PDA

View Full Version : ford 7.3 problem

vaacutabove
07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I bought a 97 7.3 with a dump on it what I think is a good price. It needed Reverse gear and a synchronizer no problem. However It does not have a lot of acceleration It is turbo but Im not sure what the problem is. Any Ideas. keep in mind I am not a mechanic but can hold my own just my first diesel

dieseltech
07-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Any other specifics besides "not alot of acceleration"?
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
07-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Old and/or low oil level, dirty fuel filter, restricted exhaust, exhaust leak before turbo, turbo not spooling up, charge air leak (lines or cooler). To many possibilities without knowing more info.
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
This week oil and filters will be changed. Just wondering if there was a common problem. I only get 10mpgthem loaded or not. I just got it not to long ago. Only has 140 k on it
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
The check engine light came on while pulling hills today but went off wen its turned off. If that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
07-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Go to a diesel shop, and have them check it out. Post yur question on powerstrokenation.com
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
07-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Was it at wide open throttle or pretty close to it when the light came on ? Did you put you hand over the exhaust and feel what's coming out. Any loud hissing noises while under throttle??
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
If its a 97 with a dump, I would assume its got a 4.10 rear. Maybe even a 4.56. If thats the case, you wont get much acceleration out of it, its geared low for heavy loads, and only makes about 160 hp tops. You need to check by the firewall and see if you see any soot around the turbo area, and check where the exhaust manifolds meet the up-pipes and up-pipes meet the y collector at the turbo.

You can rule out any oil issues as a 7.3 wont run on low oil, since it uses a high pressure oil pump to fire the injectors.

Fuel pressure could be low also, which is a simple fix. One good way to check and make sure you are getting fuel is to take the cover off of the fuel bowl. The fuel bowl is located underneath the cover at the front of the motor (where it says 7.3 powerstroke) Lift the cover up, and you will see a round black plastic cover about 4-5 inches in diameter. There will be a sqaure in the middle of it, where you will insert a 1/2 drive ratchet. Pull this off and make sure the bowl is full of fuel. Replace your filter while its out. When you replace it, make sure you only have ONE o-ring on the cover, otherwise it wont seal and you will spray diesel everywhere.

Also make a trip to autozone and have them read the code, and come post it here and I will tell you what it is and how to fix it.

7.3's are some of the easiest motors to work on, so just post a little more info and Im sure we can get it all figured out.

KrayzKajun
07-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Bravo! Good post doug. You find tht bucket of lights yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
07-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Bravo! Good post doug. You find tht bucket of lights yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

ope, actually just got in from looking. Its around somewhere:dizzy:

vaacutabove
07-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Does it only throw the code when the check engine light is on?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
07-22-2012, 01:33 PM
No, you can get some soft codes also. The code you are currently getting sounds like an HPOP issue. The high pressure oil pump (HPOP) pressurizes the oil that the injectors use to fire. When you get on it hard, you are dropping below a set pressure and throwing a code, and also losing power. You need to get those codes read before I can help you with it any further. Without those codes its just a shot in the dark as to what is wrong.

vaacutabove
07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
As soon as it throws the light again ill let u know thanks again for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
07-22-2012, 04:17 PM
May have to take it to a real shop to get the codes read. I had an issue with mine and they couldn't read the code. Found out there are certain codes that they can't get. Mine ended up being an open circuit in the right bank injector harness.

When you are changing the oil and fuel filter change the oil in the HPOP resivoir. That us the rectangle block in front if the fuel filter that has the hex head plug. Remove the plug and use a vacuum pump to pull the old oil. After its empty start truck and run it for about five minutes then do it again. Repeat process until you have clean oil in the reservoir.
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
K thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
May have to take it to a real shop to get the codes read. I had an issue with mine and they couldn't read the code. Found out there are certain codes that they can't get. Mine ended up being an open circuit in the right bank injector harness.

When you are changing the oil and fuel filter change the oil in the HPOP resivoir. That us the rectangle block in front if the fuel filter that has the hex head plug. Remove the plug and use a vacuum pump to pull the old oil. After its empty start truck and run it for about five minutes then do it again. Repeat process until you have clean oil in the reservoir.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not true at all, ALL codes can be read by any scanner. Also, it is absolutely NOT necessary to change your hpop oil :hammerhead: That little bit wont hurt anything at all. There is way more dirty oil thorughout all the passageways in the rest of your motor than there is in the hpop res. You are wasting your time doing so.

CLARK LAWN
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
No not all codes can be read by all scanners. "P" codes cannot be read by an ordinary code reader. I had to use a Genesis reader to access these.

As for the HPOP oil yes it will make a difference. That is the only oil that the HPOP pump uses. I work as a heavy truck mechanic at an International dealer, who made the 7.3, we get 444's in all the time that the HPOP reservoir oil is like tar. I have seen it trash the HPOP in a few. Granted those motors had several hundred thousand miles on them. I can read alot more engine info through the J1939 connector that is on medium and graveyard duty trucks than you can read with the OBD2 connector on you light duty trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Hope you have better luck with your 97' 7.3 then I did. Bought mine with 125K. Got a check engine light and it was because the tranny was going down hill. At 173K the crank started to walk around and the engine was toast. The 7.3 is the Holly Grail for Ford guys but the engine can't hold a candle to the 5.9's stronger block, pistons, rods, bearings, and everything else. This is why multiple companies make kits to swap out 7.3's, 6.0's, and 6.4's for 5.9's. Hopefully you just have a minor issue. Let us know.

vaacutabove
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Hope so plan on working w it this week some we will see.
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
So I have set aside half the day tomorrow and all day Fri. this is my list of stuff to do/ Replace.

Oil filter
Fuel filter
screen on drivers side of fuel bowl
Fuel pressure
Gut the cat
butterfly valve behind turbo think Im going to take it completely out and plug it.
Oil pressure have to see how I can check that.

Anything else y'all can think of.

vaacutabove
07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
turbo spins but does have a little back and forth in it.

CLARK LAWN
07-26-2012, 01:57 AM
How much is a little?
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
07-26-2012, 02:27 AM
turbo spins but does have a little back and forth in it.

Back and forth on the shaft is likely normal play. It's the up and down play that should not be there. I sold an S300 turbo I had used for a year and the purchaser asked me the same question.

vaacutabove
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Not much at all
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
07-26-2012, 03:24 PM
In and out, as long as its not hitting the housing it should be okay. Use a light and inspect the outside edges of the turbine closely, any damage replace the turbo. If there is any amount of up and down or side to side replace the turbo.
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Cleaned the metal fuel screen fuel and oil filter and oil. Screen was dirty dirty doesn't sound like its missing at idle anymore. Has more power still not where i think it should be. The turbo seems to take forever to kick in.
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
07-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Prob need to get a boost psi reading and go from there
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
07-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Wouldn't hurt to get a hpo reading as well
Posted via Mobile Device

vaacutabove
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
It was the fuel pump. But now i think the turbo is going bad swore i heard winding when i shut her down tonight. I cant win o well
Posted via Mobile Device