PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with these Lantanas?

wildstarblazer
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Been noticing a lot of Lantana looking bad lately. Was real dry and then we got some good rain lately. No blooms and the stems break right off easily. Petunias are mixed in there too.

Weekend cut easymoney
07-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm missing the lantana--
you mean the dusty miller?

Weekend cut easymoney
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
i think I can see it in the second photo---

Weekend cut easymoney
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
I vote mildew, check to see if you have aphids or any insects on it--

Smallaxe
07-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Sunlight burning the leaves... I've been getting that on a lot of plants with some of them being scorched white... The solar flares are no joke this summer...

Florida Gardener
07-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Uhmmm...last time I checked, lantana is a full sun, drought tolerant plant....
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Uhmmm...last time I checked, lantana is a full sun, drought tolerant plant....
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes indeed. Likely too much water.

Florida Gardener
07-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm also going to vote for too much shade....hard to see in that pic where the lantana actually are, but if it's where I think it is, it could be getting too much shade. I have a property that had all new landscape put in right when I started the maintenance. The idiot contractor put lantana right under some decent sized live oaks. After a couple months, all the lantana thinned and died.....full sun means full sun
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a site where 60 were planted in full sun. There was an ommision of irrigation as well. Needless to say more than 2/3 of them died in the first season, maybe even 4/5. However those that remain, over 7 years later are thriving through our Texas summers including a very bad drought and heat wave last year.

Florida Gardener
07-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I have a site where 60 were planted in full sun. There was an ommision of irrigation as well. Needless to say more than 2/3 of them died in the first season, maybe even 4/5. However those that remain, over 7 years later are thriving through our Texas summers including a very bad drought and heat wave last year.
Well, every plant needs to be properly watered at installation until establishment. I have yet to lose plants I install as I strictly tell the customers to water all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, every plant needs to be properly watered at installation until establishment. I have yet to lose plants I install as I strictly tell the customers to water all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Again however this is a remarkable testimony to how drought resistant these plants are once established. Even newly planted lantana will do poorly with too much water. ( or too little sun )

wildstarblazer
07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm leaning toward too much water not enough sun for this case. However I see them all over town looking sad as well, even ones that are in full sun. I hardly ever see lantana have problems but this year has been different.

Duekster
07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Are those the Dallas Lantana?, if so they are not as hardy as some of the basic yellow gold but I have seen them do well in Las Vegas.

wildstarblazer
07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Anne marie hybrid

Duekster
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
That is not one I see around here.
We have Alkaline soils.