PDA

View Full Version : Job I didn't get

BradLewisLawnCare
07-18-2012, 08:40 AM
So, I am friends with this person on facebook and grabbed this picture. Because I was not in her budget and she paid a seasonal snow plowing price (wanted money back due to lack of snow. She said "So I'm just out the money?) rather than a per push, she did not hire me for this job.

So I figured I'd put the picture up here so we can all learn from this persons work. The fire pit and landscaping are coming today I guess... So they'll just place pit on patio and then hope that the stone dust is compacted 100% so it doesn't start settling.

scagrider22
07-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Haha nice work!

jwilkers2vt
07-18-2012, 06:55 PM
As long as it looks good on the surface, no one knows...right? Get in, get out, get paid. There is no way that dust is packed

KrayzKajun
07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
holy crap!!!! looks like it was built ontop of volcano ash!:dizzy::laugh:

BradLewisLawnCare
07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Idk. I sent her a message re: the proper base compaction. I am hoping she hears, then doesn't pay final amount an has me come fix it.

What is the guy thinking? It's never going to erode away? The snapedge is not a retaining wall.

The fire pit placed on top will surely settle unless thy guy used his skidsteer to pack that stone dust.

I feel bad for her, but serves her right for being frugal and not listening when people are talking to her.

Looks like she will be out the money for this patio.lmao
Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
It looks like he probably does have a modified stone base, but used screenings for the setting bed. If the grade is fixed around the patio, may not be as bad as you would think, but it also may.

BradLewisLawnCare
07-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Well in each case I'm just jealous I couldn't do the job. Let's be honest. I'm sure the landscaping includes topsoil and plant material around the backside.

I've seen the way the dust can settle on a couple jobs I have redone on account of other guys. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. But your right, might take a while
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Idk. I sent her a message re: the proper base compaction. I am hoping she hears, then doesn't pay final amount an has me come fix it.

What is the guy thinking? It's never going to erode away? The snapedge is not a retaining wall.

The fire pit placed on top will surely settle unless thy guy used his skidsteer to pack that stone dust.

I feel bad for her, but serves her right for being frugal and not listening when people are talking to her.

Looks like she will be out the money for this patio.lmao
Posted via Mobile Device

I make alotta sales by not doing retaining walls. Not all patios that are on sloped ground needs a wall. Take railroad beds for example - they don't have walls holding the beds together.

You simply import soil, backfill along patio, and taper out into the yard.

Our first couPle patios were done on dust. They are still intact.

Well my friend - the pic shows a small patio. You're dwelling on a small job too much. Go have fun doing whatever you like to do when you're not working and enjoy life. If she wants to spend her money on garbage work, and doesn't do her homework - that's her choice. You're not going to benefit at this point, so just put it out if your mind.

And yeah - you may wanna rethink doing seasonal snow contracts - its already cost you one patio sale :)

Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
this deserves the hack thread. look down the right side, must be 3 or 4 inches out of straight

zedosix
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
That patio is pathetic, hope she is happy.

jbailey52
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
I never did understand not using a border of a full paver, either a soldier or sailor course. I can understand someone who is very inexperienced, but even thought the practices here are not up to par you can tell thphey have some experience. How anyone can leave the cut curve as the edge I can never understand

DVS Hardscaper
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I never did understand not using a border of a full paver, either a soldier or sailor course. I can understand someone who is very inexperienced, but even thought the practices here are not up to par you can tell thphey have some experience. How anyone can leave the cut curve as the edge I can never understand

Look at my website. You'll see many a jobs with no border.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
No border is getting quite popular with the larger stone available.

jbailey52
07-20-2012, 06:49 AM
True with the larger stones, didn't really think of that. I don't think I have ever done a walkway/patio without some type of border.

DVS Hardscaper
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
True with the larger stones, didn't really think of that. I don't think I have ever done a walkway/patio without some type of border.

Borders are nice for a clean contempory design. Usually the client is an accountant and likes square corners, straight lines.

But if the setting is natural, rustic or supposed to have old world charm - then no borders. Mother nature doesn't deal in clean edges.

Darryl G
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks like one good downpour would have disasterous results.

BradLewisLawnCare
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Should have seen this back yard with hurricane Irene. The foundation was flooded 1 foot below sills and this patio would have been under 2 feet of water from the wynantskill creek running 100 feet behind the patio.

Agape
07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
:laugh:I think I would typically install the retaining wall first.....THEN the patio.