PDA

View Full Version : Help pricing

matt25738
07-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Need some help pricing a job. Were pricing him for both weekly and bi-weekly visits. The owner pays a lot of attention to detail, which is what my company is built on. I want to make sure I find the right price. And yes I know that pricing depends on what your overhead is and other factors. But if you were pricing this job for your company, how much would you charge per cut for a standard growing season visit??

The Grounds Crew
07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
First off what mower will you be using and what is the drive time get there.
Just figure out your costs and how long the job will take.
Most people wont tell you a price.

matt25738
07-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I've got a Z trak that I'll be using on the top part and standard push mowers for the hill. The previous company had been leaving terrible lines in the yard from what appears to be either a stand on or zero turn. I'm thinking a regular walk behind is going to be the only way to not leave those types of lines...

As far as distant to get there, its already on one of our routes so it wouldn't create any additional driving.

Any kind of ball park figure would be helpful.

BPS##
07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
$50 and that hill does not look too steep to use the ztrak on.

Just alternate your cutting pattern.

cpllawncare
07-21-2012, 12:39 AM
$60 / week full service though not mo and go

Florida Gardener
07-21-2012, 01:41 AM
$60 / week full service though not mo and go

No way, too low. If they wanted everything taken care of, I'd be at $350/mo, easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
07-21-2012, 07:11 AM
No way, too low. If they wanted everything taken care of, I'd be at $350/mo, easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

What's everything to you? Same as the others about 50 bucks a cut.

Tizzy
07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
id be 70 pr cut. maybe a little less. id have to see it in person.

Darryl G
07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
$25/cut just to get into that subdivision, lol.

But seriously...to do a top notch job on it I'd probably be in the $80 -$85/week range. It doesn't look like a good prospect for bi-weekly service.

Florida Gardener
07-21-2012, 02:45 PM
What's everything to you? Same as the others about 50 bucks a cut.

Weed control in beds, plant care(minus hard cutbacks) etc. that looks like Bermuda, so of I was reel cutting I would probably be in the 1-K/mo range
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
07-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Weed control in beds, plant care(minus hard cutbacks) etc. that looks like Bermuda, so of I was reel cutting I would probably be in the 1-K/mo range
Posted via Mobile Device

I think he is asking for a mow and blow price.

matt25738
07-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks, I appreciate everyones help. Put my bid in, hopefully I'll get the job.

Dave does lawns
07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I appreciate everyones help. Put my bid in, hopefully I'll get the job.

people gave you their price, care to share what you actually bid it at?

matt25738
07-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Not at all, $325 per month for year round plus chemical.
Posted via Mobile Device

matt25738
07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Ps I'm still worried in under bid because of that hill but hopefully this will be our key to getting into that neighborhood
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Not at all, $325 per month for year round plus chemical.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that's kind of low if your including chems...unless its just roundup for the beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eric's Lawnservice
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I've got a Z trak that I'll be using on the top part and standard push mowers for the hill. The previous company had been leaving terrible lines in the yard from what appears to be either a stand on or zero turn. I'm thinking a regular walk behind is going to be the only way to not leave those types of lines...

As far as distant to get there, its already on one of our routes so it wouldn't't create any additional driving.

Any kind of ball park figure would be helpful.

It looks like the lines are from the blades scalping the high areas of turf because of the combination of cut height, and the wide wheel base of a ZTR.
Also the lawn is probably rutted from being mowed in the same pattern over and over with the same type mower.

matt25738
07-24-2012, 09:47 PM
@diamondlandscaping what would you have priced the yard at and how do you justify charging more than that?? (I don't mean that sarcastically btw). I just wanna hear others opinions so that I can better my company.

@Eric's Lawnservice: What would you do to correct this if you won the yard?? Besides the crab grass, that is the biggest issue that client had with his previous service.

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
@diamondlandscaping what would you have priced the yard at and how do you justify charging more than that?? (I don't mean that sarcastically btw). I just wanna hear others opinions so that I can better my company.

@Eric's Lawnservice: What would you do to correct this if you won the yard?? Besides the crab grass, that is the biggest issue that client had with his previous service.

I would have been at $350/mo to do the lawn, weed control in beds, and plant care. I wouldn't include hard cutbacks/pruning in that price...just trimming. I charge extra for fertilizer. To do a property right and get all the details, especially when it comes to plant care, it usually takes more time than you think....

My justification? That's my price and it is a good amount of work....

Puddle of Oil
07-24-2012, 10:16 PM
80 bucks for just mowing, blowing, edging and trimming. Bi weekly at least 100 depending on how fast it grows.

matt25738
07-24-2012, 10:17 PM
@diamondlandscape If this was your crew then, how many hours/number of employees would you allot per visit for this property?

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 10:22 PM
@diamondlandscape If this was your crew then, how many hours/number of employees would you allot per visit for this property?

Depends...summer we would spend more time and winter a lot less. In the summer, 2 guys should be in and out in an hour 15 or so... One guy on the mower, the other guy edging and weedeating...then trim/spray as needed, blow and go. Winter time would be way less....
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 10:25 PM
If you deal with a lot of hills in your area, I would buy a wright stander...no push mowing hills...
Posted via Mobile Device

matt25738
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Diamond. You've been extremely helpful. And Yes we deal with alot of hills in my area. I've never heard of wright though, why would you choose that over brands like toro and ex mart??

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks Diamond. You've been extremely helpful. And Yes we deal with alot of hills in my area. I've never heard of wright though, why would you choose that over brands like toro and ex mart??

The wright stander is the original stander...I have one and love it. Works great on hills. Toro has the grandstand which a lot of people seem to like as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
The wright stander is the original stander...I have one and love it. Works great on hills. Toro has the grandstand which a lot of people seem to like as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

We use Toro standers hills or no hills they work great for all conditions, planning on buying another one for next season, at the end of the year.

Eric's Lawnservice
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure on the best way to correct it for your application. you could roll the lawn when it is moist from alot of rain, you could fill visible ruts with sand/soil mix. Definatly start changing direction of the cut, or simply raise the cut height a 1/4"... or all of the above! you start rattling off alot of intricate directions on how to repair a yard and the customers eyes start spinning and POW! you give em a price :drinkup:
I would probably start with raising the deck height. If I can get away with it:walking:
a push mower will fix it but it will slow you down. a Walk behind should be light enough to where it won't sink in too bad in favorable conditions, raise the height, and alternate the direction each time if possible.

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 11:06 PM
We use Toro standers hills or no hills they work great for all conditions, planning on buying another one for next season, at the end of the year.

I agree, I was just telling Matt that if he deals with a lot of hills he should def get a stander
Posted via Mobile Device

matt25738
07-24-2012, 11:12 PM
How much did you pay for yours and what size deck did you end up going with??? You've got me pretty interested in them.

Florida Gardener
07-24-2012, 11:19 PM
How much did you pay for yours and what size deck did you end up going with??? You've got me pretty interested in them.

I have a 36" fixed deck. I bought it in 2008 and paid 5-K. Weight has a seasonal buying program. If you purchase end of November till first week in January, you get 17% off msrp. Seeing the size of properties you have you should def get a 48" at the least... The 48" and up decks also have their new aero core deck which is supposed to be a huge upgrade over the last deck...check out their webpage for more info.
Posted via Mobile Device

matt25738
07-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate all the help

coolluv
07-25-2012, 07:21 AM
I think your price was right but some newbie without a clue or Paco will underbid you. If they are getting other quotes you will not get it. Let us know if you get it. Don't even offer bi-weekly, you don't want those customers anyway.

Dave...