PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bermuda in my St Augustine?

Scott_WPB_FL
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I've spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out what this grassy weed is and I think it might be Bermuda grass. It grows sparsely in a couple of small patches 2-4 ft diameter where it has thinned the St Aug and I see a larger area in my neighbor's lawn right by the edge of mine. These patches are on the same side of my lawn, but not close together really.

Is my identification correct? And if it is Bermuda is the only option roundup and resod? Is Atrazine useful here or a waste of time? What cultural practices control this in St Aug? It seems to grow as tall as the Augustine grass and be more drought resistant.

Thanks for any help,
Scott_WPB_FL

MS_SURVEYOR
07-18-2012, 11:42 AM
This is Bermuda.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yXxFVDZ3Q28/S_0oxoanC9I/AAAAAAAAAO0/bVu7A6FlQ-0/s1600/bermuda-wars-4.jpg

Scott_WPB_FL
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Ms_Surveyor, that picture looks close enough to what I see that I can't rule it out. I don't know why my first sample has such wiry leaves. I took a picture second sample which has very thin blades but not so wiry in case it helps anyone ID it. I think the first sample got a bit dehydrated maybe.

I think the seed head shown in the original photos is consistent with Bermuda.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Yep! That's Bermuda.

Landscape Poet
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Scott, That is bermuda. I am not aware of anything that will take it out of SA without killing the SA also. If your neighbor has it, you will have it. IMHO it is a much stronger turf than SA.
Cultural practices - remove from the neighbors lawn and pray it does not come back. Generally it seems that I find it most often in lawns where the irrigation is not up to par and is a spot that receives full sun exposure or is a hot area.

If the area is still small in your lawn ...you could try wiping Round Up on it carefully trying to do as much damage to the SA as you can and trying to push the growth of the SA to close in before the Bermuda comes back.

easy-lift guy
07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Get use to it, you will never remove it from the lawn in question, yes it is Bermuda.
easy-lift guy

Grassman67
07-21-2012, 05:02 PM
It has always been my experience that St Augustine will finally choke out bermuda, if the St Augustine is healthy. Am I wrong on this?

easy-lift guy
07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
It has always been my experience that St Augustine will finally choke out bermuda, if the St Augustine is healthy. Am I wrong on this?

I believe you are incorrect. I have never seen waht you have described happen in 31 years in the business. Location: SW Florida.
easy-lift guy

Popeye77
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I believe you are incorrect. I have never seen waht you have described happen in 31 years in the business. Location: SW Florida.
easy-lift guy

Well I got news for ya. My neighbors St. Augustine has taken over about a 1/4 of my back yard that was Bermuda.

easy-lift guy
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Well I got news for ya. My neighbors St. Augustine has taken over about a 1/4 of my back yard that was Bermuda.

Total Irradication will not occur. Don't hold your breath based
on winning One battle. Bermuda will always maintain the upper hand. It is really that tough!
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device

Popeye77
07-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Winning???
Heck, I'm losing the battle!! I really would like to spray it and kill it. Only reason I haven't done it is he is downhill and am worried about the runoff killing his.

easy-lift guy
07-21-2012, 07:47 PM
You have a genuine concern about any run off issues. Nice to know your considerate of your customers neighbor. Good on you.
easy-lift guy

Grasssales2001
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
You can supress bermuda in St. Aug with poa constrictor or prograss. Cut the St. Aug high. But ,yea your fighting an uphill battle.

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
easy-lift guy

I second this...nothing chokes out Bermuda except multiple applications of chemicals. If SA is taking over Bermuda it's because the Bermuda is weak from growing in the shade.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
It is crazy to try and keep st augustine if it is going to be starved, scalped, dried out, all in the blazing sun. It might as well be bermuda if that is how the lawn will be managed. Now I do not feel so bad. At least the right grass for the conditions of the site is used most of the time. No one in their right mind keeps st augustine in full sun here in Hawaii.

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
On the other hand, bone headed is trying to keep zoysia or bermuda under trees or on the sides of adjoining structures. It does not work.

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 06:44 PM
On the other hand, bone headed is trying to keep zoysia or bermuda under trees or on the sides of adjoining structures. It does not work.

This happens far too often around here...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
It is crazy to try and keep st augustine if it is going to be starved, scalped, dried out, all in the blazing sun. It might as well be bermuda if that is how the lawn will be managed. Now I do not feel so bad. At least the right grass for the conditions of the site is used most of the time. No one in their right mind keeps st augustine in full sun here in Hawaii.
St aug is used in full sun all day here...works well too...if cut at 4"+...
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Works well where? Where there is no ridiculous restrictions on fertilization and watering? I can keep st augustine fine in full sun, but that is incumbent on my fertilizing and watering according to what the turf needs and not how the tree huggers tell me how to do it.

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Works well where? Where there is no ridiculous restrictions on fertilization and watering? I can keep st augustine fine in full sun, but that is incumbent on my fertilizing and watering according to what the turf needs and not how the tree huggers tell me how to do it.
We don't have fert/water restrictions in my county...it's only certain counties in Florida...like I said, does just fine provided guys cut it high.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Good. I can guarantee nothing on st augustine if it is cut below 3", not even in the shade. In fact, cutting it low in the shade guarantees that a mud lawn is in the future.

Landscape Poet
07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
You can supress bermuda in St. Aug with poa constrictor or prograss. Cut the St. Aug high. But ,yea your fighting an uphill battle.

Read the label for this prograss product - it list SA as being safe but only for the raleigh cultivator . Do you have experience using on other cultivators.

Grasssales2001
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Ethofumisate is the ai in both. I've used it on palmetto.

Landscape Poet
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Ethofumisate is the ai in both. I've used it on palmetto.

Interesting ...thanks for the info :dancing: