PDA

View Full Version : Tree Watering

Wiedmann
07-20-2012, 01:29 AM
With a the drought we are seeing in my area I've had some interest in having trees watered. I've been looking on here but can't find of any talk about it being part of anyones business.

I'm stuck at what I could charge to perform this service. I have one job where I have 34 trees and 21 bushes to water. I can drive relatively close to them. it seems like it can be a pretty profitable business. When I think of this job I think they have thousands of dollars in trees so they are dumb not to water them. Anyone performing any services like this?

Smallaxe
07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I only water trees in critical areas, typically when mowing or am there already for other reasons... as a separate business it will be difficult to get money for doing that from most h.o.s, I think...

Duekster
07-20-2012, 08:25 AM
It depends on the age of the tree, size of the tree and how long it has been established. Yes, I will water trees, particularly those that have not been in the ground long.

In extreme drought even large trees need water, a very good soaking at least 1 per month.

Wiedmann
07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
these trees I'm looking at are fairly new. I would guess most less than 3 years old. They all have dead leaves on them. Seems like they aren't going to make it unless they get some water.

Coffeecraver
07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
these trees I'm looking at are fairly new. I would guess most less than 3 years old. They all have dead leaves on them. Seems like they aren't going to make it unless they get some water.

If all the leaves on the trees are dead then they are too far gone for water

GreenI.A.
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
If all the leaves on the trees are dead then they are too far gone for water

actually many trees will drop their leaves in extreme drought in an effort to compensate for the lack of water. This allows them to use the little water that is available to maintain through the drought. A better test of how the drought is effecting the trees is to cut some twigs to see if they are still alive or if they are dead.

As far as watering, we have set up a number of temporary irrigation systems for newer landscape beds

Coffeecraver
07-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Leaves that are dead and leaves that have dropped are different.
dead leaves are dead leaves
leaves that have dropped are not there

ed2hess
07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
We watered a lot of trees last year.....dumped about 15 gal on each tree used a shindawa pump on a 250 gal tank. We didn't charge because we weren't mowing so did this for customers on HOA properties. Could not get any hotel to sign up for us to water their flowers at $25 a day. This year I got 31 flower beds on two HOAs and I have a 60 gal tank. Use this to water replants and fertilize and any extra watering between watering days.

Dr.NewEarth
07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
If you can convince people that "Water Stress" will attract bad insects that will damage their trees, then you could be on to some-thing.

Duekster
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Yes, to clarify, if the tree drops leaves that is a decent sign it is reacting to stress but it can only do that once maybe twice per season.

Dead leaves holding on are a bad sign.

I would water the 3 year old trees a minimum of 1 per month in a drought if it gets some turf irrigation. Twice per month if it gets no irrigation.

I like 3 oz of Superthrive and PCH Tree fertilizer at 1/2 strength per 100 gallons ( get the one with low N). Use an injector and feed 8 to 12 inches deep.

I would consider 10 gallons per Caliper inch to be a minimum per watering when watering twice per month.

I inject about 1 quart on 2 feet OC under the canopy and more around the feeder roots.

If it gets irrigation then I stay the same but hit once or twice a summer

Smallaxe
07-21-2012, 09:25 AM

That is correct... trees that are alive form the abscission layer as it sucks what ever it can out of the leaf... a dying tree can't do that, becuz its dying... I watch that happen just last year...

Duekster
07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
That is correct... trees that are alive form the abscission layer as it sucks what ever it can out of the leaf... a dying tree can't do that, becuz its dying... I watch that happen just last year...

If you saw it happening, why didn't you water the tree?