of insect and didease problem?

Landscape Poet
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Poet I'd be interested in hearing more on how you do things. Do you offer a 6 step Fert and weed program then a grub app and 2-3 fungicide apps? Some combo apps?

I treat both warm and cool season turf so I have different programs on each. So too many specific apps could stretch me too thin. For example grubs are treated around June here. I could add merit to my Fert on warm season. Cool season gets nothing but a brown patch app so maybe need to do a liquid hub app ?

It can get all confusing here. Wish we had one type or the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMW,

I am only licensed to care for shrubs so I sub it out so I can only give you limited information. I have used different companies to sub it out to overtime and each handle their approach differently. Some want to use the IPM approach and only address a issue when it arises. Others that I use take a more proactive approach because they offer sod replacement guarantee while on their program and the cost of SA is just too expensive.
My current sub is one that offers the sod replacement and this is there approach. The tend to do blanket preventative apps for pest like cinch bugs. For fungal issues it depends on the type of fungus. Dollar Spot and Brown patch tends to be treat as needed unless for example the property has a history of BP and I have a general idea of areas. They map and keep on file the history of BP and will use preventative apps when the history is known. GLS they tend to treat with blanket apps again if they know the history of the neighborhood or I/they have history of the property. Webworms etc are treated of course if the pop up.

Hope that helps but I am sure a FL PCO could guide you in the right direction as what they do. From what I understand though our price per K here is generally higher than what you guys get, at least cool season turf part. For example it is not uncommon for me to charge north of $18 a K and although that is on the higher end of the market I know of companies charging more.

Landscape Poet
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
My question to both of you is you are in locations with St. Augustine, with the array of diseases and pest that can damage SA, your customers are accepting of these not being controlled? IE cinch bugs and BP.

grassmasterswilson
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM
My question to both of you is you are in locations with St. Augustine, with the array of diseases and pest that can damage SA, your customers are accepting of these not being controlled? IE cinch bugs and BP.

I have very few st aug lawns. I'm seeing more people who have shade and tired of the fescue looking bad switching over to st aug.

Up here heat and brown patch take a tole of the fescue. It often doesn't make it through the season green. I was thinking about taking a proactive approach with 2-3 applications for BP. Local professors say that he has seen fescue make it further into the year with the applications. So is the cost of the applications worth helping fescue last longer? I'm not sure.

I've also seen problems with large patch especially in centipede. It shows up in the fall and spring. So the same professore recommends 2-3 applications based on the past history. If the disease shows up in the fall it often goes dormant before it can fill back in. So again a proactive approach would prevent this.

With the price of fungicides at about $4-5 per 1000 for heritage it is a little pricey and will the customer be ok with the additional cost? I think I could sell this if the customer was a monthly mow and application customer, but many pay per app.

humble1
07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't upsell grub, you get it or we don't treat your yard, we used to offer as an add on, customer didn't want it, got grubs and bad mouthed us. Never going thru that again!
Posted via Mobile Device